[Suggestion] Cloak should drain shields

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Madae, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Madae

Guaranteed first hit in many situations should have a drawback.
  2. Liewec123

it has a drawback, 100 less shield.
    and if they're stalker it has the further drawback of only sidearms (though currently that includes the OP ectoblaster)
    also cloak is usually fairly visable.

but if cloakers are giving you grief stick a flashlight on the sidearm of all of your loadouts, no reason not too.
  3. Madae

Nano Armor Cloaking removes that shield penalty. There are tons of really good pistols, and, in general, damage is never a problem with any of their weapon choices. Weapon switching is too slow to say putting a flashlight on a sidearm is a counter - most players are not going to be running around with their sidearm out, so it's inconsequential. Visibility in cqc is not the problem, it's the situation that comes from a wandering infiltrator outside of cqc that's able to force the encounter in their favor.

Giving them default shields is fine, just have active cloak drain it at the same rate as the cloak length, while allowing instant regen as soon as cloak drops (assuming no incoming damage). This forces players to be more active with less hiding/waiting, and makes them more apt to use natural cover instead. They're the only thing in the game that has a playstyle counterintuitive to how everything else in the game plays, and it makes them frustrating to deal with when it's a good player that knows how to use it.

In my opinion, cloak should really only be used for getting away from a fight, or setting up a long range shot. Giving them SMG's is the main reason why I dislike their playstyle, but you can't really remove that at this point, only mitigate it by giving them a handicap at the start of the cqc fight they choose, and they're usually over in seconds anyway.
  4. JibbaJabba

Cloak should be more powerful, have a longer charge, but be located on an added weapon slot requiring a switch to fire.

And the nemesis of the infiltrator, the heavy, should have a cooldown on medkits.

imo
    • Up x 5
  5. iller

The incredibly LOUD sound it makes when turned on or off is a far bigger downside than loss of Shielding ever could hope to impose.

...Not to mention, I already got Carapace... so....

[IMG]
  6. Blam320

Objectively false. Cloaks plus CQC sniper rifles are pretty much instant death to any other infantry class in the game, since you can exploit clientside behavior to appear for a fraction of a second on the enemy's screen, take an easy shot before they can react, then recloak and reposition for your next kill.

On top of that, what does Carapace have to do with adding a cooldown on Medkit usage?

[IMG]
  7. Zipr

"Carapace is an Exceptional implant that removes all of the player's base shielding, and replaces it with an additional 500 health.
    This implant's effects are identical regardless of the player's shielding before using the implant. An Infiltrator without Nano-Armor Cloaking is equipped with 400 shields, which will be replaced with 500 health when using Carapace.
    While Carapace is equipped, the player will revive with 1000 health, rather than 500 health, when revived by a Medical Applicator or the Phylactery implant. Nanite Revive Grenades will revive the player at 500 health, rather than 250 health.
    WARNING: The Bionics implant has a major unintended interaction with Carapace; equipping both implants simultaneously will cause the player to be left with 400 health and no shielding.
    https://planetside.fandom.com/wiki/Implants
  8. Zipr

I do not want to hi-jack your post... It would seem that some Infidels care little about health (Quick to cloak even standing by a medic) I have little experience running it myself I'd rather try to play at no health than surrounded by one other player because it's almost game over w/ any stray bullet So it could be good housekeeping to get others to bug-off?

Hate to say it but I believe any advantage is almost situational only affected by actual skill Up to half the time it means one less heavy to hold it down OR Medic' to keep the fight moving along OR Engy w/ ammo Learn to land headshots and it may improve your experience

Overall, Infidels is just an experience not encountered in most games Blacklights, Infravision Infravision is an Exceptional implant that changes the user's vision to infrared while equipped, highlighting all units within 125 meters, except infantry using rank 5 of the Sidewinder implant.
    A thick 'fog' effect prevents vision past approximately 130 meters.
    And even other Infidels are pretty good counters... Not magic by no means It does require some effort more times than not But yeah game has been out for some time now Only possible thought you seem to evoke is possible considerations for stronger SMG's ie. No shield/Half health to equip (Seems a bit much eh') Wait until you see legit infidels It would seem Only using cloak to get attention drawing confusion
    Hope my post helped! Really just seems something for most veteran players to ignore...
    • Up x 1
  9. iller

People who are doing that, are using a packet manipulation exploit connected to Ability activation which is a problem in almost EVERY Mmorpg out there. It's very similar to the netcode physics exploits which allow SOME players to scale right up inclines that other players with different technical setups could never even attempt.

I don't know what to tell you because this is the same general realm of status quo that MOST of the game's tryhards all live in. They're not just more accurate or consistent at getting killstreak on holding points. Same goes for the CQC bolters. It has NOTHING to do with the average performance of people using that class. It's entirely the FACT that this game's meta has revolved around EXPLOITS ever since FutureCrew was the only thing keeping an entire Faction "competitive"