[Suggestion] Squad/Platoon Leadership

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Johannes Kaiser, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Johannes Kaiser

Now, I don't know if particularly the first idea is new, but I don't remember seeing it around here.
    1) What if it were possible to make squad, platoon and fireteam markers cound as objectives? In the way like capture points, you get more XP for doing things while near them. In oder to reduce possible abuse, it would probably be prudent to restrict this to the lowst tier available (means if you got a fireteam waypoint on, only that counts, if there are none, your squad marker counts, platoon marker only if there is nothing else). I guess that might even be relatively easy to implement, and it could benefit squad cohesion (especially in open ones) and reward cohesion and split where needed (as shown by what markers are where).
    2) Could also be good if squad/platoon leaders could build PMBs from the map, a bit like in an RTS. This may be a nightmare to implement, though. As has been argued elsewhere, building PMBs from above would be hugely beneficial.
    3) Give a leader who is on the map (but clearly not afk) a cut of the XP that their squad/platoon members earn (5% for squad, 2% for platoon; reason for distinction should be obvious). This could encourage them to stay on the map and direct their players from there. Possible limitation that they'd have to be both alive and within 1000m of their team. Also only the highest leaders should be able to do this, so if you're in a platoon, only the PL gets to do map control. Bonus points as that might give them more opportunities to use the leader chat and voice-chat, and so increases inter-team cooperation.
    Having a commander's booth in every spawn for one player who enters and takes command of the base would be cool as well, and especially nice for the solo players out there, who'd get to benefit from the system as well (both as commanders if they want to, and as recepients of bonus XP). But I fear that would be even harder to implement, awesome as it'd be.

Got those from the game "Nuclear Dawn", that I only played shortly (i didn't particularly enjoy it), where players can opt for playing commander at the beginnign of a match, and they will essentially be playing an RTS, sending player-controlled soldiers around. This makes waypoints appear for them, and they get bonus points for going there and doing things around their marked position, but they are not forced there. The commander also gets to build powerlines, that I honestly forgot what they do. It's been a few years. But this combined with the requests for building drones that I've read around here.
    • Up x 2
  2. pnkdth

I like 1 and 3 since the first teach new and intermediate players what counts and the other doesn't make it so leaders miss out just because they focus on the bigger picture. I've seen far too many leaders quit leading because they felt disconnected or that some players took their role for granted, which is why I really like number two since it reinforces the commander role.

Number 2 has potential to really build on the convoy system as when you click to build, unmanned vehicles could be sent out and start the process. Players can then speed the process up by adding resources and such to appeal to players who love construction while also adding an element of coop rather to build "super bases." Then, of course, the rest of your platoon protecting and transporting stuff. Essentially making the construction aspect of PS2 be both individual, squad based, and faction based. No matter where your preferences fall, you can pull your weight.
    • Up x 1