Request for Construction Module to Reduce Distant Damage

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Average Zombie, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Average Zombie

A simple fix for base sniping and encouraging engagement with bases is to add a module similar to the ordinance dampener that reduces damage outside the range by a percentage. For example, those within 600 meters do full damage, while those outside would deal gradually less to a minimum of, say, 17% if too far away. It doesn’t disable distant engagements while also making it more manageable for the defenders. It gives a strategic tradeoff for the attackers trying to bypass the defense structures.
  2. Thalestr

Easy fix would be to make the repair module useful again.

An MBT parked on a hill half a kilometer away should not be able to out-damage a base with repair modules active. If you want to assault a base you should have to move in and attack it and its defenses properly.

Easy anti-cheese fix without requiring additional building purchases.
    • Up x 3
  3. Average Zombie

It would in a way that’s binary, no doubt. But this solution allows keeping bases softer and presenting more tactical objectives which Im in favor for the following reasons: It gives base attack strategies strong and flexible marginal costs, it keeps a focus on active defense, it makes active defense more manageable for engies (up to x6 repair speed effectively), it allows for concentrated fire to create selective wall breaches, and it makes the placement of the negation a tactical choice during the bases construction.
  4. Zipr

Player bases that get defended already seem to cause quite a delay in action Far as interaction on the base would you folks be interested in making things hackable? ie. Hack the AI module so it destroys near-by modules Make the turrets like base turrets? Abilities like night vision/repair from Outfit resources but also hackable? I mean sometimes ya have enemy tanks going up against ground pounders trying to eliminate modules Sure some of it may be points but it does help clear the base more efficiently

Would be a kick to hack an OS tho on an unguarded base

How about you give up the "skyshield"? I mean Lib pilots don't get near the fun @ such player bases at this time which just seems kinda funny Would you be willing to accept taking more damage at the costs of benefitting Libs?

Personally I believe the balance isn't half bad right now Seems the walls can take too much damage But it is what it is right!
  5. iller

Yes, a mere "Delay" ... that took the basebuilder themselves more than 20-30 minutes of tedious driving back and forth between Nodes with horrible map Distribution design and then had to carefully "pixel-perfect" the seams of the walls together because allowing them to "snap" together on the simple X & Z plane was way too complicated for this dev team.

Wewww boy, that extra 2 shots it took them compared to a SpearTurret on an Amp Station sure was a worthwhile endeavor for those ungrateful cortium farmers

IT'S SIMPLE.... walls alone cannot defend a Silo. Soon as the AV turret is gone, every other turret and spire and defense mechanism can literally be Soloed by every single ground vehicle in the game in a matter of seconds per component. Either AV turrets get some kind of resistance to long range AP ... or construction remains a back-lines feature only for lonely PVE'ers.

There's only 1 base configuration that can't easily be shot directly into and it takes a LONG time to line everything up perfectly and only works in like 2% of the terrain because every other section of terrain has some kind hills nearby where the enemy can effortlessly fire down on the Silo and anyone in the base can't shoot back unless they've got Phoenix launcher and half a squad of allies helping them (which almost NEVER happens in base construction anymore)
    • Up x 1
  6. RabidIBM

Hell no to the hack option. I already have to sweat from anything an infil might do to my base at any point in the next 20 minutes if I duck out for a minute here or there.

As for the matter with repair modules, what if they got an over charge like the shield module?
    • Up x 1
  7. Zipr

My bad if not directed at me...

Look I enjoy assisting if not building bases period I've also died enough times to have some idea of what it appears I'm going up against Think we really need to focus the discussion on those large player made bases w/ Orbitals that pretty much tie up attacking the next base Guys can call it skills or lack of numbers but I have seen such a base just cause congestion leading too destruction Especially w/o some Friendly OS/Shield to counter things...

Think the OP may have meant to say that one enemy tank is expecting too much to get too much of any help I suspect two engys could make things pretty fruitless (Repairing) while two Assaults might just make quick work of such a tank (Killing)

My post is more on the real deal side of bases causing nearby base defenders to utilize... As I said above I believe bases are already pretty stout Anyone whoever chewed through a wall either to only find it did nothing OR Only leads to another wall should have little to no issue(s) agreeing...

I'm stating such things as you want more? What you wanna give up... Say you place a friendly ammo tower Whats say such an such is hacked and the base removes such ammo at twice the normal feeding rate? (Yeah I hate when the MBT's take cover for paint damage)

IF you really want to jump to the chase or conclusion You guys gonna be just as content seeing such bases utilized by platoons @ WG's if not every blue/purple base Lattice already dictates who/what you can attack Shouldn't really be news to state some folks only take outside lanes etc. You may not know it but you are risking quite literally changing if not ruining the game Depending on the mood I do not believe just everyone even cares to engage/dismantle such bases The shame being in that they can be grown given some time and effort... As it sits w/o even more additional changes besides just strength of wall's/turrets Folks can opt to setup Glaives and invite Air Support to join in the festivities

I dunno (imho) I believe the biggest thing other than making it hard if not impossible at times to bring an armor team through to the next fight Such player bases make using a Sunderer quite limited Not so much they can't pass through ( We have Outfit resources) It's that it becomes attackable from both the front and back (Unless your one willing to deploy such a beast on occasion you may not even care) Meaning more fights would be using a router(s) I would suspect

Basically real changes would hurt quite a few folks especially FNG's lulz New guy pulls his shiney freshly pulled MBT into such a base gingerly setting up to fire off some of that precious few rounds Only to hear click click (MT) Ammo is gone... Bad experience for a veteran watching the map etc. may lead them to write-off even making the effort to defend Once friendly base turret chews through him as he gets screamed at for destroying while he's lying dead from a hacked Pain Spire out trying to repair Worst or killer part being he was denied access (Squad only settings) to any changes/improvements to the base...

But yeah, I'm not to sure what ya mean exactly about the ability to charge a repair module Been to many times already that I failed to even find them (Sometimes hidden in plain sight) Possibly not everyone knowing the importance of destroying? My question if any would be why it takes so many shots to finish an OS OR Especially the damage it seems that a "Light Veh Term" can withstand I dunno I mean maybe you guys is hoping some developer who doesn't play may make some changes?

P.S. Personally I do not take pleasure in telling someone good much less great job I dunno I think they did pretty good tho... (imho) I think players go through stages in what is considered important ie. Someone who thinks preventing an ANT from refueling matters much if at all Especially a bigger fight it's probably not meaning much in the whole scheme of things except quicker/easier points More a threat going invisible w/ a Kobalt type deal...
  8. RabidIBM

Zipr, I have no idea what you are trying to say. I'm not making fun of it, I think English may not be your first language, but can you please try again? I actually cannot figure out what you are trying to tell me.

The overcharge I was referring to would be a mimic of what the structure shield module can already do. The owner can hold E on it to put extra shields on a building for a while. It is currently the only module with any overcharge feature. I am suggesting adding the ability to overcharge the repair module to make it repair faster for 30 seconds or a minute or whatever.
    • Up x 1
  9. Zipr

bE YOU Hope it comes back tenfold right...

It certainly appears you stand w/ beefing up what already appears quite stoudt Certainly does not appear that you are implying there is no challenge to taking out an enemy player base...

peace,
  10. Average Zombie

Zipr, I am talking about the degree of cheese the is in the range and the more I play with the construction system, the more I find there are critical faults in the design. I'd break down the issues based on both population and distance. Midrange combat between 6-18 players is really the place that bases are fun for everyone. To long of a distance or combat inside the player bases for the most part pointless and the base loses hard. There's some major issues with things like infiltrator cortium bombs obliterating low population bases, a lack of engineers supporting high population bases, bottlenecks for spawn safety inside bases, and an inability to engage in further distances.

I'll probably need to write a small treatise on the design, but it's frustrating enough I've dropped my membership over sinking the certs into base building because it feels like a waste.
    • Up x 2
  11. RabidIBM

Average Zombie, what server do you play on, I roll with construction a lot, maybe we could trade notes some time.
    • Up x 1
  12. Zipr

Zombie, Spit it out brah,,, What exactly are you saying and/or leading too exactly

Give us some idea what you would be willing to give up to support such changes Would you be okay seeing even more restrictions on where bases can be built? Larger outfits may start hollering about more terminals to pull Colossus(s) just to eliminate such a stout base easier/quicker and/or Help out against the enemy armor (Plus it costs them poly)

Did you like the Hive thinking? Requiring so many folks just to activate (take one to acquire one) Please consider using Esamir for an example in any responses Because it would seem that it can sometimes be the most challenging as far as risk/reward on the lattice IF you think you need territory from a specific faction you may only have so many options

P.S. I might be more for than against possible changes It just might require changes to the risk/reward of attacking/defending some player base(s)
  13. JustGotSuspended

you can buy the construction stuff with dbc, which unlocks it across all characters. You can then build a pretty big base logging onto alts to place more of the same items (walls, modules, etc). Once you've got a full silo unlocked and stocked somewhere.
  14. Thalestr

Making bases more hackable would completely and utterly destroy what little fun there is left in player-made bases. They're already so broken that a single infiltrator can already destroy an entire base with ease, and I say that as both a builder and a cloaker. You can literally just cloak your way into 85%+ of bases and knife the spawn tube for a few seconds until it dies. Pain tower nearby? No problem. It damages you so slowly that you can still chip away at that spawn tube in decent time.

Once that tube is destroyed then the base is basically scrap. The owner can't come back to repair it and their empire can't deploy to defend it (not that they ever do anyway). You can then hack a nearby terminal and pull a tank (using resources the owner spent time grinding for) and destroy the base with it. Woo!

Yeah, if you want it to be even easier to destroy a base then you should really just ask for bases to be removed from the game. They are already completely useless and have no impact on virtually any battle.
  15. Zipr

@Thalestr

Sounds like you dispose of enemy player bases quite easily... Why you take the time to offer so many thousands of XP building a base in return??? But yeah I dunno if you read much of the thread We're talking the opportunity to involve whole platoons in building/defending a base (Possibly surrounding and/or interrupting normal base capture play) Not so much solo maybe you get lucky w/ help maybe you don't Plan is to strengthen the base... Not sure on the knife strokes to take out a wall currently but they do already take quite a few main canon shots from auxiliary tanks I mean just because you destroy any module or whatnot does not mean much It is easily replaced taking an ESF back to the base Lot of times the walls need removed for armor to pass through Silos should be destroyed so again walls not quickly rebuilt Yeah sometimes armor groups need to regroup for a second or third push right...

I did gather that you believe "Pain towers" need a buff Do you think they should also be correspondingly made much larger and more limited in placement?