Advanced Specialization Program - I need to make a choice

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Netsurfer733, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Netsurfer733

I've finally dinged my first BR100 today! Now that I have, I need to decide if I should go for it.

I've seen a *lot* of BR120's, and apparently you cannot get to that BR anymore if you go for this https://planetside.fandom.com/wiki/Advanced_Specialization_Program

Nor do you gain certs from 1 to 15...

And...all your ranks are reset?

There's surprisingly little recent talk or videos or information on this, so far as I can find. Plus the forum search feature isn't working right now...

So, I need to come here for my information. Who has experience with this? What should I consider?

Is it *literally* all ranks that are reset, for every single weapon, slot, etc.? Implants and the like remain untouched I presume, as do weapons and things purchased with DBC or certs.

But then if you're capped to BR100 and you can't earn from 1-15, don't you end up with considerably fewer certs by the time you're BR100 than another player's BR100?

I really do appreciate my versatility...so if anyone can let me know if I understand this correctly, or can point me to some youtube videos I can't seem to find, I can use any advice I can get.
  2. The Shady Engineer

When you ASP, the only thing that resets is your battle rank. Whatever gear, certs, merit, A7 etc you had before you ASPed you get to keep.

Only thing that changes is you go from BR 100 to ASP BR 1. You also get a little eagle icon to show that you ASPed and of course the ASP tokens that you can spend to unlock cool new things with.

You will be able to earn certs the same way you did before you ASPed. What is meant by "capped at BR100" is you will not be able to go to BR101 or higher. You will still get xp as usual and every 250 ticks of xp are still a cert, you just won't be able to level up past ASP BR 100.

"Won't get certs from BR 1-15": You know how new characters get 100 free certs every time they rank up between battle ranks 1 and 15 as a boost for newbies to be able to buy more stuff quicker? You won't get it again once you enter the ASP program. You will be able to get certs the usual way (xp ticks) just like before though.

Edit: If you ask me, it's a no-brainer. If you've got a membership, ASP away. The grind from BR 100 to BR 120 is atrocious, something like twice as long as the grind from BR 80 to BR 100 and the only benefit you get from it is a title. ASP gives you an opportunity to make some very interesting combos like shotgun secondaries for engineers, SMG secondaries for light assaults or sticky grenades for infiltrators. Or you can just get a flat 20% nanite discount to pull your favorite vehicle. A lot more interesting than grinding for a title.
    • Up x 3
  3. ZDarkShadowsZ

To be honest, I don't know why anyone wouldn't go for ASP. The benefits far outweigh any 'downside'.

All going ASP means is that your BR is reset back to 1. That's literally it. You get an ASP point as soon as you invest, and another every 25 ranks, so you get 5 points in total. While some of the perks aren't too interesting, some are pretty good depending on what you play.

Assault rifles and LMG's are great on Engineer for me. I invested the rest of my points into vehicle discounts which are pretty handy at times. More so now you can add outfit modules to bases. 30% off a vehicle with ASP, and another 30% off with a module. Lightnings alone become just 175 nanites. So if you're a vehicle driver, it's a great investment.

I reached BR 120 before ASP came around and can definitely agree, the grind from 100 to 120 was horrifying. The only benefit of doing the extra 20 BR's is for the titles. Unless you're interested in collecting one-time titles, or actually use them, there's no real point.

If you don't want to spend money on membership to ASP, there's always the 10k cert price tag.

Either way, I would 100% recommend getting it unless you care to grind for titles.
    • Up x 3
  4. Netsurfer733

Awesome thanks so much for this perspective; I was actually mostly sure this was the case, but I was starting to fear that slight possibility that I was wrong.

Now I need to know if I care about getting the titles:
    Destroyer
    Champion
    Conqueror
    Predator
    Dreadnaught

Which are definitely cool! But...idk about this character lol. The others are already great.

Yeah...yeah. Thanks a million guys, much appreciated :)
    • Up x 1