HOW TO FIND A GOLDEN SNOWMAN

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by JustGotSuspended, Dec 16, 2020.

1. JustGotSuspended

Lol in 8 years I've never been able to find one. The few regular snowmen I find are on (descending rarity) indar, esamir, amerish, and never on hossin.

Does anyone have the numbers, or know approximate spawnpoints of these golden snowmen? I'd like that hood ornament to do the directive :/
  2. JustGotSuspended

Edit: I finally found a golden snowman. Took 2 hours of intense ranger harasser patrolling around esamir until I found one, it was near those abandoned buildings between eli and excavation.

For those wondering, a golden snowman will give you a golden snowman hood ornament, which works on all ground vehicles. With this ornament on your hood, you can run over people, and it will count for the "sleigh ride" part of the directive.

Overall it went better than I thought, asides from a few nasty encounters. I'm sure anyone can find one if they dedicate a few hours to it. I found a lot of regular snowmen near Freyr amp, and usually they come in pairs. When there's one, there's likely a few more in the area. In fact, the golden snowman I found was just behind a regular one.

I'm almost done the directive, I'll share some pics of the camo if people want once I finish it, hopefully soon. Good luck to everyone doing the directive!
    • Up x 2
  3. MonnyMoony

I found ESFs to be the best way to find snowmen (and golden snowmen).

If you fly nose down close to the ground, most people recognise you are hunting snowmen and will leave you alone.

Of course you always get the odd tryhard vet pilot who wants to how off his 'skillz' by gunning down inexperienced pilots who don't fight back, but for the most part people are pretty friendly when it comes to the holiday snowman hunting.
  4. JustGotSuspended

Yeah I'm on a server where I encounter mostly the latter. Also, something which is kind of my fault, my settings don't really make it easy for me to spot snowmen from the air. I had more luck as a harasser.
  5. Johannes Kaiser

Okay, you are probably on another server than I am, then. When trying to do the last campaign mission I got doggedly pursued by 2 Banshee Mossies across half of Esamir, who were itching for that one single kill in a Valkyrie who is CLEARLY headed for the SWG. Has been ever since, met a few respecting and respectable people, but not many. Unfortunately this just spins the wheel, making everyone paranoid and ready to shoot first.
    • Up x 1
  6. JustGotSuspended

Exactly my issue. I've been in situations where I'm trying to be nice, I avoid the dude, making it clear I could obliterate him in an instant - yet he tries to kill me! Then gets pissed he dies!

Also there seems to always be an infiltrator or a total tryhard esf waiting for the right moment to harvest an opportunistic kill, to flex their mlg fps skills. I encountered this guy that wouldn't stop chain pulling cloak fury flashes on hossin while I was doing the silo part of the event. It's ridiculous how powerful those things are, my ant was scrapped in a few seconds, although thankfully I was able to hop out and fight back a couple times, until the guy started bombarding me from a hex away and called a squad on me to wreck my silo :(

I leave the skies to the tryhards, and preferred to search for stuff on the ground, using a ranger harasser.
  7. Liewec123

i've found 1 since 2013,
    agreed with the folks about about skyknight A-holes who will chase you to the ends of the earth for a gank.
    i'd recommend everyone who is snowman hunting do it with extended afterburners and racer
    and zooming in the opposite direction if one of these skyknights attacks you,
    if you can put enough distance between you then they sometimes stop, (or you can reach the safety of allies/warpgate.)
  8. JustGotSuspended

they never stop, but sometimes you can fall back to a proper position, hidden from their stream of pewpew.

Also I slap a ranger on the harasser so I can maybe scare them away for a bit, or catch one off guard that's repairing.

I actually stubbled across this guy repairing his reaver, so I blasted it. The dude wasn't killed in the blast, he logged out straight after to avoid dying! These are the kinds of people I encounter lol .
    • Up x 1
  9. Arcslava

Did you tryed directive maps on google? I was using them to find abondoned vehicles on esamir
    I post this comment cause at previous events i was searching for them and never find one.. But on this I find one accidentely XDDDDD
  10. Trebb

Another good vehicle is Lib with SPUR main gun. You can survive against most ESFs a long time, and can free-aim the main gun, unlike ESF guns.
  11. aversi0n

Though not actively looking for it, I stumbled across a golden snowman on 26th December 2017. Oh what a wonderful Christmas present that was! In my opinion infiltrator and cloakable flash is the best way to hunt snowmen.

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  12. Eagle9996

I Believe the very first day, if not the second i found a golden snowman halfway up a tree on Hossin. I was so surprised and lucky that i spawned on that sunderer first otherewise someone else would have found it. It then made my life much easier and I finished the christmas directive on Friday- highly recommend skins pretty nice
  13. JustGotSuspended

Yeah it really does speed things up. Although if you're a whale you could just buy some Christmas hood ornaments, or if you're patient you can do the daily auraxmas fetch-quests instead.

I like the fact that this year they made the directive accessible to everyone, short and sweet. Most of the casual playerbase will be able to complete it easily (so it doesn't feel like a grind), but at the same time there's enough work to make it feel rewarding to complete it (it's not just a giveaway).

I think they've struck a fair balance with this directive, and I'd like to see the seasonal directives become more thought out and accessible like this one, to make them fun to complete, allow everyone a chance to do them, while just remaining a fun mini side-quest instead of a painful chore.
  14. MonnyMoony

I run exactly that loadout - however as I play VS, even that can't help in a lot of cases.

The Reaver is faster than the Sythe with afterburners on - so can stay close enough even if they aren't running extended fuel tanks.

The Mossie is faster without afterburners, so once you have run out of afterburner fuel, the mossie will catch up again.
  15. synkrotron

I can't remember the first time the Golden Snowmen became a thing, but I did manage to find one in that first year.

Since then, in over 2400 hours of play across six characters, I hadn't come across another single Golden Snowman. And, to be honest I don't even bother wasting my time looking for them.

Then, last night, at a small base on Indar which was being attacked by the VS, I jumped up on top of the spawn room to have a quick look around to see if I could get an opportunistic headshot with my BASR, and there was a Golden Snowman on the roof of the double stack building that housed the control point.

I was quite amazed and momentarily bewildered, but I suddenly threw caution to the wind and risked being counter sniped by taking a couple of shots at said Snowman, which I destroyed and was awarded a nice 7500 XP :D

I suppose that the attacking force, who were all over that roof, were so busy concentrating on wiping out NC leaving the spawn that they never spotted it.

As for the hood ornament... I wish I could gift it to someone because I rarely drive a vehicle anyway. That said, I've gone and stuck it on my Flash for now...
    • Up x 1
  16. JustGotSuspended

lmao luck always comes to those who need it least.

Try doing the directive using it now!
    • Up x 1
  17. synkrotron

It does indeed :oops:

Let me have a think about that :D

I'm not joking, my driving skills are worse than my shooting skills, and my flying skills don't even register.