How Firestorm breaks the game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Grimlore, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Grimlore

Firestorm easily will be one of the most broken implants ever for a long time. Its any 2kd heavys wet dream. it effectivly turns the anchor into a damn cyclone! ADD some cons to it, make it so it doubles bloom spread encouraging the user to burst more or SOMTHING. people who have already gotten this mod says it literally gives them an absolute decrease TTK in all situations.

CAMIKAZE78 youtube video on this sums it up very well.
    • Up x 1
  2. Crayv

This was really just the next step in all those "reward on skill" implants.

It needs to go and I think all the other ones should be reworked as well.
    • Up x 1
  3. Fofim

I wont use It...
  4. Twin Suns

My SMGgladius/infil's TTK on Heavies is noice!.

Chopping cabbage!
  5. Johannes Kaiser

Well, Camikaze got it fast and tested it. And yeah, it's about as expected.
    • Up x 2
  6. Peebuddy

Was surprised this was put in the game at all, it's so unlike the philosophy of their other implants. Which focus mainly on longevity, versatility, and reduced downtime. This just straight up allows you to dab on your foes, reducing the ttk in the game which already has a really short ttk in the first place. People are dieing to this before their computer can even register what's going on, yikes.

But removing this would mean they're admitting to a mistake and they would never do something silly like that.
    • Up x 1
  7. DarkStarAnubis

it is a controversial implant and it breaks the design philosophy. Implants either:

make you recover faster from damage taken
    make you make absorb more damage than usual, or take less damage
    give you some perk (reload faster, move faster) or benefit (get ammo, warning)

No implant increases your weapon DPS (more DMG, more ROF, ...).
  8. Liewec123

because those Betelgeuse HAs weren't killing us fast enough,
    i'm just imagining how good Betelgeuse + Coldheart + Firestorm could be,
    infinite ammo with no reloads, high damage and fast weapon cooling...

that being said i would like to see what i could do with my lasher using this implant,
    in tight situations i could imagine it being up constantly, and an 8% fire rate increase is pretty tasty,
    though i'm not gonna be bothered doing the stupid grinds.
  9. OneShadowWarrior

To be honest, it only really effects the big magazine weapons above 100 rounds.

I opened it tonight and don’t find chaining the shots to be a huge deal breaker. Heavy assault took a beating in a 2017 update that reduced the power of many significant weapons, so it’s about time they pulled something together.

With so many implant choices. I don’t see Firestorm as a significant threat with only two implant slots.

You have to score a kill and the 3/5 seconds goes way to quick, it is nothing like how bad the exploits were with critical chain that wasn’t fixed for several years.
  10. LodeTria

Assimilate + Firestorm would be better than coldheart lol.
    The 200 shields + 10% overshield energy is just so much better than a slightly reduced downtime.
  11. Liewec123

Well firestorm is all about boosting RoF, and cold heart isn't a slight reduced downtime, it's a pretty big reduction.
    It reduces the delay before cooldown starts by 20% and then also speeds up the cooldown by 20%,
    That's a lot of extra bullets, and with the increased RoF from firestorm, you'll definately appreciate it!
  12. The Shady Engineer

It's already nerfed on PTS.

" When the effect is active, horizontal recoil, cone of fire bloom on both aim down sights and hipfire are increased by 200%, and horizontal recoil tolerance is effectively uncapped."

The implants is awful now. GOOD!

Good on Wrel for listening to the community on this one. I mean, this thing should have been on PTS first and would've never gone live in its current state if it had, but still, credit where credit is due.
    • Up x 1
  13. That_One_Kane_Guy

We'll see. Regardless you are aware this should not be the goal, right?
    • Up x 2
  14. Liewec123

i'd actually prefer if they changed it to something useful,
    but i suppose that this is the best that we can expect from our youtuber Lead Developer.
    release something slightly too good and then nerf it out of existence...
    here in the UK we have a saying "like a bull in a china shop.", seems rather fitting for Wrel.
    • Up x 1
  15. The Shady Engineer

In this case? It absolutely should.

Weapons in this game are carefully balanced against each other so that they're side grades instead of straight up upgrades. In comes this implant which gives a flat 8% dps increase with no downside. For reference 8% more fire rate is roughly the difference b/w the TAR and TRV or Mercenary and Bandit and the latter have to sacrifice so much in terms of accuracy and reload speed for that 8% faster ROF while Firestorm gives it for free.

It reminds me of the whole Canis Unstable ammo fiasco. It was busted on release, recognized by devs as a mistake and nerfed into irrelevance. It should have never been added into the game in the first place but since it was, they decided to make the penalty for using it so absurdly high that it became nigh useless outside of very niche situations. Kind of like this implant will be post nerf.

Obviously a complete rework would be better but if the 8% ROF boost is here to stay, nerfing it into obscurity is the correct move.
  16. zerotheliger

im sorry but ive wasted so much time grinding towards this thing for a reward thats completely useless now. its now a detriment to equip it at all it makes your spread massive now. theres literally no point to this implant that i wasted time towards trying to get. i feel cheated out of wasted time. if your goal is to never allow new things to happen to the game and instead bait and switch people then your doing it. with that mindset. i agree it was stronger than it should be but now you support a nerf so hard on it that it makes it completely hurt you and is against what implants are supposed to be about. yeah make people work towards this cool new implant waste time then nerf it to the point that its useless thatll keep new players comming.
    • Up x 1
  17. Johannes Kaiser

That nerf was overdoing it. Would have been better to just step away from it affecting DPS entirely instead of giving it a hellish drawback.
    Maybe that the last 10 shots of a magazine have a slight fire DoT? This would encourage people to go through the entiremagazine and would have the tradeoff that people would more often reload in actual combat or switch to their sidearms. In other words, it would be potentially strong, but niche since potentially dangerous to the user as well.
    • Up x 1
  18. Liewec123

200% increased cof bloom means there will now only be 2 weapons that you can use it on,
    MCG and naginata.
    Everything else will just spay bullets all over the place,
    Even the naginata will be tough with the 200% recoil.
  19. The Shady Engineer

I'm sure the last person to unlock UA Canis before it got nerfed was also upset.

New things added to the game are good as long as they're not pants on head stupid. I have some problems with Bastions and outfit OS spam but overall I'm okay with them being in the game. I have my issues with the Horizon carbine because of how it interacts with light assaults Wrel-icoptering (with all the hit detection problems that brings) with perfect accuracy but I'm glad a weapon like the Horizon (0 COF, 0 bloom) exists to test a concept for the devs to maybe use on other weapons in the future. Wtf did Firestorm do that was new? Break weapon balance in the game? Allow vets to farm newbies 8% faster?

"What implants are supposed to be": Take a look at the implants we have in the game. Notice how none of them buff DPS directly and instead are utilities like not taking fall damage, clear vision, anti-radar or they help things like movement speed and shield/health recovery etc. Then there is (old) Firestorm.

You know what will make new players more frustrated than having an implant nerfed? Them getting deleted by 810 RPM Orions.

"I grinded for it" is a non argument. The implant was going to go into the common pool eventually, you just wanted your OP toy faster and are upset it is getting nerfed before you had a chance to abuse use it.
    • Up x 2
  20. Johannes Kaiser

Well, I understand the annoyance of having it nerfed just after acquiring it. The implant absolutely could not stay in the old form, agreed, but it would have been cool to change the effect instead of batting it to nirvana with the nerfhammer.
    Then it would have been grind for something that was *something* instead of stupid grind for a horrible implant.
    • Up x 1