[Suggestion] Top 3 things that need to be reworked is PS2 because they are abused

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DarkQuark, Dec 28, 2020.

1. DarkQuark

1) Cloak - ESPECIALLY on vehicles
    Who knew the most deadly thing on the battlefield of the future was an invisible ATV.
    Only Sunderers should have cloak in my opinion.

2) C-4
    On Auraxis the phrase, "make it rain" has a completely different meaning.
    Only 1 class should have C-4, pick one.

3) Orbital Strike
    Please, just make it stop.
    A game based on large battles has a easily accessible mechanic to stop/slow said large battle. Huh?

There are just my opinions.
    • Up x 1
  2. JustGotSuspended

Yup, with the clientside and 1hk mechanics, the cloak is an absolutely broken and cheesy way to safely amass kills. Does not fit with the game's nature. Only the sunderer one is trash, or at least only moderately useful in hiding against aerial threats.

The downside of equipping C4 is that you're trading the potential of being able to heal yourself 4 times. C4 is powerful yes, but it has been nerfed quite heavily against infantry, and the trigger delay will leave you dead more than once. C4 delay should be removed, and stay available to the classes it currently is, no use limiting it to once class since people will complain anyways. What needs to be removed is the C4-rocklet combo. Light assaults should only be able to equip either the rocklet rifle or the C4, not both. Or the rifle can be removed in general, and that's coming from a dude who auraxed it.

Orbital strikes, bastions, collosus......things no one asked for, and no one enjoys trying to fight. As much as some people will try to defend bastions with 'oh yeah, but if you really want to kill it, grab 100000000 esfs and it'll go down really quick', there's no reason for these things to be in the game, and they often generate more harm than good.
    • Up x 1
  3. InexoraVC

1. respawn/redeploy delay (has to be decreased!)
    2. Striker
    3. Dalton
    4. Banshee
    • Up x 1
  4. DarkQuark

Good points for sure. Although I still think C-4 as powerful as it is should come with a higher cost or less use by the way of less access to it.

I actually like the idea of the OS, Bastion and Collosus. But I greatly dislike the implementation of the OS. Unlike the other 2, the OS has a relatively low cost and gets spammed. The Bastion and Collosus have high costs and require coordination for them to be effective. All 3 are things we should not see very often.

Just my 2 cents.
    • Up x 1
  5. Zipr

1) IF it is so "OP"? I'd run it deep and hard to up the stat anty Pretty sure you will find it is used by skilled players (at times) only encouraged to use such tactics...

2) Battlefield awareness? Maybe you need to consider running Prox Radar? I mean unless you running Light Assault? Need some skill and/or luck to deliver some C4 Infil's running around w/ Cortium bombs and I'm supposed to be concerned when some enemy chooses C4 over Med Kits etc.

3) Really seems like some Folks just do not get much time in game before they draw the wrong conclusions Maybe some read too much? Believe half of what ya see much.... One example of a somewhat effective OS is a closer or finishing blow Problem is that it sometimes is a fail Worse yet it ignites the enemy who may have just been planning to regroup elsewhere Now they possibly retaliate w/ they're own OS and continue the fight (Sometimes they really messed up and the enemy places a Citadel Shield)
  6. Exileant

:eek: No.... No... and NO..... If you do not like the mechanics, Battlefield, is available. There, you have boring limits on everything, no cloaks and where everyone is so board the simply sit and spawn kill. The main people who claim the the tactics are cheesy are the main ones unable to repeat them. o_O Orbital strikes are only cried about by the people unable to drop them. C4...... Seriously..... The only class they can be used properly on is light assault. :D Why on EARTH are you complaining about people who have to RUN UP ON YOU ON FOOT or RIDE AT YOU, GET OUT, THEN PLANT before taking 5 seconds to press detonate, because soldiers here have to concentrate to use their thumbs....

:confused: Orbitals are KEY, to war games. ;) If the game has no Nuke, I cannot look at it anymore. I love ya, but I vote NAY!!!!!!!
  7. MonnyMoony

1. Flash and Harasser roadkill cheese. Both Flashes and Harassers can plow through groups of infantry and even Maxes without suffering a single point of damage or even a change in speed or direction - as if the things they are hitting are made out of thin air. This is a ridiculous mechanic.

A Flash should suffer damage and get a large momentum reduction for every infantryman hit. It should also suffer catastrophic damage when hitting a Max at full pelt. Maxes shouldn't die to a Flash hit (maybe taken down the half health if the Flash is going full pelt).

Harasser probably shouldn't take damage from an infantryman hit - but should at least suffer a small momentum reduction for each hit which would hinder it somewhat when plowing through large groups. Harasser should also suffer significant damage and momentum reduction when hitting a Max. Don't mind if the Max dies to a Harasser at full pelt - but the Harasser shouldn't get away lightly from the encounter.

2. ADAD and crouch/stand spam. If momentum cant be added to infantry, then ADADing or crouching/standing rapidly should increase your weapon's cone of fire in much the same way as as running or jumping does (perhaps increasing each time you make a rapid change of direction). There is nothing wrong with dodging or strafing left and right or crouching - but you shouldn't be able to maintain full weapon accuracy whilst doing so.

3. Heavy "I win shield". This should be reworked so that it can only be turned on when not actively taking fire (with a short cool down after the last hit of damage - say 0.5 seconds). The heavy over shield should be a tactical tool that is activated prior to making a charge, rather than as a reflex activated "I win" tool.
    • Up x 1
  8. Peebuddy

Been playing since the Tech test and to this day what really bothers me the most is re-deploy side.

50/50 fight, about to take the base, BOOM suddenly it's 3-1, they easily tsunami over everyone and destroy your ams' in 2 minutes, rinse & repeat at another base.

Steel rain is what's supposed to grant a massive influx of players at a point in trouble, but with re-deployside it's completely useless when you can just respawn across the map for free. The problem is the balance calculator doesn't really adjust to an influx of players fast enough and entire platoons can spawn before the anti-zerg function kicks in, ffs update this feature already.

or have other methods of capturing bases, even PS 1 had multiple ways to going about it.

1) Capture the flag (had many good fights with this one in PS1, the zerg wouldn't leave the safety of the base they were trying to take to defend the flag runner and we had many good fights inbetween facilities)
    2) Destroy 3-5 objectives (harder to gaze at a glance if you're about to lose the base)
    3) King-of-the-hill, once enough attackers are at a facility a timer starts and who controls the point the longest will get it. (I really want this, this prevents the last minute zerg fits from simply playing re-deployside an entire alert. If you want to keep a base you have to defend it a minimum 51% of the timer)
    4) Resource collection w/ ants or something, overload the core and it blows up. (this way outfits can't just hold themselves up inside indestructible buildings they have to *gasp* go outside and prevent a meltdown)

This game is 8 years old now and they've ever only had capture-and-hold facilities which are notoriously beneficial to re-deployside tactics. But it seems that after multiple acquisitions and rebrands everyone seems to just cover their eyes and plug their ears about the extremely game breaking mechanic this is.
  9. JustGotSuspended

I'll dismiss the first point, because roakills register 1/10 times anyways, and it's not a you're right/wrong issue.

Your point about strafing is false. It does reduce accuracy, which is why people burst fire while adasing. Try holding down the trigger while strafing and you'll see for yourself.

Second, you want the shield to be turned on while not taking fire....that's resist shield right? The whole point of the other shields is to absorb damage. If you need to have them constantly on, you're just making yourself a slower, brighter target, and your shield will be drained by the time you're engaged. No, that's just silly. The shield is fine where it is, if not underpowered - it allows only for a 2 bullets or one headshot of survivability. Good players don't even use the shield to win 1v1s.
  10. RabidIBM

Cloak: The problem isn't the cloak itself, it's the road kill mechanics, and the durability of some of what should be light vehicles. An ATV would not survive a hit from an anti tank weapon, for example. If the physics regarding ramming were improved, as mentioned by MonnyMoony, I don't think the cloak would be a problem. Also, upside down flash should kill the rider.

C-4: I never really liked it, I just accept that it exists and incorporated it into my play. My Lightning always has radar. Personally I think throwing it is BS, it should have to be placed. I would even be ok with it getting it's old damage back if you had to look at the surface it's going to attach to and complete a half second channel to place it.

Rocklets: When these got added, I wondered "why?". They were a solution looking for a problem. Again, while I don't like them, I've learned to account for them, and use them since they're there. I wouldn't cry if they just went away though. Assets that cost nanite should be scary to those who haven't spent nanite. Rocklets are a 0 nanite way to beat things that cost nanite, and the game didn't feel like it was missing them before they existed.

Pocket OS: Utterly toxic for game play. The game wasn't missing these before they existed, and their implementation didn't just step on the toes of construction players, it stomped all over them. I've advocated for milder reductions in the availability of these things, as that is more likely to happen than their actual removal. However, to be entirely honest, I don't think even the old HIVEs hold a candle to how much pocket OS messes with game play.

Redeployside: This is a problem that a few efforts have been made to reduce, but nothing effective. Even things like that you "can't" spawn into a defensive fight that your faction already overpops, except you can, if you are willing to tolerate a minute of annoying process, which is still faster than driving. When redeployed, all spawns should be available to avoid the need for repeated redeploys, but the distant timers should be long enough that players use transport vehicles because they are actually faster than redeploying.

AD/crouch spam: I would love to see the military who have it in their doctrine "when receiving fire from the enemy, troops should start doing squats to avoid getting hit in the head". This is one of the dumber things in PS2. Crouching shouldn't throw aim, as dropping to a crouch position and coming up on aim is a real thing, but standing up again should take longer, should slow movement for a second, much like repeated jumping, and should throw the cone of fire for a second. This way crouch spamming would stack the penalties for standing up, and negate this dumb meta. Similar things should happen with AD spam. They've done a decent job with jumping, as "bunny hopping" was a thing in older FPSs, and thankfully is not in PS2. They need to recognize that AD/crouch spam is the new bunny hopping.

New section: Things others have complained about here that I will defend:

Colossi: These things are not OP. The real proof of that is that many outfits pass on making them in favor of spending the weight on other things, like heavy anvils to get sunderers into good places. I'm also sure I'm not the only one on the forum who has caught one of these not properly guarded and made short work of it. I've even participated in bastion ops where the bastion pilot countered 4 colossi with a full platoon of armour by face tanking them. 4 colossi + tank platoon vs bastion. The bastion won. This is not to say that I would recommend this strategy, but it worked because in that instance the bastion pilot played well, and the colossi tankers played poorly. Equipment is OP when it allows players to play poorly and win anyways. Deployment of colossi is a claim of armoured superiority, which must then be defended when enemies challenge it. They are very deadly when uncountered, but I feel they mesh well as another tool to win.

Bastions: I'm doing it, I'm defending bastions. I didn't like them at first, but by now I've seen enough dud bastions to say they aren't OP, and enough awesome air battles which simply wouldn't have happened if there weren't a bastion to fight over that I'll say they are adding value to the game. They are another way to win, if used properly, and they can be beaten, if countered properly. Just as the deployment of colossi is a claim of armoured superiority, just as deployment of the OS uplink is a claim of supremacy over a piece of ground, the bastion is a claim of air superiority. ... I would like it if builders had some way to stab back though.

Heavy shields: I don't see heavies really dominating the field. They are powerful, and have their uses, but I don't see them as unfair. If you can show me some stats of heavy assaults clearing dominating fights then you might have a point, but I don't think they need a nerf.

And, I'm on the fence about the mentions of striker, dalton and banshee. Would I cry of them getting retooled? No. Do I think they are the tall peg? Also no.

After all that, the thing I would add to this conversation: bug fixes! Some of these bugs have been around for a while. People still sometimes end up with people muted and have to find them, hold q on them mute, then unmute to fix it. Dismounting from a vehicle after direct spawn into it sometimes redeploys you to the pad the vehicle was pulled from. Players sometimes get spawned in places they didn't select. Sometimes the whole world is a no build area and I have to relog. These are just a few examples, all have been reported, repeatedly, for years.
    • Up x 1
  11. MonnyMoony

The point is - it should stack every time you change direction, getting worse over time. Personally though - I think adding some momentum would be a better option as it would reduce the hit box glitching that can occur when people ADAD or crouch spam.

I'm not saying have it constantly on. It should be a tactical tool that is activated just prior to rushing from cover to perform a charge or breaching manoeuvre.

I disagree about it not being used 1v1. Almost every time I get the drop on a HA and unload a mag into them, they just pop their shield on, spin around and in many cases, out DPS me to achieve a kill.
  12. DarkQuark

This right here is a great point. I almost listed the collision kills in the top 3 because it is ridiculous and it's highly abused. But I think if you remove cloak from vehicles not Sundys it more or less solves most of this problem. But you are right, I think a change in speed after running something over is needed as well.
  13. JustGotSuspended

myth

Also there is momentum when strafing, which is why there's an implant to counter that.

Oddly enough, I rarely have that problem. I can easily down 2-3 heavies with my carbine. Why? Because I choose my engagements, and I aim for the head. LMGs have longer ttk AND worse accuracy than other weapons, which means if you're getting out-dpsed, you're doing something wrong.
    • Up x 1
  14. DarkQuark

This right here. For years in games I hated bunny hopping and the crouch thing is just as stupid and it's everywhere on my server now. It's quite ridiculous.

I think all this great discussion and the good ideas is making the overall point that PS2 needs some TLC beyond adding new flashy things that make for good marketing but end up sometimes making existing problems worse. It's time to address some of the problems now.

Just my 2 cents.
  15. MonnyMoony

Hit box glitching is not a myth - and the rest of your argument simply boils down to "git-gud", which in my experience is usually the argument employed by people who rely on exploits and cheesy mechanics.
    • Up x 1
  16. JustGotSuspended

hitbox glitching is a myth invented by those unable to replicate a proper crouch/strafe/evasive maneuver to throw off a person's aim. I challenge you to pull up any sort of evidence claiming otherwise, it's simply not possible.

Based on what you've described, the issue is with you, not the shields. Seriously, if you're the one clientsiding regular players AND you still manage to lose, you should rethink your strategy, and learn to aim better. I simply provided you with the information that the shield doesn't do much, lmgs have higher ttk, and personal experience as a light assault/engineer main reveals heavy assaults die just as quickly as any other class. You arrived at the conclusion that there is an issue with your skill-level/playstyle by yourself.

There's a difference between "git-gud" and explaining why you aren't good. Git-gud coming from a 1hk clientside infil or an a2g spammer is silly. Explaining that you failed to use the numerous advantages you had to win the engagement, regardless of whether the dude propped his shield or not is different. Everyone else is able to counter the heavy's shield with little issue. The fact you struggle is not an issue with the mechanic, but rather yourself. I can only tell you to aim for the head, and in most cases that will kill the heavy before he's even able to press F, or will limit the effectiveness of the shield.

You can check my stats or record me in game, I doubt you'll find me using cheese or exploits to get a kill.
  17. Exileant

:confused: You say Outfit Orbitals are toxic, yet you defend something that will last 10-30 minutes with even a TERRIBLE pilot, bombarding multiple bases with maulers (Baby Orbitals) that can easily take out 5-10 people per shot, and Mega-Daltons is fine? Get out of here.... o_O This is why I say leave stuff alone. Orbitals are far less economical than just about any weapon you can buy because it only lasts 1 second. A Colossus can last as long as you do not lose it and a Bastion a full hour of untold destruction. If anything you should be crying about a Bastion destroying 4 Colossus. The Colossus was built almost strictly to counter the Bastion, but a Bastion can reduce one to rubble in under 5 seconds if it has decent gunners. To top it off the points are murder to hit at a safe distance.

:eek: Your complaining is backwards. If you support one, then support them all. I foresee a Bastion ruining your fun far faster than a few orbitals.
  18. JustGotSuspended

This I must agree with. The bastions are absolute infernal cancer to deal with. I've seen more fights die and people log off because of bastions than OS. That doesn't mean OS aren't cancerous, but the bastion is as well. I'd like to see all the outfit assets removed, except for the anvils and maybe steel rain. The regen modules are stupid, the benefit should goo back to the faction owning a base, and everything else just breaks fights and kills fun for the benefit of a few people.

Game was better without those things, now there's spamming of these game breaking things, confusion and drama within outfits for using the things while not authorized, or whatever. These assets are headaches that at best ruin fights, at worst just force half the victimized faction to log off because they can't step out the spawn without getting concussed, thrown around and 1hk by a giant a2g invulnerable farming machine.
  19. DarkQuark

Not sure about the anvil thing personally. The sunderer on demand seems silly to me especially when they end up in places they could normally never be.

Just my take on it.
  20. TheMercator

No, Hitbox glithing is not a myth.
    Why are you trying to argue against something that is known for like 8 years?