No recoil when increasing the FOV greater than 110

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Werkitten, Jul 3, 2020.

1. The Shady Engineer

Gave it a try, it's fake news.

Recoil is flat constant but feels lower because there is more visible with higher FOV. The lower the FOV the more recoil is "felt" but when ADSing and lifting my mouse up, my sights ended up in the same spot regardless of the FOV.

There is one advantage to low FOV though- because everything is zoomed in, heads are bigger and are easier to hit. In a game where headshots are the meta, it's a pretty big deal. The obvious flip side to that is because of low FOV you have bigger blind spots and are more vulnerable to getting flanked. Pick your poison. Also the game looks like *** on lower FOV imo.
  2. Werkitten

Unfortunately, I can't trust the veterans of this game on this issue, for obvious reasons. And the more experience a player has, the less trustworthy they are in such matters.
    My personal experiment so far says that the result is there and it is very noticeable, and I have repeatedly seen similar recommendations in thematic groups (of course, not those where developers can see it). This can not be attributed to perception, since it was determined not visually, but by the number of marks on hits.
    Checking the claim that this has the same effect as reducing the sensitivity of the mouse showed that no, this is not true.

If it was up to me - I would make the configuration file completely closed for editing, for honest players it doesn't matter much.

I do not see the point in continuing the discussion, further communication should be conducted with the game developers and clarify the information directly from them.
  3. SparrowArrow

This wouldn't solve the issue, as FoV can be changed in game through the use of a command. Typing "/fp_fov <number>" in the chat allows you to change your field of view as often as you like.
    It might also make any testing that you're doing a lot easier, seeing as you won't have to reload your client every time you want to change it.
    • Up x 4
  4. InexoraVC

"No recoil when increasing the FOV " will be the proven concept when there will be the statistics about K/D changes, e.g. K/D with high FOV should be higher than the K/D with low FOV.
  5. NotziMad

Well then ... after he made the the configuration file "read only", he would delete that command from the console...

Problem solved? :)
  6. pnkdth

In the video you shared the player do two different things in his test. First he hipfires with low FOV and then he ADS with high FOV. In the video made by Obi he performed the exact same test with both low and high FOV. The only thing the video link you posted has showed us that hipfire is less accurate than ADS.
    • Up x 1
  7. Somentine

Is this a late April Fool's joke?