Sure PS2 has issues, but it's still fun.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DarkQuark, Dec 24, 2020.

1. DarkQuark

I have played PS2 for a long time. Sure it has it's problems (nothing is perfect) but at the end of the day I enjoy it and since it is a game that is all that really matters.

I do find a few things enhances game play greatly. Namely not taking anything personal (that is a learned skill) and just not getting involved in the arguments about the game itself.

I hope you are all having fun as well.

Merry Christmas!
    • Up x 9
  2. synkrotron

3. RabidIBM

I agree, and I don't think the people who criticize (and sometimes flame) it actually hate the game, if they did then they wouldn't put the effort in. What frustrates people is the potential the game has, but is not meeting. I do love this game, and hope that it will continue to improve, and post here because I would like a voice in it's ongoing improvement.

Merry Christmas!
    • Up x 1
  4. Exileant

:D Merry Christmas. ;) I am going to drop a few orbitals as a gift to my enemies. :p And then the rest as a proper ringing in of the New Year.
  5. OneShadowWarrior

It’s a classic game like Minecraft.

You can’t expect much on a game with an 8 year old engine. Most video games average a 2-5 year cycle.

Now everything is heading toward DirectX 12 and Nvidia is promoting heavy Ray Tracing, DLSS and Reflex Low Latency. Not that I would get a 3080 RTX to play Cyberjunk 2077.
  6. DarkQuark

Cyberjunk 2077! LOL ! That's a good one !

I think it's clear to most by now, hot **** graphics are cool but they don't necessarily make the game. Some of the most fun games I have ever played are the 8 bit graphic type. For example, Children of Morta or even Hades. They have low to decent graphics only but they are incredibly well done games. My point is, PS2 graphics don't bother me at all.
  7. OldSchoolD

I concur, the game is fun but it is also often times frustrating, even exasperating. In which proportions I am not sure of.

Thru the years and the changes, the only thing I have wished for, is that the developers would find a way to make the gameplay smooth. That playing this game would stop being the constant latency guessing and random outcomes it is. That things would happen in real time, and that you were not always looking at what happened in the other guy's screen 2 seconds back. I wanted all the server side issues to stop affecting the results of my actions.

I played Fortnite shortly before it bored me to tears, but I realized that in spite of preferring PS2, the whole frustration-exasperation factor of PS2 was gone. Things rendered normally, the way you led your bullets (or didn't) was stable across gaming sessions. You missed on poor aim or the other player's movements, and when you died, you had it coming. Very straightforward and predictable outcomes throughout the gameplay. No gambling where the other player is before it renders, no pre-emptying this, and no second guessing are the others cheating or do they have perfect aim or do they warp to your back and 1 shot you because their internet is bad.

The gaming experience in that, and other games was coherent with my playing skill and sustainable in time, so I could play the way I normally would, without all the preoccupations PS2 brings to mind as soon as we log in: what's the latency today, will I lag, will I get 1hk a lot by random noobies getting clientside-lucky, will I be able to play the faction I want or will it be outnumbered and double-teamed for hours on end ... but you already see where this goes ...

Yes the game is fun, but the price for those few moments of fun is some frustration and some sense of having overstayed the initial welcome.
  8. pnkdth

I've enjoyed PS2 immensely over the years. I've spent years playing (joined back in beta 2012) and the only other game which I've spent that much time with is Everquest 1. PS2 has given me an experience I've never had before or since. It is for that reason I'm disheartened with the direction and poor decisions.

I can deal with technical difficulties and quirks (as they are the same for everyone) but currently it seems the tagline "epic fights at a massive scale" is no longer accurate, indeed, it is almost like they're trying ensure that happens as little as possible. Between storms and OS-spam and reducing defensible bases I'm sitting here confused. Do they want us to enjoy these fights, or what?

I guess I need to accept the fact I've become a salty vet. Even so, I'm glad to hear you and others are enjoying yourselves. Merry Christmas!
  9. Johannes Kaiser

Glad to not be the only one not tickled at all by the game. :)