Check this out

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by JustGotSuspended, Dec 22, 2020.

1. JustGotSuspended

2. DarkQuark

As I posted on a similar thread, this business of name filtering (either through name changes or bans) is always going to make someone upset or angry. Either because a name wasn't changed because they it find personally offensive (which is super subjective) or because it was.

For DBG it's a lose/lose proposition. All you can do is try to strike a balance. I am not saying they could not do better, just saying it's unpopular no matter what you do.

It's really an interesting conundrum.
  3. JustGotSuspended

yeah it's why I'd suggest giving players to tools to censor stuff themselves, that way every individual is able to cater their level of sensitivity. Yeah the dude's going to have to click on that name and select the "do not display" option, but once it's done, the problems been dealt with. Better than waiting years for maybe the player to get maybe renamed or whatever.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the most effective.
    • Up x 1
  4. DarkQuark

Well said and I agree with all of that 100%.
  5. Johannes Kaiser

In 99% of cases thi is an appropriate solution. But there will always people who just want to pick names that annoy people or are plain inappropriate (and not in the funny way). And I bet if this name hiding were implemented, the number would go up, because who's gonna stop them then?
    The report function should stay, but as said, in almost all cases hiding would be enough for the simply dumb names. And honestly, there aren't even that many of them. At least on Miller. :)
    • Up x 1
  6. DarkQuark

Good points. But I do prefer 2 things. Name changes over bans and the personal option to filter over global actions. The latter is because I think it is the most specific way to deal with the issue. That way you get to filter from a personal perspective which could never happen globally or there would be almost no one left.
    • Up x 1
  7. JustGotSuspended

Yeah, although there is some hardcoded restrictions to prevent this a bit when making new names. Ideally, even if a few more trolls decide to main with ridiculously rude accounts, it wouldn't change anything because most the playerbase would block their name. Sure, they can keep the report function, which I'm sure deals with most of the obvious trolls, but then runs the risk of banning players who didn't intend on offending anyone.
  8. Johannes Kaiser

True as well. It might be best to have the hide function along with a report function that tallies reports on individual players/accounts, and if they have been reported, say, 20 times for bad name, a moderator takes a look and decides if it is not in keeping with standards. So individual reports as long as they don't stack mean nothing, so the occasional salty offended person is not able to affect anyone or anything. Reports for everything else presumably go into the same void as they always have.
    There are still faults (there could be 20 people who get easily offended or someone talks all their friends into reporting) but in general a remort threshold should limit that severely, so only people who have a name that noone should run around with get reported again and again and thus brought to attention.
    Even then, the moderators and their decision-making seem to be a bit iffy at the very least, but unfortunately there is not much to be done in that regard.
    • Up x 1