[Suggestion] @DEVS 3 factions ruin this game. Make it somehow a 1v1 finally!!!!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by karlooo, Oct 17, 2020.

1. karlooo

Take a look at this.
    [IMG]

This is not something that just happened recently. It happens all the time. You can't be winning before the alert starts or else you'll get double teamed.
    Like wtf are you supposed do? Stagnate?

This game would be much nicer if it was purely a 1v1. Outfit wars would be very entertaining. Game would be easier to balance.

Why are the devs moving this game towards some weird MMORPG, instead of just improving the game?
  2. AlcyoneSerene

3 factions are necessary to try to maintain balance as populations fluctuate and to keep fights interesting.

Interesting statistic, actually showing a clear bias for focusing TR and ignoring VS, but I'd like to know for what time frame, and what server, to put it in perspective.

Generally a weaker faction, due to types and presence of organized outfits, competent motivated randoms and total player population will in theory get focused on as it makes for easy terrain capture and easy farms.

The focused faction will be forced to either improve and team work, or the better players will simply move to the other two factions making the situation worse.

A further aggravating factor to such a situation is low server population, which can only be corrected by attracting more players for all factions.
    • Up x 3
  3. karlooo

Maintain what? The faction balance queue does a good enough job.

How about this: So what if, instead of receiving some weird story of some Warpgate exploding and we are supposed to investigate it to find out the secrets or what the hell, Absolutely NOBODY cares about some destroyed Warpgate!!

What if we had some new story of how the reign of the Vanu Sovereignty is crumbling and cannot maintain itself....and all the VS players will have to choose which side they want to transfer to. Humanity got purely divided into 2 sides: NC, TR.
    Most of the Vanu technology would get transferred to NC and only a few to TR (most through DBC exclusivity for game income, NC exclusive weapons would be captured weapons).
    The VS will keep all their characters/cosmetics/default classes but only difference would be the change in color. For NC solid blue, TR solid red.

Could you imagine if Planetside 2 was purely a 1v1? No more stagnation and double team bull. Just full out war!
    Sounds much more exciting than some shattered Warpgate zzz...

Saturday. Cobalt server
  4. AlcyoneSerene

For a statistic to have value it needs to be able to account for as much data as possible. A single day says next to nothing.

1v1v1 is full out war, and more representative of it which is chaotic and doesn't stay limited between two groups with equal numbers, resources, and so on.

The faction balance queue system forcing players into long queues, and players logging out leaving uneven numbers, and a general lack of player count given the scale of the game I don't think do a good job, so the 3 faction system keeps it at least more interesting so that at the very least there exists the possibility of double teaming the faction that has excess population, along with more strategy.
    • Up x 5
  5. Liewec123

Imho 3 factions is one of the cooler aspects of this game,
    Every other game is just "we fight that one enemy."
    But PS2 stands unique with 3-way FPS and it leads to some great fights,
    The best fights are when all 3 factions are battling for the same base,
    though this is now going to be exceptionally rare due to the recent ruination of TI Alloys.
    • Up x 1
  6. karlooo

Nope same crap again. Sunday, 2 games prime time.
    I don't find 1v1v1 marvelous because this happens every day.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  7. Arpheus

3 Factions are unfair for the faction being double teamed but it would probably be worse with 2 factions.
    With only two factions the better faction - be it because of balance or player count of factions or more competent outfits/players - will almost always win in prime time. The weaker faction players over time will switch sides because losing all the time is not fun.
    Some will be motivated by a loss and try harder but that won't happen for all players.

With 3 factions that happens less. If the strongest faction wins too often it can/will happen that the other two factions are tired of that faction always winning and they will double team the strongest faction and get a win from time to time. So even a weaker faction has their wins from time to time which is a good thing. There is also far more random focussing going on with three factions.
    With only two factions you would always have to fight the same enemies.
    • Up x 1
  8. ican'taim

One of the biggest reasons why I joined was because PS2 is a tri faction game. If there were only two factions I wouldn't have even glanced at this game.
  9. Cancdemon

As much as I sympathize with your issue, being a Cobalt TR myself, reducing the 1v1v1 battle to a mere 1v1 is a beyond horrendous idea that betrays the very nature of this game. What are the certainties that one faction won't just overpower the other through overpop, completely dominating them on multiple fronts? While it is true that Three-sided battles result in double teaming, that is merely a simple, sound, strategical decision.
    Consider this: If one faction dominates the alert there is a good chance it will remain dominant, unless a sudden surge of players drop in from the warpgate. At this point it is not in the interest of the other two factions to fight one another, when any potential territory gains they make parallel that of the winning faction. A Example:
    TR starts the alert and has 40% and NC and VS have 30% each.Now, TR focuses down VS, because the zerg decided so. Why would NC attack VS at this point? In the best case, that being VS getting warpgated by both NC and TR, both factions get one half of VS, ending the balance at 45-55, NC loses, TR wins. But hey, no double teaming.

Obviously I am simplifying things to a degree that practice will look different. Small fights always break out between borders will large cesspools forming on center bases, AMP Stations, etc that obviously affect territory gain/loss ratios alot. Here I am just saying that overpop=territory gain as a simplification. VS feels like it does well even with low numbers anyhow.
    However, the crux of the matter is that attacking the same target as the winning faction works against your own favour.

The factions goal is to end up with the largest percentage of territory. This is ensured by both your faction gaining territory, aswell as the largest faction losing territory, so that the difference in territory is minimal. And Double Teaming ensures that.
    This is why, atleast from my experience, the winning faction often wins with a percentage of near 35%, with the last few minutes and territory changes often deciding the winner. Double-Teaming a faction is a viable, if not outright recommended strategy, the victim of which usually should change, if Platoon Commanders pay any attention. Alerts only last 90 minutes, which isn't little, but the 40% faction does usually put up enough of a resistance to keep themselves competitive for a significant portion.

I absolutely agree that double teaming sucks on the receiving end. You end up with most if not all fronts in a losing position or a stalemate, where the enemy always has a numerical advantage. But I'd take that over a bland Red vs Blue experience.
    • Up x 2
  10. That_One_Kane_Guy

No.
    • Up x 1
  11. karlooo

Yeah, possibly it is a bad idea.
    Anyways I just brought out this suggestion cause I want the Vanu Sovereignty to die. It's a cancer to this game thanks to the biased game designer.
    • Up x 1
  12. pnkdth

Most MMO PvP games who are serious about functioning properly adopt a three faction system. It is there to prevent the snowball-effect going too far as the other two factions tend to mitigate the issue (and often bounce back).

As a player in a three faction system you should also realise that in a perfectly even system you will ALWAYS lose twice as many times as you win, you will ALWAYS fight twice your number on the whole, and this can lead to the false belief you think the other factions are always ganging up on you. It is just a result of the three-way conflict, no grand conspiracy or alliance against you, it just is what it is.

A relatively common scenario is faction A has the most territory, while faction B and C has less, and wha-bam an alert starts. Faction B and C will attack faction A since they have to and eventually faction B and C will start attacking each other. In this example at least two of the factions will get "double teamed", first faction A and then faction B or C. Repeat this process on smaller and larger scale and you'll start seeing patterns emerge.
  13. Greiztoph

I can agree with that sentiment but what is needed is for TR and NC to have actually unique mechanics instead of shoot fast or shoot hard
    • Up x 2
  14. Demigan

Those statistics are a guideline, and they require something else: Population count.

If the TR consistently has a higher player count that divides across the two frontlines, then they also present more targets to kill. If the NC and VS send more players to the TR frontline to equalize against the TR numbers then the TR gets "double teamed" by simply a fair distribution of players.

Hence, context matters.

Also the reverse is more often the problem: The weakest faction gets double-teamed. When players try to capture the continent you have to make a choice: Do you go for the stronger faction and have slow gains but steal their territory or do you go for the weaker faction and get much more territory quickly? The latter is what often happens.

Proper rewards should solve this, rather than removing an entire faction and screwing the game over even more.
    • Up x 2
  15. JibbaJabba

Please use the search function in the forums. This has been discussed to death.

Two factions would be stupid for reasons. Search them.
    • Up x 2
  16. Blam320

This just proves that you'd rather be playing a game other than PlanetSide. All you do is complain about design decisions and expect them to get changed. First reworking the Prowler to be an IFV instead of an MBT, now this? Get lost.
    • Up x 1