Tips for new players

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ZDarkShadowsZ, Jul 28, 2020.

1. ZDarkShadowsZ

If you could give a single tip (not a wall of text!) to a new player, what would it be?

For me, since I end up saying similar a lot in-game, it'd be this:

If you're playing Infiltrator, shoot recon darts as much as you can, and drop motion spotters wherever possible. Enemies moving around will appear on the minimap (range depends on how upgraded the recon device is), and you get XP for every kill a teammate makes within range.
    • Up x 1
  2. Twin Suns

I keep a close eye on my crops in the field, I often ask them...How do you like being farmed?

Before you get mad at me, remember this. "Don't hate the player, hate the game that's designed to be a farming simulator". ;)
    • Up x 1
  3. Badman76

I've got a good one, enemy spawn points, these buildings have 1 way shields, so from the outside you can't shoot in.

The amount of times on ceres i've seen a bunch of TR noobs standing outside trying to shoot in
    • Up x 1
  4. DarkStarAnubis

Don't buy any weapon until you have an Auraxium medal on the default ones.

And even then pick according to the playstyle you have developed.
  5. Campagne

Upgrade your tools, and do it as soon as you can

The efficiency difference can be night and day and will make the difference time and time again.
    • Up x 1
  6. The Shady Engineer

General:

- Invest in class specific abilities, tools, utilities and suit slots before buying new weapons. Exceptions to the rule are replacing the Gauss SAW with the GD-22 for NC and replacing the default semi-auto snipers with bolt rifles for TR and VS. Both are relatively cheap at 325 certs.

- Don't buy weapons with Daybreak Cash. If you want to earn certs quickly to unlock new weapons, buying a membership is the way to go.

- Join an outfit. Preferably avoid the largest ones on the faction as they will teach you bad habits. In my experience the 100-200 member "midfits" offer the best mix of community and new player experience.

- Consider investing 50 certs into rank 1 Sunderer deployment shield and 50 certs into rank 1 Sunderer ammo dispenser. Sundies are the lifeblood of battle in Planetside. If your platoon leader asks for more spawns to be set up, having deployment shield on your Sunderer makes it a lot more resilient. If platoon lead calls for an armor column, having an ammo Sunderer to resupply friendly tanks is always useful. Not to mention plenty of certs. Both upgrades are dirt cheap investments and will pay for themselves tenfold in usefulness.

Combat:

- If possible, don't charge into a building with enemies in it by yourself. If you come to a door alone and see friendlies on their way, wait for them to catch up before going into the building. Charging in as a group will make the push a lot more effective.

- If you want to move forward and see a friendly with their weapon shouldered, go around them instead of through them or directly in front of them. You never know what they were aiming at or when they were going to shoot. Avoid unnecessary friendly fire incidents.

- If you are in the front rank to push through a door or corner and want to stop to fire at an enemy- CROUCH! This will make it so the man behind you can also shoot at that target instead of his shot being blocked by your head, effectively doubling the firepower.

- If you are holding a building against larger numbers, try to stay away from windows, walls and rooftops. Enemy snipers always sweep through windows looking for juicy heads sticking out. Likewise when tanks shell buildings, they will try to hit interior walls and kill people with splash. Splash hurts within 0.5 meters but quickly tapers off after that. Rooftops are vulnerable to enemy air attack.

Engineer specific:

- The MANA turret can be used as a platform to scale obstacles or peek over high walls.

- You are not as tough as heavies or medics but are a lot more resilient. If you combine the 2 second faster shield recharge engineers get with the Advanced Shield Capacitor suit upgrade, you become effectively immune to chip damage because you regen shields super fast. Use that in combat. Instead of standing and trading with heavies, disengage after taking a bullet or two, recharge shields and then re-engage. Your shields will be back up while his will still be recharging. Kill them with bug bites.

- You can detonate your own tank mines by shooting at them, or alternatively, throwing a sticky nade at them and running away. This is useful because by force detonating 3 AT mines you can insta kill any non deployment shield or mineguard Sunderer.

- Be careful with where you place your mines. Remember, friendly mines are one EMP grenade away from becoming enemy mines!

- Repair grenades can stick to MAX units.

- You can repair MAX units around corners. The initial repair beam requires line of sight to lock on but will maintain the lock afterwards even if line of sight is broken. Use this to continue to repair MAXes from a safe location as they push past the corner.

- Sometimes the extra firepower from your primary weapon is more useful than your nano-repair tool fixing up a MAX. When pushing into a crowded room for example, your tool won't be able to out-repair the damage that MAX is going to take. Killing some of the heavies trying to rocket the MAX will prove more useful.
    • Up x 1
  7. DarkStarAnubis

At the beginning you will need certs, a lot of them.

Easiest and by far, the most useful way to make you loved by your comrades: play Medic. Everyone appreciates a Medic running around, healing and rezzing. Invest every certs in speeding up your medic tool.

Don't die rezzing someone exposed to enemy fire. That's what rezzing grenades are for but you will buy them later. Use this trick:

"
    - You can repair MAX units around corners. The initial repair beam requires line of sight to lock on but will maintain the lock afterwards even if line of sight is broken. Use this to continue to repair MAXes from a safe location as they push past the corner.
    "

It works on the Medic tool as well.
    • Up x 1
  8. Johannes Kaiser

Uff, I would actually not say that. I'd rather recommend new players check out the weapons available in the VR and then see what suits them best and save for it (unless it's the default, then good for them).
    • Up x 1
  9. NotziMad

Aim for the head. Just aim for the head. Remember to aim for the head.

Head shot bonus in PS2 is (probably a bit too) strong.
    • Up x 2
  10. BengalTiger

First be a gunner.
    Contrary to some other games, points earned are not limited to the given class/weapon/vehicle. One does not need to grind a single weapon to get the attachments.
    Gunning for an experienced player will give a very easy intro to the game world, with someone to show how things go.

Also - while being a gunner, one can also own a Sundy. Park it safely, have extra points for people spawning from it and vehicles resupplying. Just stop by it every now and then to relocate it closer to the battlefield and reset the despawn timer.

So now with both active and passive cert gain and a pilot/tanker (buggy driver?) for guidance, PS 2 is easy to get into.
    Then once you have some certs, go ahead and upgrade whatever guns or equipment you like.

Then be a medic.
    The assault rifle is quite the bollocks, the class's role is more/less in the second line, so it allows to get familiar with the teamplay, flow of battles, and of layouts bases and buildings, while also getting lots of XP for keeping the show alive.
  11. vonRichtschuetz

Play medic. Easy class concept. Rez = EZ XP. Good weapons.
  12. RblDiver

Imma cheat and give two:
    1. Stop running into chokepoint doorways where the rest of your team is aiming.
    2. Stop running in front of engineers in turrets while they're actively firing.