[Suggestion] Heavy Overshield Nerf

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Taris26, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Taris26

Not sure if anyone has suggested this before but currently the effective health of a high end heavy assault of the adrenalin + nanoweave armor equals to 1800 effective health.

engineer + nanoweave armor equals to 1250 effective health.

Difference in health is 650.

Now if the heavy shield would be added on top of the nanoweave armor. effective health equals to 1650.
    Which also makes more sense since the shild only has 450 damage resistance.

Would be a minor nerf to the heavy assault shields but i think will make some poeple switch to engineer or other classes more often and not play ha only.

Just a though. Im interested to hear your opinion on that.

Cheers

EDIT: This would also make the resist shield a bit more viable since it only gives 1540 effective health since it completly ignores nanoweave armor!
  2. Taris26

Current:
    Adrenaline + Nano = 1800 EHP
    Suggestion:
    Nano + Adrenaline = 1700 EHP
  3. Taris26

Standard
    Standard + NA
    Infiltrator
    Infiltrator + NA
    Infiltrator + NAC
    Heavy + Nanite Mesh Generator
    Heavy + Adrenaline Shield
    Heavy + Resist Shield
    Heavy + Nanite Mesh Generator + NA
    Heavy + Adrenaline Shield + NA
    Max
    MAX Kinetic Armor
  4. JustGotSuspended

oboi another infil main that doesn't know how a heavy assault works. They've already been nerfed, maybe even too much imo.

First off, the shield AT BEST provides an additional 407hp, not 450. It instantly drains 43hp to activate the shield, drains at 18hp per second regardless of taking damage and reduces movement speed by 25%.

Effectively, activating it makes you a big target with not a lot of hp.

Also a little correction about the resist shield, people use it because the resistance affects headshots, whereas nanoweave and the other shields do not. The shield also drains at a constant rate, not accelerated by taking damage.

You're examining (false) hard numbers, while not taking into account realistic scenarios. I'm not sure you fully understand how the mechanics you want to nerf work, and thinking people will play engineer because of such nerf just further highlights this lack of comprehension.

I main engineer and la btw.
    • Up x 1
  5. RabidIBM

Honestly, I don't see heavy assault dominating the field. Other classes are getting plenty of damage done, meaning the heavy is not OP, therefore no need to nerf.
  6. Taris26

Im not an infil main and will never be one, whole other topic. I also think the infil is too strong.

True there are activation costs as i am concerned these are 25 for adrenaline and 10 for nanite mesh generator. so you end up with 1780 effective health for adrenaline and 1800 effective health for nanite mesh generator. (numbers from wiki)

There is still a huge cap between those two shields and the resist shield (only 1540 ehp).

This is why basically no one is using it. huh what a suprise!

If you think about it nerfing the overshields benefits resist shield greatly and therefore could change how the heavy is used to be played? more like a tank badass pushing into buildings first instead of I win every gunfight badass?
  7. JustGotSuspended

the costs are 43 for the adrenaline, the thing instantly drains the first second (18) plus the 25 so it's actually 43hp you instantly lose each time you switch your shield one.

Anyways, the adreneline shields so fast you'd have to be extremely unlucky to land against a heavy with that much health. And that health's not gonna help them much, they die extremely fast from headshots, because the shield nor nanoweave affect the head.

This is why in some situations the resist shield is actually the better option, because it not only lasts longer, but gives a reduction of headshot damage, which is extremely helpful. You'll survive most sniper shots with resist shield, with the others, you won't. It's why you'll still see some players occasionally pull it. The problem is that the shield takes long to recharge, isn't versatile, and doesn't give you a reliable health bonus.

In the perfect scenarios you describe, where a full health heavy is walking around with a shield that doesn't drain, and has no activation cost, the resist shield would actually give the player more health in most scenarios. The issue is since that health comes from the player's health, and not his shield, the second you lose a bit of hp and activate your shield, you've already lost a sizeable chunk of health. That means to run resist shield effectively you need to have it on before the engagement even begins.

That's not very practical, especially once you factor the movement penalties for having it on. Additionally, the shield doesn't do anything for other types of damage. This means it's a very situational shield, not something you can main with. I'd say it probably fits the playstyle of guns like the naginata, allowing you to stand still while not having to worry too much about snipers. That said, in 99% of the fast-pace, combined-arms scenarios, the adreneline shield is going to have less downtime, and be more reliable thanks to it's versatility.

If I think about it, it makes little sense to nerf something in the hopes of something else becoming the go-to. It's not addressing the root of the issue, much like just removing biolabs and the crown bridge because people fight there. If I want people to use resist shield, I'll buff it to give it a clearer niche, and better fit a role in the game.

Heavy's don't win every gunfight, they die just as fast as regular infantry. Just aim for the head, or be smart when you engage them.
  8. Demigan

The problem isn't the shield, the problem is the lack of alternatives.

The HA is the jack-of-all-trades. It's best for assaulting Points Of Interest, it's best for holding POI's, it's the best free AV you can get (which isn't saying much) and the best free AA without sacrificing it's AI capabilities. Every other class is a specialization, but those specializations aren't as useful most of the time.

The best way to solve this:
    • Move away from the KD culture we have now. Displaying KD less prominently and displaying other stats, like vehicles destroyed or how many chokepoints you've taken from a dug-in enemy, would be key. These stats need to promote actually playing the game in a way that is fun for both sides rather than the "farm them if you can with the least risk to yourself" mentality that has prevailed so far.
    • Introduce more goals and objectives to complete, and tailor these to be more easily completed by other classes. For example if the Medic got a 200 nanite portable spawn it could deploy without any penalties to spawning there other than limiting it's range, let's call it "the Router that should have been", then Medics can modify the frontline on the fly. To destroy these the Infiltrator and the LA would be far better suited, boosting the usefulness of the Medic, Infil and LA with one single ability without making the HA once more the best all-rounder.
  9. Clone117

I hardly use the shield as is when playing ha. I also seem to score majority of my em6 kills by hipfiring. With suppressor and extended mags. I think id rather have a more durable directional shield. Than the overshield. Ive just assumed all those fast tanky heavys were just a combination of specific mobility enhancing op implants, medkits, and netcode exploitation.
  10. csvfr

LA is much better at AV with the C4 and it really costs just 3 minutes of nanite generation for a pair of bricks. Also a better way to promote other classes would be to revert the scoreboard/base-cap changes introduced with outfit wars. Now only kills + point flips count, before score could be obtained with spawns, revives, ammo resupply, repair, sensor darts etc.
    • Up x 3
  11. Bonemiser

Everyone dies so fast in this game that I seriously doubt HA is broken OP right now, especially considering the weapons they use. Maybe if Infiltrators didn't have CQC snipers, or if LA didn't have supreme authority over its engagements, or if medics and engineers didn't have assault rifles, it would be a bigger deal-- but they all have what they have, and between that and good aim beating bad aim, I'm just not seeing the HA edge here. They're slow, they're predictable, they die in 3 hits instead of 2 but that's about it. Getting the first shot matters so much more.
    • Up x 2
  12. Demigan

It's why I mentioned "free AV" as I expected people to immediately point out alternatives if I didn't. The point is that the HA's rocketlauncher is just another tool that helps the HA be either the best or second best at almost any task in the game which makes them so universally good and the most used class.

And yes, changing things like scoreboards and base-cap changes would be a good solution which I also mention, however reverting it wouldn't be that good. The old system also promoted KD whoring using the cheesiest method and then proclaiming you are better than the guy who has been dealing with enemies in superior positions to help his faction. We need a system that encourages players to play as hard as possible no matter what. If you are surrounded and outpopped the players should be encouraged to fight as hard as they can to retake the base anyway rather than preserve their KD by promoting other stats the players can shoot for.
  13. InexoraVC

omg, another nerf thread.
    OP's ability to post should be nerfed :)) No nerf to HA pls.

HA isn't allround solution. There are many cases when the other classe are more usefull.
    Speaking about infantry fights. LA+ambusher+C4 can be more effective than HA in crowded fights with maxes and armor.
    As well as medics/engis/infils.
    Unfortunately engineer can'be competitive to HA in direct contact infantry fights but it plays very important suppot roles, as well can be very very effective on defence with anti-infantry mana and fortify implant.
  14. RabidIBM

Everyone dies so fast in this game? Are you kidding me? This game's troops have cartoonish survivability. Put any armour you want on a mannequin, then shoot it with an anti matetial rifle, then compare the results to this game.
  15. Johannes Kaiser

Compared to some other games, though, the TTK is relatively fast. So yes, they are ridiculously tough compared to the real thing, but some games take that to an even further extreme. And for people who started with those they will feel like they need to be looked at mean to die in PS2.
  16. JustGotSuspended

I also feel as you throw in clientside and the many other factors that affect engagements, you can start to get cases where the ttk is far to low to allow reaction time, or others where the dude will literally be invincible.
    • Up x 1
  17. Demigan

Too much randomness in real-world gunshooting to be realistic. A pistol shot in the wrong place and you die almost instantly, other people survive grenade shrapnel and more than 70 hits by full rifles including to the head and survive long enough to fight off their enemies and get medical treatment.

Just think about it: The head is one of the worst things to shoot. Many bullets (not anti-material rifles) will glance off or push the helmeted skull away instead of going through, while the chest has "just" things like the heart, Aorta and spine which will all pretty much incapacitate or kill you.
  18. MonnyMoony

I'd just be happy if the overshield couldn't be activated whilst the heavy was actively taking fire (with a short cooldown after the last tick of damage).

It should be a tactical tool activated prior to leading a charge - rather than a reflexive "I win" button.