I think my PL has an opinion

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RabidIBM, Jan 5, 2021.

1. RabidIBM

Let's see how long it takes for this post to get taken down :)
    [IMG]
    • Up x 5
  2. Liewec123

yups Hossin is pretty bad,
    could be worse though! could be New Esamir ;)

didnt know we can draw on the map though!
  3. ZDarkShadowsZ

It's really sad. I like the revamped Esamir, and I do like the storm.

What I do dislike about the storm is that it makes a beeline for the biggest fight, kills all the vehicles, and buggers off elsewhere. It should be made so it wanders the continent in random directions, and/or make it so that it just makes vehicles perform a bit worse but not outright destroys them.
    • Up x 2
  4. Exitus Acta Probat

I actually prefer Hossin

**** Indar!
  5. JibbaJabba

Hating Hossin is a litmus test for bad players. It's a harder continent, they struggle there and hate it.
    • Up x 2
  6. JustGotSuspended

I always hated amerish most, and now the new esamir takes that spot.

Hossin is cool, and has great potential for some epic infantry play. I really miss those "early expeditions" back in the day. I really like the fact some bases actually incorporate the terrain, there's even treehouse bases! And it's also the only continent without those empty vehicle capture bases, and actual defenses against a2g farmers.

That said, it would be a lot better if they actually finished it, because it does get annoying when every other base is a construction site.
    • Up x 2
  7. JustGotSuspended

nah you can't disrespect indar like that. Even though the old esamir was my favorite, Indar is still THE iconic planetside 2 destination.

I miss the og maps though, I used to have such fun moments as a light assault at broken arch or scared mesa, or THE CROWNNNNN. Even ns offices which was total cancer at the time holds some nostalgic memories.

Would be nice to have these back
  8. RabidIBM

Separates the "bad" players? Lol! No, I hate it because my tank takes collision damage from every pumpkin and rotten tree route, it takes for bloody ever to drive anywhere, and half the bases are construction sites. I don't want to fight at the same base all the time! When I move to a new base, I want, you know, a new base! Even a bunch of the ones not named construction sites are construction sites. It's boring! Also it takes forever to kick off an alert, usually requiring outfits from opposing factions to agree to who will start it just to get the blank off of Hossin.
  9. OldSchoolD

Hossin : The last continent where you can have 2 Biolab farms going at the same time ;)
    • Up x 1
  10. Johannes Kaiser

So disliking concrete plants and swampy visuals makes one a bad player? Okay, swallowing that apple then, I guess.
    • Up x 4
  11. UberNoob1337101

Love Hossin to bits, but it's understandable why ppl hate it. When playing on a potato my PC couldn't handle Hossin above 10FPS, even now it can dip under 30 in big fights. Hossin plants are awesome until you try to drive a vehicle near one or move through them. Buggy water means you can't shoot objects in said water, you have to knife them (knifing mines, yikes). Unfinished construction bases are pretty good for what they are but they really don't fit in some places. Some linear paths could use an offroad track, some tunnels, or literally any addition. Hossin mountains are usually empty plateaus with nothing on them, a real shame. Color palette is glowing plants of whatever color, dark brown or dry green, visuals are uninspired and dull, the fog is too thick at times, it looks too much like a continent-sized swamp.

Even so, I think the good outweighs the bad. A lot of bases are big, maze-like and interesting. Three-ways, forts, treehouses, some really unique bases that are only made more unique as the wackier bases from Esamir and Indar got removed. For every bad moment I get stuck in plants and vines there's hiding in overgrowth, flying from tree to tree, multi-story trees and buildings. Had cases where hiding right behind doorways and in foliage won 1v1s and even small fights. There's tons of verticality, and there's a really good balance between cover and openness. Flying in Hossin is fun. Or flying a Magrider up a mountain or up to roofs of bases. When night falls or the sun shines, Hossin can look really good.

It might not be great all-round, but it's worth a try. Different from the rest.
    • Up x 1
  12. JibbaJabba

Yes.

All the good players drive around the F'ing plants and they leverage the swampy visuals to get a drop on you.

What is it with people and crashing into plants?
  13. Crash Bandicoot

Well, he actually said that he dislikes them and not that he finds any significant difficulty with them. Either way, that is not the case. It's just unpleasant for many players, good or bad.
    • Up x 2
  14. DarkQuark

Personally, I like the visuals but all the junk that you have to go around and or climb over is annoying as all heck.
  15. ican'taim

bring back hossin fog, will look 10x better.
  16. JibbaJabba

It's still there. It's just super rare now.
  17. Demigan

If it is a litmus test, it's about who is willing to ignore the flaws of a continent and blame others for (potentially) reasonable reasons to dislike it.

A simple list of reasons why the continent could be considered bad:

• It's not even finished.
    • Rail-roaded layout of the continent. Most paths to the next base are narrow corridors with little to no alternative paths to take. There's even many bases using vehicle gate shields to prevent players from taking long alternative paths.
    • Tiny plants that (still) can block your multi-ton vehicle, lots of them. Limiting the maneuverability in the few area's where you actually can take alternative paths.
    • Water that can hide mines. And no the fact that there is a semi-useful implant that can spot mines sometimes does not make it OK. No tool, gadget or implant should ever be a mandatory choice (and the game violates that rule plenty).
    • The bases range from horrible mirrored bases with little room to move or change the battle (more so than Biolabs, which offer more alternative ways to keep fighting) to some of the best bases in the game.
    • Almost all area's favor a more claustrophobic fighting style for both vehicles and infantry with little variation.
    • While tauted as the bane of aircraft, the trees everywhere allow them to launch quick attacks almost unopposed with practically guaranteed escapes from any G2A as long as you don't fly directly into a tree.
  18. JibbaJabba

I know. It was started last after the designers had more experience. Then never finished
    By design. Simply skews the same choice given on other continents: Either slug it out in a forced ground battle, or take to the skies... Back to the litmust test: Good players already lean towards one method, bad players the other.
    Yep, it's harder. The items that block are meant to. They block all factions fairly, and give infantry and vehicles another thing to work with. It's harder for vehicles .. equally. People that are good at dealing with these challenges will have an advantage over those that aren't. Vehicles that do teamwork and combined arms in the unfavorable terrain will succeed.
    Yep, it's harder. Oh.... you want mines to be nearly useless like they are on all the other continents. :D They are too easy to see as it is. Implants obsoleted mineguard on all continents, not just hossin.
    Nothing particularly wrong with the constructions bases other than they are repeated. A single such base would be fine. Those that aren't construction rock. Some of the best in the game. Lots of verticality. Lots of "sub arenas". Lots of protection for offensive sundies.
    It's a skill thing like the rest of the continent. Air is harder. Period. If you are good you get an advantage as a reward. If you are not good, you die more.

It may or may not be your favorite. I stick by my assertion though... hating it is a litmus test for bad players. Cuz it's hard.
  19. Demigan

Yes by design, doesn't make it a good design. Also I would like to see the criteria for "good players" here.

But that is the point: Due to the rail-roaded continent design there isn't a lot of teamwork or combined arms to be had. It's a slugmatch to get the other end because there's almost no alternative routes to engage your opponent other than full-frontal.

Saying something makes it harder for everyone equally is no magic wand that makes it OK. Because any continent-designed item, furniture, building or piece of environment is in that sense "equal" to all sides. Yet if we made a bamboo-forest continent where you can't see more than 10 feet unless on one of the tiny roads the entire design is just bad because the only real option is CQC weaponry, spam and only using HE vehicles with C4 protection.

Mines are surprisingly good performers for something "useless" due to the cheese factor they have. Also no I don't want mines to be useless, in fact I want them to have more tactical value. Rather than OHK wonders that you can place half into the terrain, just beyond a rise in the terrain or near spawnpoints they could represent deterrents that require effort to overcome but also require the people who own them to be actually present and make use of their effects or have them dismantled. For example by making AV mines a series of smaller mines spread over a larger area instead of what we have now.

The design of many of these bases is bad from the outset, just like some are excellent.

It's not a skill thing. If you can keep your aircraft from hitting the ground consistently you can already dominate on many bases of Hossin. Hossin is pretty much the most low-skill continent for aircraft. Just like most tactics used on Hossin are low-skill cheese. You quite literally just defended mines under water! You defended AV mines period. AV mines are the pinnacle of non-skill, as it is one of the safest methods to scoring a kill with relatively little actual skill required to place them on good spots.

Like most players I think of myself as above average, but I also think that I have the performance stats to prove it. If above average means I'm still a bad according to your test, what kind of skill is required to succeed at your litmus test?

I'll add something to my previous assertion: It's not just a litmus test on who willingly ignores a continent's faults, but also a test for who is willing to embrace low-skill cheese. Because that's what the continent symbolizes. A failed continent of cheese tactics.
  20. iller

Nice try, but no one else is buying it. It's only you who thinks this way
    • Up x 3