[Suggestion] Implementation of construction into gameplay

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheWIngedGod, Oct 23, 2020.

1. TheWIngedGod

Link to images because I somehow didn't get it to work.

Implementation of construction into gameplay
    With the shattered warpgate and the fun fights it has brought using the constructions system I hoped there would be enough new data on it to better integrate it into the game. In my finite wisdom of game design, I know that it may be difficult/impossible to implement my ideas but nonetheless I love to voice them here.

Currently most construction bases if not all are not the easiest to start a fight at since the defenders also must be reactive to create a spawning point there. This excludes the BL-4 Recovery Point which now has a spawn point. My best guess would be first including these changes into one base to test it. The base I am thinking of is Andvari Ruins as it already has structures with which most ideas can be tested.

Permanent construction silo
    This base would get a silo to store cortium. This silo would be best placed in the middle of the base. The still standing column which normally houses the SCU in a Biolab may be converted into the silo. I personally do not know if this can be done on a technical level otherwise a “normal silo” could just be used. A terminal to access construction items would also be need, obviously. This would be best placed furthest from both main entrances so that people standing at it cannot be easily shot from those sides, imo.
    [IMG]
    Figure 1 Permanent silo

The base silo could have double the normal cortium capacity or more if needed and prevent other silos to be placed within a ring slightly bigger than that of the base. The people who supply this silo would probably need some extra boosts like xp from people spawning if you supplied x amount of cortium you get this bonus for x time. Never tell people what exactly off course to keep them guessing and doing more than needed ;).

Hard spawn
    When the silo gets filled it will automatically activate a hard spawn within the base like the one BL-4 now has. I marked where I think the best spot would currently be.
    Figure 2Spawn and terminal locations

Bases turretsWith Andvari still having most of its towers intact using the now empty turrets spots to be able to place them there would be a great way to fill space. To place this maybe a small terminal can be added at each location where you will be able to choose from all the different types of turrets to customize the base to your liking.
    Figure 3 Turret spot

Launch pads
    With the addition of turrets it would also be great for some launch pads. These would work the same as they used to for Biolabs with one small difference that they get activated with cortium in the silo of that base. These launch pads would also not be next to each other to make it easier for people to that both pads aren’t connected, and one can be active while the other is empty. It should also help protect the sunderers that are near these jump pads. This also means that the bases near Andvari also need their own silos.
    Figure 4Incoming pad from Biolab

Also, reenabling the ring of jump pads on the walltowers add Andvari would be a great way for defenders to get around. Maybe even have a terminal an infiltrator could hack to make these also available for the attackers.

Normal Construction
    Special buildings like a vehicle or aircraft terminal would still need to be placed like normal as these should not be integrated into the base itself. Every other construction item can also be placed like it can be now.

Base capture
    When the base gets captured most if not all the cortium will be drained from the system to prevent enemy from abusing a full silo. The most difficult part would be what to do with the placed construction items. A choice could be made here. Have them convert to the other faction at time of capture but as the silo would be empty, they would take damage and get destroyed. This should be faster than normal. That if the silo is not supplied with cortium everything will be destroyed. If however the silo gets cortium the construction stays and the new owner may remove specific pieces if they want.

How it could be abused
    People will always find a way to abuse anything on a new or existing system so here is what I can think of.
    1. Emptying the silo
    2. Trying to backcap
    3. LA using jumppads to slingshot and C4 everything
    4. Orbital strikes galore
    5. Yeah got nothing else, hope I didn’t miss something really broken.
    The first two are both already part of the things in the current system so I will not go into it as I believe these are both already handled in an acceptable manner.
    The LAs are really the big one, unless it would be possible to disable the jetpack for the jump pads that launch you to and from nearby bases they would most likely be extremely powerful in destroying any sunderer that may appear. This should also already be countered a bit with the jump pads ironically but still a good point to bring up.
    I am not sure if it was already a thing but those anti air shields should stop an Orbital strike to even het the ground.

Effects on the average planetman
    As I am one and cannot speak for all I’ll try and do my best to see this update from different perspectives. The construction people would probably be the happiest. The sweaty heavies still hate it and would rather have a normal base. The normal planetman could enjoy it like any other base if the builders stay inspired to keep these bases in shape.

Conclusion
    These new generation of construction bases could help people who want to play with construction feel important to the flow of battle. On the other people who do not want to go out of their way to mine cortium and build bases will profit from what are now annoying bases to get a good fight started.

I can also see that not all ideas here are that good, but it may give someone a better idea and hope that if it gets read by the devs that they at minimum enjoyed the wall of text.
    If I missed something in this post I would like to hear it.
    • Up x 1
  2. Zagareth

It would be a good idea to merge PMBases with normal Bases or in other words expand normal bases with constructions, unfortunately I lost my hope in the Dev team to make things right and create a game that actually makes fun, instead of frustration.

But surprise me, Devs... I'm open for it
    • Up x 5
  3. Greiztoph

Honestly I think if they removed 50% of the structures from little bases and made them be able to be built it, they could be some truly interesting fights instead of nightmare spawn farms, and it would help stop Zergs if a squad of a Platoon could build up a base behind the line of battle so that the enemy Zerg just doesn't snowball like they do currently.
  4. Shadowdev

I'd love it if they would just do a map without system bases and just allow for player built bases, so much more fun... Start by building at the warp gate and build out, when you finally complete a build next to an enemy's base then you are able to start captures, it's simple.
  5. iller

Didn't Cyrious already do an even more in depth video essay on this exact Execution?