Patch First Impressions

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mianera, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Mianera

Amazing new revamp of Esamir, very refreshing and great to see fights take place outside Biolabs.

Missions: They seem counter intuitive to game play. People don't log into planetside to pick up quests, they log in to shoot. Having to the to the daily hub and collect a bunch of missions, is nothing but a annoying chore. Planetside 2 isn't Destriny 2, please don't try to make it so. It's fine to give us bonuses based on performance, but do we really have to pick them up? Why aren't they just auto accepted. And why is there a limit to how many missions you can hold?

Campaign: What's the point? Planetside 2 is a massively multiplayer first person shooter... not a single player experience.

The lightning storm: I get that's meant to move players away from stale fights that aren't going anywhere...
    But stale fights that aren't going anywhere are usually the most fun ones and best for farming certs. Furthermore this nearly instantly destroys deployed sunderers? This isn't a positive implementation.
    Players don't cheer "OH COOL, the storm is here"
    Instead they go: "Oh, this annoying thing just ruined the fight"

Convoys: This is a fantastic additions for vehicle lovers. Doesn't do much for infantry or gives a reason to redeploy in order to attack/defend one. They don't show up on the map either, so...

TL;DR - The new Esamir is welcoming and refreshing experience. The addition of anti-player gameplay systems, is not.
    • Up x 2
  2. Thalestr

The storm has gotta go. All the new stuff and tweaks are cool, but that storm just ruins gameplay.
  3. pnkdth

Cheers for the update. Going to be interesting to hear from more players as this develops.
    • Up x 2
  4. ican'taim

Personally I'm looking forward to the campaigns because I like lore and immersion, but to each their own.
    ISO nerf....ehhh I'm not an implant hoarder so I'm not too concerned. Most implants beyond the basic ones are too niche anyways. Cert gain nerf will hurt tho.

Devs listened to feedback about BEC ammution and condinsate grenades, that's good.
    Starting in sanc is a nice touch, hopefully less new players will be dumped onto low pop continents.
    Abandoned vehicles are nice, hopefully I can steal a Magrider and give the vanu a taste of their own medicine!

Overall cool update 8.5/10
  5. Foxassassin

I honestly have no idea who came up with the missions for the campaign or why. It's like they were make for the express purpose of bringing out the worse of the community.
    Forcing people to be platoon leads for 24 people? Do they realize how many people do not or are incapable of doing leadership? And like, that's not even just them. If they're fumbling to try to do leadership, everyone under them is going to be just as clueless.

Not having Esamir open 24/7 means that some people won't be on to event do the missions, let alone what -just- happened. TR and NC were trying to get progress up by the warpgate. VS steamrolled the continent and took about 70% of it before moving to the SWG area and completely locked it down. No one could get close.

And the mission for making a BASE up there? That's only making the problem worse. People are going at eachother's throats worse and worse for no reason than poor mission design. This isn't just competition. This is malice. People are doing things for no other reason than to deliberately screw over the other two people. I've even seen people C4ing their teammates over it...
  6. OneShadowWarrior

Besides the knife fix, rendering distance setting which Sony removed which is not new, UI cleanup and map tweaking.

I don’t notice to much else. It definitely isn’t making me open the wallet up and just using station cash that I earn thru lifetime membership.

After all this, they couldn’t come up with a entirely new map, weapons or new vehicle, are they that short of ideas and Funding?
  7. Blam320

I'm sorry, but did you forget the tiny little detail that the PlanetSide team was reduced to a mere TWO DEVELOPERS, and they've been rebuilding themselves back into some semblance of a decent-sized team?
  8. iller

I'm still a little unclear on the exact conditions that are supposed to trigger these storms? Can anyone explain them in like real A.I. designer details? Do the trigger volumes Scale with the region of the conflict? Is it Population multiplied by Time based? How much randomness is involved? What exactly are they Dis-incitivizing?
  9. Thalestr

I don't have the actual numbers, but from what I've seen ingame - it seems to travel to the "hottest" point of activity on Esamir. Once it arrives and kills all the sunderers (which it does within seconds of arriving) it will drift off to the next hotspot once population thins.

Doesn't look like points need to be flipped for it to trigger, either, as the storm arrived at a base that we hadn't even touched the capture points of. I'm guessing it just goes off raw kills to decide if it should go there.
  10. JustGotSuspended

it goes to the biggest fight, it's probably works similar to instant action. The biggest concentration of pop, then randomly starts killing stuff

it's supposed to focus on vehicle zergs