I just can't understand the devs thinking, what are they doing?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by karlooo, Oct 12, 2020.

1. karlooo

The campaign, Shattered Warpgate, new daily missions, sanctuary.
    Like it is true that by slow steps you advance further and maybe this is leading to something but it seems like that the whole Sanctuary, Esamir redesign, all that detail and hard work was done just for the campaign, which pretty much nobody asked for and after being acquainted to the community, it's not even showing much interest. I just can't understand this decision. From my experience this campaign died down in less than a week.

The campaign does have potential but so does construction...Even more potential than some odd missions that are leaned away from the real game.
    IMO not only construction is in an unfinished state but so is vehicle gameplay, tank warfare, visual effects...The game in general. Just for a quick oversimplified example, vehicle combat: The vehicle damage model is just a circle divided into 4 pieces and depending on where the enemy that hit you is located and with what round, you receive the damage to your whole HP. It's very lackluster, it has a lot of flaws.
    What I'm trying to say is that almost everything in the game feels like a temporary placeholder, something just rushed out to have it at least usable in the game, instead of fiddling around with it.

Construction could have been part of the real game, a unique strategy for leaders to choose, build an extra spawn point in a lattice base, defensive position. Construction holds all sorts of interesting ideas...This is complex and requires a map redesign.
    That's possibly why a lot of members, including me opposed the idea of creating a new continent called Oshur. Cause it's going to be the same crap like each continents but with a different texture, and nothing solved.

I believe this update isn't even going to bring much or any income to the game. The campaign can be purchased with certs, so why would anyone purchase a membership, given the amount of dissatisfaction the campaign has received? The opening of the campaign has ruined its reputation and most likely won't receive interest on the upcoming ones.

Something I never understood is why doesn't this free to play game purely try to gain sales/income through exclusivity? This can't be only done through cosmetics logically. 2 helmets and that's enough for me, no reason to purchase more.
    But what about exclusivity through weapons? For example the NC lore talks about how they use unconventional warfare, use any weapon... What if as an example NC would have an exclusive captured TR TRAC-5 (only DBC purchasable) . This won't be OP, unfair, it's just a decent, default TR carbine, which wouldn't cause any issue if NC had access to it - They were part of the Terrain Republic.
    Or TR. What if the current T7 Mini-Chaingun got removed and added back as an exclusive weapon.
    The Mini-chaingun is my most used weapon in PS2 and from my XP it's fun, unique but not necessary. TR wouldn't lose anything by restricting this weapon to DBC.
    And possibly if the devs finally make some real improvements to the game instead of adding more unfinished nonsense, possibly I may be interested in purchasing back the Mini-Chaingun - Supporting the game, having fun, because of my satisfaction with its progress.
    All that's required from you is to do a good job, you don't need to be "crafty".
  2. V43xV1CT15

Death throes

Was a fun game while it lasted but they are digging the grave for PS2
    • Up x 1
  3. ican'taim

1. Frankly campaigns, lore, more MMORPG stuff is what the game needs. This game has been Battlefield: Auraxis for far too long, and I like starting in the sanctuary. Daily missions are a terrible idea though, along with the plant mission.
    2. Agree 100%
    3. Oshur was going to be construction oriented with few facilities.
    4. Everthing else... just no. Paywalling ANY weapons is a very dangerous path for game developers. All this would do is make the game look more p2w and make a few people wish for a planetside 1 remaster. (you could steal other faction weapons... free of charge)
    • Up x 2
  4. karlooo

The game is not an MMORPG. I don't know how this is supposed to be implemented into the game.
    Anyways the game needs change. We've been fighting for years and nothing changed, nobody captured anything, same warfare, etc...
    How I see it is that everything in PS2 is a placeholder, it all has potential and what we have, should be changed into something new, an improvement.

Create a whole new continent for an unfinished idea, which is so far completely flawed?

I completely disagree on this. I'll make a new topic regarding new players but for this, this is exactly how I see it:

The game is too grindy and you're not "good" or you can't play your way, specialize in something till you absolutely grind your *** off, don't go outside, don't shower, etc. Unless you purchase the membership....That's how it feels like and I think it's a lame way to earn income on a F2P game.

Again, I'll make a new topic in more detail regarding this.
    • Up x 1
  5. InexoraVC

Grinding for certs is MUCH more easier than grinding for ISO-4. The new players can't afford the "must have" implants (and upgrade them) so they leave.
    • Up x 4
  6. karlooo

Yep exactly, that's what I'm about to make a new topic on
  7. Blam320

Certs aren't too hard to come by if you know the right playstyles. Like being an Engineer or Medic in a squad. You can then use certs to buy implant packs when you're not upgrading your class of choice. Daily Missions (especially the ones available to new players) also reward XP, certs, weapons, and implants, making the grind a bit easier.
    • Up x 2
  8. ican'taim

1. fair point
    2. Back in the 2018 stream the devs were kinda vague about this, but since oshur has been canned it's irrelevant.
    3. I watched the video, and while he does make some false claims (you can't try out weapons except in VR training, starting weapons are awful), he makes some completely valid claims and people like Smedley (NOT the current developer team) are the ones to blame here. They made Planetside 2 from a spiritual successor into a awesome looking free to play Battlefield clone, but it's just that, a BF clone at this point. We're still missing:
    • Functioning warpgates
    • Intercontinental lattice
    • Faction specific buggies
    • Lodestars
    • 7 other continents (well not all of them but still)
    • Interlink facilities
    • Dropship centers
    • BFRs
    Even worse, here's what CAN'T happen because Smed and T-ray decided that graphics and pandering>gameplay:
    • Inventories (can't have those because of class based garbage and smedbucks)
    • Actually good looking bases that don't feel hollow *cough* techplants *cough*
    • The prowler having centered barrels
    • The magrider being an actual tank, not some weird short-range tank destroyer
    • Consolidated weapons
    • Actual cert system
    • and many more
    Does this make you mad? It should, because this is what happens when developers decide to chase trends instead of sticking to what made you game awesome in the first place. A certain quote comes to mind, and it pains me to say it about ps2:

"A delayed game is forever good, but a rushed game is forever bad"
    -Shigeru Miyamoto
    • Up x 1
  9. Zagareth

Definitely NO!
    Every MMORPG/FPS game is dead, because the concept doesn't work - you can't get the RPGamers together with the FPShooters, it's a NOGO
    The RPG elements of PS2 (campaign, missions) are the last nail in the coffin. If the devs continue to go this way, PS2 will die.
    • Up x 1
  10. DemonicTreerat

Because its easy, fast, and doesn't require any real knowledge of coding.

Things like revamping vehicles to have hitboxes with associated effects, weather that acts like real weather (affects visibility/ targeting not "go out and you die"), construction items that provide useful tools like functional artillery, etc all require that the staff at Rogue Planet invest time and effort. Most of which won't translate into immediate profit because the stuff people would actually buy is already in the game.

Compare that to these "quests" are really just turning on a flag when Y number of X events happen and can be done by pretty anyone who understands Boelean logic. Now given that all the halfway competent coders at Daybreak left before it spun off all its studios and the entire company mindset can be summed up as "hit profit growth targets THIS quarter and to hell with the consequences next year", which option do you think they'll take?

Face facts. Planetside 2 starting dieing the moment SOE was sold to a collection of corporate raiders. What we're seeing now is only the point where people can't not see the rot anymore without being actively delusional.
    • Up x 1
  11. ican'taim

Not a fan of the missions, but if Planetside 2 keeps being "Battlefield: Auraxis", the game will utterly stagnate like it has been ever since DBG took over.
  12. iller

I feel like everyone who's commenting on this is either missing Occam's Razor.... or just have NEVER been a "Creator"/Artist themselves and just doesn't understand the "Creator Fatigue" and how creative people can't stand working on the same exact things over and over and over again.... even when that's EXACTLY WHAT THEY SHOULD BE DOING to make the game poplar again.

Not making excuses for them either... Just pointing out that most Asset creators just want to shake up their routines and work on things that feel "NEW" and showy and that gets them big Dopamine-Bucks from their other Media-Insider friends. As the saying goes, it's always "a big club, and you're not in it" (and there's usually a ton of degeneracy in that club too)
    • Up x 1
  13. Trigga

So what youre saying is that software developers are exempt from the mundane?
    That they dont have to do repetative tasks because they get bored?

Nice, im in the wrong job.