Persistent 4-400 LaunchPad error

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Norris, May 7, 2020.

1. Norris

I've been having this problem since at least May 1st. I couldn't a find solution and resorted to uninstalling and reinstalling the game, this time with Steam (which I previously had not been using for PS2) so I could use the validating files function in Steam.

After reinstalling the game I could log in as normal and play the game without problems. However, every second login attempt after reinstalling the game I get the 4-400 LaunchPad error again. When validating the game files Steam tells me 17 files failed to validate and will be reacquired. I download these files and the Launcher does not respond to the first attempt to start it. On the second attempt to start the launcher I get the launcher showing me the 4-400 Launchpad error again. When validating the files again Steam tells me I need to download the 17 files which I just downloaded prior to starting the launcher. I get stuck here and can only resort to uninstalling and installing to get the game working for one time only before everything is locked up again with the 4-400 Launchpad error.
    • Up x 2
  2. Norris

I have done a DiffMerge test with a fresh download and these files are changed by staring the launcher:

.Downloadlnfo.txt
    LaunchPad.ini
    LaunchPad.libs\cef.pak
    LaunchPad.libs\LaunchPad.Cache\Cookies\Cookies
    LaunchPad.libs\locales\en-US.pak
    LaunchPad.libs\Logs\ExternalCommandProcessor.log
    LaunchPad.libs\Logs\ExternalLogging.log
    LaunchPad.libs\Logs\ExternalLoggingApi.log
    LaunchPad.libs\Logs\GameLauncher.log
    LaunchPad.libs\Logs\GameLauncherEngine.log
    LaunchPad.libs\Logs\GameLauncherStartup.log
    LaunchPad.libs\Logs\GameLauncherStates.log
    LaunchPad.libs\Logs\GameLauncherView.log
    LaunchPad.libs\Logs\WebCookies.log
    LaunchPad.libs\Web\error-connection.html
    LaunchPad.libs\Web\images\daybreak-logo.png
    LaunchPad.libs\Web\loading.html
    LaunchPad.libs\Web\static.css

The launcher and game works with these changes until I restart the PC. After restarting I get the 4-400 Launchpad error. When I use the Steam validation tool Steam finds 17 files needs update. I have found 18 files with DiffMerge. All .log and .txt files are not changed by Steam, and Cookies are not changed either. I belive Cookies is the file that Steam doesn't find, but I find with DiffMerge. If I Try to start the game with only validating the files with steam, I get the 4-400 Launchpad error, and all the .pak, .html, png, and .css files gets changed again by the launcher.

To successfully make the game work I have to overwrite all off the files above (not .txt and .log), or validate the game with Steam and then overwrite the Cookies before starting the game.

Hope this helps.
  3. Norris

This problem is still persistent in the current patch.
  4. Gibber

I've been getting this as well via Steam
  5. Skullnookum

Friend of mine has the exact same issue can't even connect it keeps giving him the same error and another friend can't even recover his account password because it wont send it to him i even had the same issue and i had to look at an old email to find my username their services are a joke right now.
  6. Norris

This latest patch seem to have fixed it for me. I'll keep an eye on it.
  7. Calmer Llama

I have been having this problem for about a month now. Any patches have not resolved this issue. However the following process does appear to be a successful workaround:

1. Stop Planetside 2 client
    2. Delete the contents of the <root install folder for planetside 2>\LaunchPad.libs\LaunchPad.Cache folder
    3. Restart Planetside 2 client
    4. Login but do NOT remember credentials (you will need to login each time you play).
    5. Accept the EULA dialogue (two of them).
    5. You should get the launcher up and running, a brief INSTALLING button which will be replaced with the >>PLAY<< button after a second or so.

4-400 errors no longer appear for me. You also will NOT get re-prompted for the EULA each launch.

Note that as soon as I ticked the "Remember me on this computer" button I started to have problems again. A bit more fiddling suggested that it may be related to AV (bitdefender) scanning of the
    C:\Games\Planetside 2\LaunchPad.libs\LaunchPad.Cache\Cookies\Cookies file. Sticking an AV exclusion on Realtime scanning of this file restored full functionality and I can now have my credentials set permanently.

Hope this helps.

CL
  8. Norris

The problem seems to have returned for me with the summer patch.

I no longer get the 4-400 bug with the launcher not starting, but instead when I push the play in the launcher i now get an error and the game doesn't start. The same way of fixing it worked as before. I also tried Calmer Llama's solution and that solved it aswell.

This problem is very serious, as I dont assume most players would go trough all this trouble to find a way to debug it themselves.
    • Up x 1
  9. HunterTehW

If you guys tried these solutions and it no work.

1. Open the PlanetSide 2 folder
    2. Run LaunchPad.exe as administrator

This for some reason worked for me while no other options did. Hope it helps
    • Up x 1
  10. YourPileOfClothes

This worked for me, thanks. I tried doing the methods listed above, but when I either deleted or fixed the files, now the launcher would instead load and then freeze before the going to black. Every time this happened there'd be no fix and I'd have to reinstall the game.