What this game needs is a way for low skillcapers to contribute meaningfully against highskillcapers

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Zoopshab, May 9, 2020.

1. adamts01

I agree with the problem, but not the solutions. The issue is headshots or go home, in a twitchy game with zero mstch maker. I think headshots are fine where they are, and body shots are fine, it's the resistances that apply to the body but not the head that are the problem. Remove nanoweave. Change the HA shield to something else. I think the ability to equip 2 suit slots and 3 implants would be a good compromise. Basically, make the headshot multiplier truly 2x, in line with the rest of the industry. Counting nanoweave and an overshield, PS2 has up to a 3.5x headshot multiplier. Then there's movement nonsense that doesn't work well with the servers. The shuffle and crouch spam specifically.
    • Up x 4
  2. Caesar_REDMIST

The issue of this game is NO tutorial for new players.

The game is VERY VERY difficult to understand for new players. It has become very complicated in years, adding stuff...
    • Up x 1
  3. VhynSeven

I don't think twerking headshot multiplier would help in any way,unless it get hammernerf to the ground and flip the bird to any skilled shooter. Be it x2, x1.5 or x1.2, people who can land headshots will still do more damage and kill faster.

Buffing Nanoweave wouldn't help either. I personally don't like how I feel like I have to give up on survivability just to get a bit of utility. But giving headshot resistance to Nanoweave would make it the only viable choice, as headshots are the only way to counter the Nanoweave advantage someone has against me.

Instead, why not add a damage restistance based of the player's BR? Something like 20% damage reduction for BR 1-10, then 10% for BR 11-15? That would give new players a bit of a breathing room while they learn the game, without the risk of being abused by experienced players.
  4. Twin Suns

Here we go. Just like I said. A watering down of the game.

Also, what the he// is abusive about being killed in a video game shooter? Where did that safe space shizzit come from?
  5. JibbaJabba

I guess I never felt this way.

I didn't really take the "get gud" route until the last few years. I played as a 1KD pleb for many years prior to that.

I never felt like I was outskilled. I mean I knew I was at times, but I could always do something about it.

If a guy can kill you 3v1, bring 4 people.
    Pull a max.
    Pull an LA.
    Just do a support class. A good medic can swing a battle.
    Play for the map not the deathmatch.
    Screw the 4kd heavy, hesh him in the face.
    Teamwork is OP no matter what.
    • Up x 4
  6. adamts01

That strategy was largely removed with the new spawn system.
  7. adamts01

I don't think it's that complicated. All a new player needs to know is they need to get good, and chain headshots. You learn that after your first day. No single other game on the market punishes body shots the way PS2 does. And most don't have the abuses of movement since they don't have 900 players per map.
  8. Clone117

If only we could fix or remove the stuff that basically turns ppl into freaking bullet dodging ninjas. Mobility op. Come to think of it nigh instantaneous muzzle velocity could both solve and create a few issues.
  9. Johannes Kaiser

Allowing for some movement makes sense (everyone should be abloe to fire while walking in one direction), but I'd agree with a punishment for changing directions and weapon altitude while firing. That would make strafing and crouch-spamming have the tradeoff of not being able to hit a barn. Because it's annoying as f*ch and looks absurd.
  10. brutes359

well they used to have a specific continant dedicated to new players in the past. but they got rid of that in favor of turning it into vr live fire training. certainly one of their more stupid decions. "hey guys. i have an idea. you know how new players hate being curbstomped by veterans and how first impressions controlls who stays and who leaves.....well what if....we make everyones first impression a flaming dumbster fire."

seriously though. first impressions are everything in games. you dont need a degree in tech development to know that. and never once did i or anyone i know ever think getting rid of koltyre as a safe zone was a good idea. throwing these guys to the ARX wolves will only drive your playerbase down in the long run.
  11. brutes359

I fully agree. Its particularly bad on console. Survivalist and athlete or sidewinder is all I see anymore on anyone. And when combined with ambusher jump-jets. C-4 spam AND the rocklet rifles. Every engagement is a skeet shoot with a shotgun equipped RPG. poor NC at this point is practically started a religion to RNG just to get a lucky head-shot or two in. and TR frozen pees shooters make it that even if you get one it doesnt change anything.

Also. to all your guys using the L2P argument here. Your expecting casual players to target a skinny spandex wearing ninja running a mock 4 in circles around them while hip-firing a laser accurate head-shot machine with the added bonus of a emergency escape button (ambushers) and optional suicide bomb if they cant get away....yea you guys need to really need to get down off your "Better than Though" high horses and remember you don't need to be a solid gold Rambo to enjoy this game.
  12. DarkStarAnubis

Focusing the discussion on the showdown part (A versus B opening fire) and discussing about HS multipliers hides the problem.

The outcome of many/most of the engagements is already defined before the players open fire: the more experienced player kills using surprise, positioning, situational awareness, base knowledge... Being proficient with the weapon (going ADS, bursting, handling recoil,...) is just cream on top of a very big cake created by years and years of experience.

You are not going to change that by altering either weapons or equipments characteristics.

If you want a matchmaking-like mechanism planetside is not for you. I am saying it kindly.
  13. That_One_Kane_Guy

Koltyr was a ghost town, a glorified waiting room for the overpop faction. You want to talk about first impressions? Try booting up the game for the first time expecting huge maps and hundreds of players only to get punted onto an empty, tiny map where if you're lucky maybe you run into some other poor sad sack who's just as clueless and have a little 1v1, or perhaps get strafed by a rookie pilot learning to fly who just got excited that he actually had something to shoot at.
  14. Blam320

Not entirely true. RedeploySide and Zerging are still huge problems that don't have good solutions.
  15. InexoraVC

WELCOME TO PLANETSIDE !!!

Becides the time spent playing and experience gained I think the main difference between newbie and the veteran player that effects the how-well-are-you-doing is the IMPLANTs section.
    New ( < 80 lvl) player has not all the necessary implants upgraded to level 5. The new player doesnt even know what implant does he need.
    And this leads to great advantage veteran player has over the newbie (becides aimin/movin/tactical thinking etc).
    Few examples:
    - Assimilate lvl 5 is required at least for HA and Infils. Because this game is about headshots.
    - Survivalist lvl 5 is required(or very recommended) for HA and LA
    - Ammo printer lvl 5 is required for Engineer tank driver
    - Safe fall at least lvl 4 is required for LA with ambusher jets
    and so on.
    That is why it would be great to give any new player ALL the implants for trial period (untill player gets BR 45) in the following way: 1 lvl 5 and 1 lvl 3 trial implants can be used in one loadout. Any combination of implants can be chosen. For example he can try Assimilate lvl5 and Survivalist lvl 3 or Survivalist lvl5 and Mobility Mesh lvl3 etc.

This will allow player to test maximized versions of implants before he gets BR 45 and choose and permanent upgrade what he is really needs.

The same logic can be applied to a few (2-3 not more) slots: Adrenaline shield, Nanoweawe armor, Cloaking.

Ideas to nerf headshots or lower headshot multiplier for vet players won't work: salty players will create a new character or even a new accounts. So any nerfs won't work for them and vets again and again will humilate new players.
    Like they are doing it now :)
    • Up x 1
  16. adamts01

I meant the ability to counter skill with numbers. If a midfit platoon drops on a point to capture it, the skill imbalance against most players is insane. The single solution is another midfit gal-dropping for a defense, as they can't spawn there, and randoms can't get numbers to the fight to match the power of attackers.
  17. Johannes Kaiser

I would even go a step further and give all the implants the meta made essential for free on character creation on top of your proposal. Because if the devs make something so important, least they can do is not hide it behind lootboxes.
    • Up x 1
  18. InexoraVC

Zerging is the aftermath of the latice system. There are always some bottlenecks on the map: the only way to capture/defend some bases is The Zerg. The examples: The Crown, Quartz Ridge, Crossroads etc etc.
    The solution is simple - remove the latice system, lets the fights spread over the whole empires bounds! It will not exclude zerging at all, but sgnifically decrease its effectiveness.
  19. Blam320

That was the system prior to the Lattice; people still zerged and on top of that whole continents would be rife with ghost caps.

Zerging isn't two equally-matched teams fighting; zerging is when you drop a platoon or more against 1-12 defenders. That's the kind of behavior I want to curb; I want the big platoons to actually fight each other, and not literally ignore each other in favor of brainlessly steamrolling a lattice that they know they can take uncontested due to sheer numbers.
  20. adamts01

Yeah, but how to do that? There are two problems. Zergs need that pop on hand because a midfit can drop at any second and over pop a fight out of nowhere. This is a redeployside problem. With double teaming, there's no repercussions for stacking a ton of pop on one lane, while ignoring the front of the faction not fighting you.

Battle flow problems revolve around redeployside, fights not continuing once a base is taken/lost, and doubleteaming. Fix all three of those and things will start to work.