No recoil when increasing the FOV greater than 110

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Werkitten, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Werkitten

My opinion is that this should be considered a type of cheat and punished with a ban.

Explanation for those who do not know what it is about. In the in-game menu, the maximum FOV value is 75. However, if you write it in the configuration file 110 or more, the weapon completely disappears recoil. This is how "high skill players" get hit in the head with all the bullets from long distances from LMG.
    Technically, this is not considered a cheat, since no third-party software is used. But in fact, this feature does the same thing that cheats do - the player gets an advantage that is not provided for by the normal operation of the game.

A video taken by one of the players as an experiment.
    https://vk.com/overhear_ps2?z=video-77290203_456243396/4e9fa54005d9d4b34f/pl_post_-77290203_105429

I think it's no secret that a large number of veterans of the game use it.
    • Up x 1
  2. csvfr

Recoil is constant, it shifts the reticule in in-game coordinates/values so is only experienced to be less on higher FOV settings. Just as marking a route on google maps, while it initially may draw a line across the entire screen, when you zoom out sufficiently this line becomes neglible. As a good player you might actually prefer lower FOV settings to be more capable of sensing and correcting for recoil rather than try to shoot the proportionally smaller target. Another trick is to use high FOV for the increased spatial awarness, which is great to have when hipfiring point blank targets that may move outside of the screen as well as using tactical movement yourself, yet have a 2x scope for the more narrow ADS shooting. A 1x scope with default FOV is equivalent to a 2x scope with 74 FOV, with the experienced recoil being the same.
  3. Werkitten

This is in theory. But in practice - what is clearly visible on the video, that is, the return simply disappears.
    No skill fully compensates for the recoil, since the sight throws in random directions as well. This can be dealt with using cut-offs, but this increases the kill time.

In principle, an honest player uses the settings within the limits set in the game menu. You can make as many excuses as you want, but going beyond these limits makes the player a cheater.
    The same applies to other add-ons, such as an additional sight on the screen created by a third-party program. This is an advantage that is not provided by the game in its normal mode of operation, and therefore is a cheat.
  4. NotziMad

I never heard of this ... ever......

And what I'm thinking is, if they don't consider this to be cheating, and people are doing it, I will have to do it also just so the fight is fair?

That totally sucks..
  5. NotziMad

I just thought of something; if the recoil still stays the same but it only looks like it's gone, how would someone doing this counter the recoil if he can't see it?
  6. Werkitten

It is clearly visible that all the bullets hit the target, without going beyond the size of the player. If I try to shoot at this distance (the length of the warpgate room) from any LMG available to me with continuous fire, some of the bullets will inevitably miss, even if the enemy is motionless.
    For this reason, I usually use short bursts or even single shots when shooting at relatively long distances.

To be honest, it is very demotivating. Why train the skill to cut off the queue and compensate for the return of weapons, if you can just slightly adjust the configuration of the game and shoot long bursts, having a much larger DPS, without any disadvantages?

The game is already quite unfriendly to new players, and then it turns out that just training skills is not enough, you need to know the hidden mechanics.
    • Up x 1
  7. ObiVanuKenobi

Fake, i just tested it. 115, 115+wide mode and 74 gave me the exact same amount of recoil. Shooting Betelgeuse until it overheats landed my crosshairs in exact same place every time and 115 had very visible recoil.

ADS always ends near the top of 2nd lamp, hipfire always ends slightly above 2nd lamp.
    • Up x 4
  8. NotziMad

that's the kind of constructive post I love it when people do that!

Tbh, I should have done that myself, thanks anyway, it would really suck if it were true.
  9. IVANPIDORVAN

Same kind of people believe what earth is flat just because they can't look at it from above.

>can't notice recoil
    >this means there is no recoil
    300iq logic, if you can't something this doesn't exist
  10. Werkitten

Ok. Why, then, is this not the case in the other video I gave as an example? I do not question your words and assume that in your experiment really exposed FOV 110+ but I wonder why such a difference in the recoil of the same weapon. In the first video, the bullets are flying at one point, and you have a well-marked toss of the barrel up.
  11. Werkitten

We need to experiment, there is definitely something strange here (Emits sounds of a researcher who has awakened interest)
  12. Liewec123

recoil is still there its just that you notice it less because its so small on the screen,
    set fov to the lowest possible and it will seem like you're boosting recoil so your gun shakes all over,
    when in reality its shaking the same amount, you're just zoomed in on it.

tested it with gauss saw.
    • Up x 5
  13. Johannes Kaiser

Doesn't surprise me. Watched the first video posted and every time he stopped shooting the crosshair jumped back a little, as it does when the player is manually compensating recoil.
  14. Werkitten

Checked on different FOV values, for the experiment I took the most inconvenient LMG-a Gauss saw 6, removing all the body kits from it. I chose several targets in the training room, at medium (about 50m), long (about 100m) and very far (150m) range, each time shooting at the same targets.

It works, but not quite the way I thought it would.
    FOV 110 - I didn't notice a difference with my regular 74.
    FOV 115 (as in the video from the first post) - the effect appeared. The vertical return remained unchanged, but for unknown reasons, the horizontal return has significantly decreased, which is exactly what causes the greatest problems. The spread of bullets did not disappear completely, but at the middle distance almost all the bullets hit the target, at the far end about half. A very long distance still remained difficult to defeat.
    FOV 120-didn't notice any difference from the previous one.
    Then I decided not to be petty and put the FOV 150. And here there was an interesting effect, instead of expanding the image, it narrowed, as if the FOV value was less than 40 (the minimum value in the game menu).
    At the value of FOV 200, the game refused to work, showing something like hyperspace on the screen.
    (I did not put the FOV 300, but perhaps then the secrets of the universe will open, I will not check it.)
    At FOV 40, it became almost impossible to hit the target. The sight jumps all over the screen and attempts to manually compensate for this do not help.

At the same time, as soon as you move the FOV slider in the in - game menu, in any direction-the FOV value will immediately return to normal and will be exactly the same as set in the in-game menu.

In General, I would say that the effect takes place, but it works in a fairly narrow range of FOV values and it does not remove the recoil of the weapon, but makes it easily controlled, reducing unpredictable fluctuations in the horizontal plane. When there is no horizontal recoil, it is easy to control the vertical axis, even when firing continuous fire.
    But for some reason I stopped getting it, as soon as I put the sight x2 instead of x1. And this is not a subjective perception, since the result is viewed by the number of hits.
  15. NotziMad

edit sorry delete (didn't see your last post)
  16. csvfr

When being in a 1 on 1 there are several factors of uncertainity involved:
    • Initial aimpoint - do you already have the reticule on the opponent or are slight adjustments necessary
    • Horizontal recoil - did the reticule move outside of the opponent and in which direction
    • Target movement - has the opponent repositioned himself outside of the bullet stream or use ADAD
    There are tradeoffs to be considered in real firefights outside of VR. With a low FOV it is for example possible to notice when horizontal recoil pushed the reticule to the left, meanwhile the target moved to the right, making a long adjustment necessary, and differentiate this from when the reticule is pushed to the same side as the opponent making a smaller adjustment necessary. This differentiation cannot be done when the FOV is so high that horizontal recoil isn't noticed. If the opponent makes a repositioning, this becomes harder to compensate for as it involves moving the mouse ever so slightly - just a millimeter or so where another millimeter results in bullets missing. On a lower FOV more detailed knowledge of the relative positioning between the reticule and opponent is available, and necessary adjustments have a greater room for error.
  17. DarkStarAnubis

Iridar debunked the myth the recoil changes with FoV a long time ago.

The smaller the FoV the higher the apparent recoil, as it is magnified by smaller FoV.
    The higher the Fov the smaller the apparent recoil, as it is smoothed by higher FoV.

However, recoil remains the same. With an smaller FoV everything appears bigger (player shapes as well) and conversely with an higher FoV everything appear smaller (player shapes as well).
  18. tommyrocket

Higher FoVs make your sensitivity feel slightly lower, however, due to more of the screen technically being available to pan over than normal. The nice part about this is that you can achieve the feel of better recoil control without the need to change your mouse sensitivity and or DPI. The fish-eye effect & shrinking of distant targets can be an issue sometimes, though. May also affect ability to quickly and accurately engage nearby targets if you have the need to turn around, be it 90 degrees or 180 due to fish-eye warping/banding effects.

Remember what it usually says on a vehicle side-mirror? "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear"

All in all, just set it to what fits you best. Personally, I always end up back at 74, but switch it up from time to time if I feel like it.
  19. Werkitten

You can always log in to the game and see the result (just do not touch the slider, as I wrote above, it immediately resets the settings to normal). I don't know how the game works in detail, this is a question for the developers, but I can assume that starting with a certain value, the system simply stops correctly calculating the horizontal recoil parameter. After all, these are values that the normal operation of the game is not designed for.
    There is another option that the game can register damage by focusing on the visual component. According to the principle "if the player sees a hit , the hit is counted".
    The third option-this may be a purely psychological effect and the player who visually does not see the return subconsciously better compensates for it. Although I think this is doubtful, since in normal operation, the horizontal return is almost unpredictable.

I could write off the phenomenon as a personal perception if I discovered it myself, but I found this information in one of the game's online communities.
  20. Werkitten

This seems like a logical explanation, but in this case, the same effect should be given by reducing the sensitivity of the mouse.
    I'll try to check it out.