Can the Harasser NOT be a light tank!!!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by karlooo, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Johannes Kaiser

Hm, that would limit it to AI only, being foor for everything else 8only chance being dodgy, but no real fighting back). That could work. If I had to decide that I'd put that on the test server and see how it goes, honestly. Worth a shot in any case.
    • Up x 1
  2. Peebuddy

I was so excited to hear about the tank traps & tactical sky shield, "FINALLY" I said to myself, we'll have something to keep suicidal vehicles and harrassers at bay! But no, they're tied to the dumb new outfit merit resource. It only makes the game needlessly convoluted, eliminates a dependable game play mechanic to a gimmick, something you occasionally see but has no real impact on tactics.

Could you imagine if the skyshield and the tank traps were regulated to the utility slots of engineers? They would be everywhere and would make life just a little bit more difficult for these harrasser drivers with a death wish. Instead regulated to the midfield where they belong as a "hit and run" type of vehicle, they were never meant to be able to blow in full frontal into the enemy spawn point and still somehow survive.

But as new toys to their brand new expansion I don't have high hopes that it'll be changed anytime in the foreseeable future.
    • Up x 2
  3. Zaros

You are an inexperienced prowler pilot. You, as a prowler with AP rounds and a gunner gunning a vulcan SHOULD NOT lose to a maggy in a frontal confrontation. At the very least, that maggy would've dealt at least half your prowler's health. If for some dumb reason your up in the mountains, trying to farm kills by bombarding a base and a maggy gets behind you and starts using such terrain to it's advantage, guess what, your very likely to lose that fight.

Numerous times before the maggy got buffed recently, the maggy has been deemed as a 2nd harasser. Even I dropped the maggy for the flash after they released Starfall for it. Flash with Starfall was a much better "Main Battle Tank" than the maggy itself. I would inform you on what I've seen some prowler pilots doing when fighting a strafing maggy, but that would just help you in the long run.
  4. shadowh4nd

It takes one bored person to blow up a base with a knife but three people in a timed effort to take down a harasser
    True to the name
    They should be high risk, high reward
    • Up x 4
  5. Demigan

Imagine an EMP mine that deactivates the engine for 6 seconds for example. The tank/Harasser can still shoot, use abilities etc but is suddenly unable to accelerate or decellerate, so it will simply roll to a stop. They would be great no-lethal utilities that could deal with a Harasser.

Other options could be "oil"slicks. Substances that stick to wheels and tracks and create an almost frictionless surface, causing the vehicle(s) that pass through to slip and lose control as long as it lasts.
    The opposite could also work: a chemical superglue. You break the surface tension of this chemical minefield and it instantly dries, stopping the vehicle in its tracks. It turns brittle in a second after which the vehicle breaks free.

Or if you've played Prey, the GlooGun could be awesome as a utility gun. Non-lethal, the more you spray the more constricted the target gets. At a critical mass it freezes up entirely. You could let shields break the Gloo, meaning infantry first loses their shields before slowing down and freezing up.

I would also give these to more classes than the Engineer. The Engi is already bloated with "well its a gadget so it needs to go to him" tools. The GlooGun could be a wonderful alternative to the Rocklet Rifle for example, or a perfect utility slot support tool for the Medic.
    • Up x 2
  6. Werkitten

Do you understand that you offer to strengthen magrider once again? Similarly, it has already been reinforced by anti-tank hedgehogs, which are an obstacle for everyone but it.
    • Up x 2
  7. Johannes Kaiser

Make the oil loaded with something that interfers with antigrav tech, and BOOM it affects everyone. Fair is fair.
    From a gameplay perspective, allow no exceptions, if needed make is specifically so that it targets the Maggie as well in case the thing has a general exception (wouldn't surprise me, tbh, that thing is a frigging floating exception personified).
    • Up x 1
  8. Demigan

Magriders have a ground effect to float, otherwise they would fly. When it passes over the slippery chemical it causes particles to rise into the air that mess up the Magrider's sensors, the stabilizers and threatens the integrity of the internal systems should it be taken in by the vents for the engine. The fans close temporarily causing the main engine to shut down for a moment. The Magrider's board computer doesnt want to use bad data and risk flipping the Magrider or slamming it against the ground so it locks up and only does minor adjustments, effectively reducing the maneuvering ability of the Magrider causing it to slide forwards on its remaining momentum.

The superglue chemical has a substance in it that the Magriders field reacts heavily with. As the ground effect aerosolizes the substance it causes the stabilizers of the Magrider to anchors itself in place.

That better?
    • Up x 1
  9. Danko

So basically we are talking about:

- Increase Nanites cost.
    - Decrease HP.
    - Remove repair from back seat.
    - Make changes to available weapons.

I think most likely if they decide to do somethings about would be HP and vehicle cost.
    • Up x 1
  10. brutes359

I fully agree with the original poster. A scout buggy engaging a fully fledged main battle tank is not only an irritation. its downright absurd. the vangaurd packs a 150 MM rail cannon and it takes three hits to down what is supposed the be a medium scout vehicle? the devs keep nerfing harasser weapons left and right but in the end the reality is the buggy itself is the problem. i dont care how overpowered a vulcan is post or pre nerf. if a MBT can one shot them, theyll think twice about engaging it at close range.
  11. Werkitten

Yes, but this way it will never be implemented, since it will take more than 10 seconds to develop.
    On the other hand, doing nothing requires significantly less time.
  12. Caesar_REDMIST

At least they could make impossible to repair the harasser while on the move, I mean the gunner moving to 3rd slot and repair while on the move. This to me is dirty
  13. McToast

Get a topgunner ffs. The Enforcer can oneclip a CA Harasser. If you're loosing a 2/2 MBT against a 2/3 Harasser you got seriously outplayed and outskilled, simple as that.
    As long as respawning is as fast and easy as it currently is, "scouting" and "transporting" don't mean ****. The Harasser NEEDS to have a combat role or nobody will pull them anymore.
  14. AK255

Yeah I'ma be honest if your having issues killing a harasser with a 2/2 mbt that's your fault. They can literally die in 2-3 volley of shots depending on which weapon. the next I don't see any issues with 1/2 mbt vs a harasser, as it can go either way.
  15. brutes359

And ill be honest in return. Your talking to a heavy main. I don't run main battle tanks often anymore. Mostly for that reason. But it is getting a bit ridiculous to see more scout buggies on the battlefields than tanks. On console at least. Do mostly to less advanced controls, maneuverability crushes firepower most of the time over here. That said, putting the "Skill is everything" out in the open is just a throwaway argument to try and shame someone into silence. But the fact this thread is here and has been a reoccurring complain since the games initial release AND has led to numerous nerfs of harasser weapons, speaks for itself on just how ridiculous these vehicles are.

As such the argument remains valid. Skill or no, scout buggies should not be outgunning MBT's on a regular basis, as they do right now. They are scout and harassment vehicles. meant for attacking unguarded sunderers. unprepared infantry positions, chasing down already wounded vehicles, and light anti air duty. How do i know this? because that typically what scout vehicles are designed for. Also main battle tanks have a 5 second reload timer per shot. I'll shot your skill argument right back on that alone. If the harasser your fighting in an MBT cant escape in the time it takes you to load your third shot. Then he is a garbage driver.
  16. brutes359

They DO have a combat role. But that role currently is not the role it should be filling. As a harassment vehicle. it should be going after the wounded. lighter infantry positions. single or small groups of aircraft. lone or small groups of infantry and undefended sunderers. I can see the argument if the MBT is surrounded by two or three of them. That's a wolf-pack tactic and relies on teamwork and coordination to work. But never should they expect a victory 1 on 1 with a tank. If you think they should. then Icounter argue tanks should be cheep enough to spam as much as harassers are. If you think that's absurd. Then I will say its just as absurd that harassers can fill the role tanks can at nearly 30% the price.

And lastly for all of you who are poised and ready to say "go play them yourself" I have and do. A fully upgraded Mjolnir harasser I use on average to bully prowlers and mag riders. I usually manage to kill at least 2 or three per attack run before retreating to repair. But being able to abuse that power doesn't change my opinion. And no number of L2P posts will change my mind. These are meant by name and design to be harassment and scout vehicles. Not anti-armor berserkers.

Oh yea. Before you say no one would pull them if they're health was changed. I see plenty of grenade launcher flashes running about right now. They seem to be doing just fine.
  17. AK255

My apologies if I made it seem like shutting down the conversation.
    That being said I believe there should be a balance between all vehicle and it should definitely be fair. Meaning vehicle shouldn't be limit to their role and play style. I do not play on console but on PC, so I do not know any information regarding console. Also console should not be compared to PC there 2 different style of gameplay.

One of the big issues is skill between veterans and new player. Skill should definitely be mentioned here as there is a huge gap between veterans and new player. Instead of a ranking system where people fight at appropriate skill levels, everyone is placed on the same playing field. You stated that you are a heavy main. With the amount of harasser nerf I'm sure there is a process of natural selection. There's probably more skilled player encounter. That being said you saying mbt usually get repeatedly killed by harasser yet a heavy main as well as you stating " you don't run mbt anymore" It doesn't show me you have a lot of experience. From my side of view their like paper vehicles waiting for me to kill. I have no issues taking out a harasser 99% time if it's 1v1, however if it's more than 1 its a different story. Teamwork involving harasser is another story. (Teamwork is OP)

Harasser exploit situations at the right time and place that takes a lot of situational awareness. Exploiting is OP when faced against.

Also you should play vehicle more cause learning is a process even now and then. Learn to learn and overcome why they were able to kill you. Instead of ranting on their OP and not improving your's like there's nothing I can do against it, you won't make any progress. Learn to think outside of the box like what can I do better? Aiming? Vehicle placement, situational awareness, radar map, continent map population.

BTW I haven't played PS2 for 2 months but I'm pretty sure the reload of a mbt is definitely not 5seconds. like less than 4 seconds depending on which weapon. Unless they changed it recently. Someone quote me on that pls.
  18. Demigan

The problem is that it takes less skill and effort to outplay when using a Harasser. It might take one magazine or 7 seconds to kill a Harasser with an Enforcer, but with 300m/s muzzle velocity and the Harasser being smaller, faster and easier to fire on the move your accuracy will not be 100%. On top of that any Harasser worth anything will activate Fire Suppression-->now it cant be killed by one clip. They will also use rumble repairs, making it able to tank even more. And many will have equipped CA anyway so your point about a non-CA Harasser is mute.

The Harasser has a combat role, and it always had a combat role. At one point however (before its last sudden buff) the Harasser had a reasonable amount of health: it took 3 to 4 shots with a main canon, then the Harasser was dead (unless you really missed a lot). This was a time that the only thing people complained about was the Vulcan Harasser (which still performs a litteral 3x better than the other two factions).

Here are the current facts:
    The Harasser is too cheap to have this much firepower, agility to dodge and this much health. Enemy vehicles cannot escape it and have to rely on chewing through a vehicle's health that is smaller, faster and can tank as much damage as an MBT can if theyacan drive like a maniac without crashing ("dont drive straight for things").

So something has to go. Firepower? Nah. Its speed and agility? Nah. Its cost? If it were more expensive it could be less of a suicide buggy, but the fun and carelessness of "lets try this" is part of the charm and should be given to more vehicles and infantry. What is left is reducing the health and rumble repairs to their old values, which were great, and no one asked for buffs for the Harasser then.
    • Up x 1
  19. McToast

MBTs have more health in the rear than the Harasser has from all sides. MBTs have access to all the Harasser guns (sometimes even an upgraded version) + a maingun. Depending on the situation, they have about twice the firepower. An MBT can kill a Harasser in two volleys, he needs several in return. Yes, Harassers going at full speed through bumpy terrain are very hard to hit, but guess what; it's also very hard for him to hit you while bumping around at full speed. If the Harasser gunner can nail you under these conditions while you keep missing, it's simply a skill disparity. And no, pulling heavy armor should not be an autowin against lighter armored targets. You have a definite advantage, if you can't utililise it, that's your problem.
  20. TRspy007