[Guide] Why do players from certain countries feel the need to show their flag? (and not others)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Inzababa, Oct 2, 2017.

1. OpolE

I'm repping the UK Union Jack

I think some countries have:

Less players
    Less disposable income
    Targeted more for being foreign to regular country players
    Less online show off/national pride
    Some countries might not really be allowed to play so on a VPN etc
  2. Turekson

Maybe large language groups play a role here. There are enough Russian, French and German players so they have big outfits where they can communicate in their native language. So there is an element of nationality already present.

Most other players communicate in English, instead of their native language. Even UK players might not consider the English language to be a national thing to the same extent as others, since it has become more or less the world language.

In addition, many countries don't have their flags represented in the game at all.
  3. PlanetBound

The flag decal is pretty cheap.
  4. Humoreske

I do not care about that. however, as there are nervous players, it feels like risk.
  5. breeje

i did always run with my Belgium flag, national pride even if our small country is very divided and with 3 nationale languages
    the best part of my flag is that other outfits from surrounding countries always invite me cause they know i speak or understand there language
    when playing with my outfit everything is in English and i install my cool outfit tag
  6. ObiVanuKenobi

I'm not using the flag decal because i don't care about my country. I use flags of Sweden (looks like NC) and Switzerland (looks like TR) as camo sometimes.
  7. Chluchcop

Is it possible for you to add the South African flag in the decal section please. (PC)
  8. math368

I am French when displaying my flag especially for other players to come and speak in my language I speak a little bit of English and for me sometimes it is quite difficult to speak in English I find it unfortunate especially possible a flag option on our profile to know what nationality and the players and speaking to them in the right language could also facilitate recruitment.
  9. DarkQuark

It is perfectly natural and acceptable for everyone to have pride in their country. Plus, knowing where players are from I find a really cool thing.
  10. NotziMad

You missed the point.

yo u posted in the wrong thread and in doing so, necroed a post from 2017 :)))))))

PS. Inzababa is one of my accounts

PS2. the answer I found out much later, and in most cases, it was so that it would help recuiting.
  11. Exileant

;) I always liked how the American Flag looked as opposed to the other countries. Yes, I am proud to be American, and do not mind people knowing where I come from, but it is more about how it looks in contrast to the 3 colors of the factions. My American Flag goes with EVERYTHING! I am a consensual victim to fashion. OoooooWE! :eek: A close second to me is the German flag and Russian Flag. I would proudly fly a German Flag as well as I grew up in Europe.
    • Up x 1
  12. JustGotSuspended

Some people aren't even allowed to buy DBC from certain countries, which explains the lack of certain flags. It's ridiculous that they left out the GCC countries because they are heavily invested in gaming and get free money from their governments each month, so literally the best places to advertise nationalistic elements in a video game.

On that note just wanna point out that the Arabic keyboard characters are still supported in game but are not properly implemented. What I mean by this is they currently are being written from left to right, like English characters, which prevents the letters from being attached. It would be nice if they fixed it so Arabic in game writes right to left, you the letters can attach and have actual meaning. Not the end of the world here, but would be something nice that doesn't seem to challenging? I mean they did it for Chinese characters...?
  13. JibbaJabba

Fun fact:

If you put on a Brazilian flag, people will complain about your lag even if you don't have any.
    If you put on a Japanese flag, people will accuse you of being a hacker.

Also certain bigots will say **** too. :p
    • Up x 1
  14. ThanksPS2

A lot of those into shooters tend to be quite the nationalistic type, especially and including military shooters. I don't know if I can call PlanetSide 2 a military shooter (technically it is, but the popular imagination of a military shooter doesn't really include sci-fi tech with certain narrow exceptions).

This seems to especially be the case on the Miller server IME.
  15. HexJei

I'm more confused about all the flags being different prices.

I understand some regions have a larger player base than others, so amping up the price for popular regions yields more profit (not really, it's just a sink), but it's really weird. I can't say I'm offended, I've just never seen a game charge more or less for certain flags, normally they're all equal.

On topic: I normally represent the US flag in most games specifically because of Chinese players. There's a rivalry between NA (arguably the rest of the world as well) and China that purely revolves around the phrase "CHINA NUMBA ONE". With my flag presented, it prompts Chinese players to yell the phrase if and when they beat me, which prompts me to go in full sweat mode to beat them and then shout "NA NUMBA ONE".

The back and forth creates a really weird bond of pride which I thoroughly enjoy, and is probably one of the least toxic rivalries you'll ever witness because it revolves around a meme.
  16. Scurge

I like that people will wear a flag for that kind of pride, but I wonder how many people are from that country? LOL

Back in the days of old someone took a picture of the old spawner, the AMS, and put a Mexican flag on it and got into some trouble. Guess BD is completely different from SOE.
    • Up x 1
  17. BraveAndy

I am Russian-American! I recently started an outfit called Learning The Russian Way! ]RHOS[ on Emerald. You have probably heard of Gay Pride. Well, let me tell you. Russian Pride is on the same level if not larger. Russians have a huge need to feel their country is respected which is why I started this outfit. I want the Russian flag to be on bases from time to time. I know NC has a Russian outfit but they are not very active. I wanted to recreate something similar on VS. I dont care if you are Russian or not. It's just cool to say that Russians are coming when bases show the flag. Anyone can join but I am mostly trying to recruit people with Russian names. I also have themed ranks using Russian historic military titles :) Join my great outfit!