Tie breaks

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RabidIBM, Dec 8, 2020.

1. RabidIBM

Sometimes the alert is a tie, I even had one yesterday on Connery that finished 33/33/33, and was awarded to the Vanu.

What is not clear is who is going to win in these tie events. Does anybody know what the system is for that? I could spit ball a couple ideas for things that would make sense to break a tie: Who triggered the alert, who holds center base, just to name a couple. Regardless of what system is used, it would be nice if there were an indication of who will win before the alert ends.
  2. DataGhost

I once remember getting the winning rewards while the win was granted to the other faction in the tie, and they also got the winning rewards. That leads me to believe that the tie is broken randomly and only applies to the visual of locking the continent and the resulting bonus on other continents of course. At least that's what I observed. Since you both get the most important rewards (XP+certs) and the final outcome appears to be random, I don't think much can be changed.
  3. Johannes Kaiser

Nowadays I think the faction that captured a base last gets the win. I have heard before that VS was awarded the victory by default in a tie, but I don't know if that is true. (Considering some dev's bias it could, but that in itself is no proof.)
  4. InexoraVC

yes. that is true
  5. RabidIBM

The faction that most recently captured a base *used* to be the tie break. I have observed it not being the case, hence the question.
  6. JustGotSuspended

Basically it's because there's a decimal point we don't see. so it can be 33.4/33.3/33.3. Basically some territories count a fraction more than others, but the system only displays full numbers, not the actual ones used to determine the alert win. Basically, it's never a tie, even though it looks like it from the player side.
    • Up x 1
  7. InexoraVC

On tuesday this week we have won an alert on Indar. There was a tie break in percents but we've got 1minute base few seconds before the alert ended. We consider it as "the last one is dad" :)
  8. Trebb

It USED to be hard coded that VS won all ties, whether that was done on purpose or not who knows /tinfoilHat

It should be last faction to take a base.
  9. Zipr

Honestly, I believe the other scenario when it is a tie involves who was the last to lose a Territory... Meaning if the loss of Territory is the direct cause of the ensuing tie that Faction is still granted the Dub "unless" of course it is one of the opposing Factions who took the base that caused the tie

Note: I do like the fractional answer but I'm not so convinced!