ANT (WLT) "Howler Mining Laser"

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Zipr, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Zipr

IF I can I'd like to hear thoughts from "current" (if any) players who actually equip and use WLT...

(Post) is more based on what appears some players interested in changes to player made bases...

Luv to hear any/all info you would be willing to share ie. It's equipped only as a side More or less something productive while hoping to engage the enemy Possibly a diversion? Attract some attention...

Again anything even suggested loadout based on situation...

On a personal level I can't say I have unlocked much besides the Walker to counter enemy Air collecting minerals and to possibly aid in base deterrent defense. It would seem most folks might agree that such things as walls are able to withstand too much Tank damage Chance I need to reconsider my pov on WLT usage...

Yeah, I understand it may mean a cert dump but I'm not exactly for any such base changes Probably be good to have a better understanding of what's already available Guilty of perking my own interests...

Once again this is for actual WLT user's... I may have been to quick to judge myself (different account) C-Barrier mean ya might survive destroying the OS Do not ask me if I know! Please do not attempt to steal thread talking of what changes is needed It should be obvious that I'm already somewhat part of that group But I also haven't exactly taken the time to put the ANT through its paces Possibly even ignoring such usage Thinking things like I wish that friendly ANT get out the way he's just gonna block shots or run my (_)_) ovah Facts is tho that I believe I have seen them used on occasion...
  2. JibbaJabba

It's to useless as an actual mining laser to keep constantly loaded up.

I keep it in some "anti-base" loadout that I don't think I've ever once used. But I keep it there ready to pull.

If they secretly removed the item from my I would probably never notice.
    • Up x 1
  3. Doc Jim

All mining laser variations have their uses.

For dedicated construction and harvesting you obviously want the one that doesn't overheat and probably a weapon on the roof for self defence.

I also have a dedicated "demolition" loadout for use in cooperation with others - both the driver and roof positions have the overheating lasers. I only pull this one when I want to participate in the destruction of a specific enemy base.

I also use the overheating laser in the driver position on my radar ANT (in addition to a roof mounted M20 HMG), just for opportunistic demolition.
  4. Zipr

Appreciate ya DocJim

I was looking at "Fandom" and that does appear quite a valid situational loadout (Default:Top mounted "WLT")

"June 12, 2018 Update

• The Howler Mining Laser and the Yellowjacket Mining Laser now deal intense damage to enemy construction objects, in addition to their normal mining functionality. We hope this new feature gives player bases a risky and rewarding counter to heavily fortified construction bases.
    tbh I do not recall even ever running the top w/ WLT ever much at all... Nice to know it won't cost much certs to build eh
  5. Zipr

6. zelekk

For dedicated cortium collector you acctualy want to get howler+yellow combo. But thats only when you have some support and dont have to defend your selfe.
    Swaping betwen howler and yellow is faster than standard, as long as you dont over heat any of them.
  7. tommyrocket

I typically use it with the normal top-mount laser. If feel like you don't need protection or don't run with a buddy to use the top gun, (that typically bores your buddy to death anyway) then it should be fine. Run the Howler until it overheats, then switch to F2, use that for a bit, then switch back to Howler. It's definitely not useless, so long as you run the yellowjacket on top. It also offloads its cortium into a silo at around a full 2k in just one full overheat worth.

Basically what zelekk ^^^ said.

I dunno if they've ever fixed it, or even plan to... but back when I used to play more, most of the Chinese players I ran into on the west coast server just used an exploit to have the Howler running infinitely without an overheat. (farming XP with that method rather than ammo boxes is what they do) Haven't played enough recently to assess whether people actually do it still or not. Maybe someone can confirm for me?

Doubt that's fixed anyhow, as I keep my eye on the patch notes even when I don't play at all for months on end. Was mighty frustrating when they used that exploit to come destroy player-made bases of mine as well. I don't care when it's destroyed normally per se, but when they exploit to do it... that's where the problems start. It's a bit hard to defend against even an ANT while setting up a base as both an Engineer, and no quick anti-tank type methods, as they run away from tank mines.
  8. Trebb

I only dare to use the top mining laser when I pull my warpgate ANT for a quick router base (just a silo + Router spire, nothing else)

Howler laser does decent damage to every construction item, except silos. It seems to barely scratch them, takes 20x as long compared to just sitting there with an AV turret. I have not tested the top laser damage on construction though, maybe it's more?
  9. Doc Jim

If you equip the overheatable WLTs in F1 and F2 positions, you can keep them going until they fully overheat and turn off, then switch seats and by the time you switch back the first one will be fully cooled down again. The reason I use this for dedicated demolition only is that the roof mounted laser can not deposit Cortium into the silo and the driver version will still overheat while depositing a full tank.
  10. Zipr

First off my apologies for any confusion... Really just assumed when I mentioned WLT it was assumed as to how it pertains to attacking an "Enemy player base" I think I understand it has drawbacks to normal usage Personally I'd also just as soon not hear too much about any glitches or such that the development team should already be well aware of like harvesting at a distance...

I like the educational/informative type stuff... I actually had to pause earlier today... (Caution a player about how insane it was offering his six to an enemy tank)

Much appreciate the responses Don't have to really explain that sometimes this or that works best as far as like the defensive slot Assuming there is no meta it is possibly personal preference anyway and/or situational

Big SO to Trebb taking time to explain the pain that is the dismantling the Silo itself Gotta be honest it was sorta something that I was hoping may be effective I know it takes multiple rounds from a lightning just to see smoke lulz
  11. Trebb

OH another weird thing with the Howler laser. On my NSO, I can swing by a node, start to harvest and drive off while continuing to harvest. I can get about 2000 cortium before it overheats, so not really cheating. On my TR, this does not work, and the howler laser stops itself. If you have access to NSO go test it out, it's Weird behavior.