Hit Reg not consistent in planetside 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by gunnner10, Sep 24, 2020.

1. gunnner10

I figure lag/ping plays some minor part in gun play, but this is rediculous:

Nailed that light assault with a head shot and body shot, still didnt get the kill. This happens pretty often too
  2. JibbaJabba

At slow mo, you're missing. You can pause and see the pellets missing.

That said, hitreg can indeed be crap in this game.
  3. gunnner10

JibbaJabba, check the frames at 7 seconds. I fired right as my reticule was on the dudes Head! and this was not "at Range". he was fairly close. Its like bullets (or Pellets) don't always do the same amount of damage
  4. sogorlaB

Standard for Planetside :D Check this:

I hit him he didint die 2nd time i completley miss and kill that medic xD
    • Up x 1
  5. JibbaJabba

Your reticule recoils up towards head right as the hitmarker comes in.

the shot was at the body though and DOES result in a hitmarker. It's not a head hitmarker.

Your shot at 06 mostly goes into the rock, doesn't damage much.
    Your shot at 07 is a body shot. It does manage to break his shield though, you see that in the death screen.

Sorry man. Planetside does have some flakey hitreg when servers are under load. That wasn't the case here.
  6. AlcyoneSerene

Not doubting hitreg can be a major source of frustration in planetside2, particularly those who deliberately manipulate their connection somehow plus moving erratically to receive nearly zero damage facehugging any gun, but that first example isn't it.

You're at considerable range from your target, there's pellet spreads that clearly miss, I'm seeing hit markers every time, and shotguns can often suffer from some clunky trigger delay, plus travel time to target.

I've dealt damage to players without even seeing hit markers and I know this since they died to it. On my end I typically can not complain about hitreg for ordinary gameplay, but I do find it very frustrating when players that clearly absorbed a ton of headshot and bodyshot damage that should by all numbers have scored a kill but does not.

Maybe that also falls under hitreg issues, but to me it's network problems with the player's machine not receiving the damage as a result of poor netcode, network hickups, or deliberate exploitation.

There's also obvious cases where zero damage registers, and that's when your target is already dead but on your end they aren't, and those are clear enough as the target always dies. This also happens when you're already registered as dead but on your end haven't died yet and so firing results in zero damage out.
  7. Liewec123

Yeah there can be times that you'll spay someone in the back with bullets
    and they'll turn around and instantly 2 shot you with their 147dmg weapon
    and kill screen will show that you lightly chipped their shield.

Some players are blessed by the PS2 gods (notably the ones who stream and make youtube vids.)
    Others are cursed.
    • Up x 4
  8. Twin Suns

The game we play is old as dirt. How come nobody realizes this....or wants to acknowledge that fact.

You're foots on fire, meh I can still walk though. Yeah, but you can't keep up. ;)
  9. iller

This is my main complaint about all of it.
    I don't expect 2019 RainbowSix / BlackOps level snappy clean hit registry in a freakin' 10 year old MMORPG Engine and I definitely don't expect Valve comp servers' 120 tick rates. But what I DO expect these passive aggressive Anti-Science social planning woke Developers to consider.... is DESIGNING their way around much of the exploitability of it just a little teeny tiny bit.

One example: FLAG ping spikers, especially the ones who just happen to latency spike right before they do a whole bunch of Packet Compression damage to the enemy faction (because this is exactly how most of them do it in order to completely PREVENT their opponents from even being able to serpentine out of the way or pop medkit in time). ...this is something that's super duper easy to script into into the Network Log file recording. And then you have that data scanned with Pattern recognition suboutines to find EVERYONE who's suspiciously accurate (but only) during those seemingly innocent packet drops. ...maybe even offer that info in the public API's if they're really feeling brave about exposing these FRAUDS the way they always should have been

Another example: have that system Alert a G.M. INSTANTLY if the client is also VPN'ing. Infact, run another script that also checks if their client is trying to fudge in suspiciously high Framerate and is frequently negotiating with the Server to CATCH UP TO THEM during any damage packet registering or skill Activations even if they're only fractions of a second ahead. Look for consistent inconsistency and that's where you'll find a surprising amount of VS and just try-hards in general.

Last example and probably the thing that needed to be added FIRST: Have the Server recording "Demo" files from the Attacker's point of view recording all of their aim vectors every tick and offer the last 20 seconds of that demo file TO the target who was just killed for offline Reviewing. This would be the first step in allowing the Community to completely police itself and make the Jobs of GM's a whole lot easier than how they're currently doing it. (b/c instead of sending in grainy screenshots and sub-30fps poorly encoded video, we could instead send those perfectly clean Demo files to Customer Support which had the ACTUAL aiming vectors instead of only the ones we see on our Clients after a 500 ms round trip latency hiccup)
    • Up x 3
  10. JustGotSuspended

I just have a feeling you don't know how shotguns work. Hitreg sucks, yes. Especially with the older knives, or the flare guns its depressing. Add lag, server latency, yeah...

however using shotguns and that clip to prove your point was wrong.

Shoguns have pellet spread, and the cone of fire you see is just where the center pellet originates. The remaining pellets are around that center pellet. This means shotguns essentially have 2 cone of fires, and spread. So your first cone of fire could overlap perfectly with your target, but if you're unlucky your center pellet can originate on the edge of the first cone of fire, creating a second cone of fire where the remaining pellets grouped around the center pellet are not overlapping the first cone of fire, which will essentially result in half your shots missing.

It's all random, which is why sometimes you're lined up perfectly and half your shots miss, and other times you're completely off and still land that 1hk. In your video, you are pretty far, you're not aiming down sights, and your first cone of fire is barely lined up with the target. You can clearly see a majority of your pellets flying past him or splattering on the nearby rock.

Not to embarrass you, but you're kinda asking for it. I don't even deny there's bad hitreg in this game, but that's not a video of that. You made poor use of a shotgun, and got exactly what you should expect. It's incompetence, not hitreg that was a factor in your death.

Some tips: try to ADS when you can, especially when using a shotgun at longer ranges, it narrows your first cone of fire and the pellet spread. If you're going to main with a shotgun, either get creative at flanking enemies or sneaking up to get close to them, otherwise use slugs. If you don't kill him with the first shot, or even the second, switch to your pistol - for you maybe something like the emissary or the pilot.
    • Up x 1
  11. TombsClawtooth

Hitreg is pretty much a non-factor in an instance like this.

Where it is an annoyance is when you're killed by someone you already killed. Almost every other 1v1 I encounter in planetside results in being killed by the other player even though I killed them.

I think there's a lot of network weirdness at play in PS2 that needs reigned in.
    Countless times I've been pre-fired on as if someone was wallhacking, at the exact perfect moment. And it's immediately obvious from that, they are not wall hacking but network prediction had put my character in their line of sight far before I ever had a chance to see them.
    • Up x 1
  12. JibbaJabba

haha, I strive to do exactly this.

There is tons and tons of player predictability in this game. People have a predictable time at which they'll reappear after ducking. Then if they don't reappear in that exact timeframe it means they are reloading or hitting the medkit. Both again, have a predictable time.

That cover someone ran behind? They'll come out the other side 10m away at a predictable time. Why do they assume nobody is tracking them and stutter step it just once?

And if there is no initial peek to work with to predict the second? Good ole minimap. Everyone should just play like they are on radar all the time. We already have the "yellow strip" on the building walls to tell us where to aim. The minimap just adds in the *when*. :D

Edit: And to the network prediction point... yeah comes from when you full stop before exposing LOS, but prediction of your motion projects you out into the LOS. If someone gets a peek at you from this it means their inbound connection is crap. Pity such players for they shall get the everliving crap client sided out of them all day every day.
  13. JustGotSuspended

all thanks to ping, latency and extrapolation.

basically there's times where you'll just be running in a straight line for seconds on the other dude's screen, even though you quickly ducked into cover.