[Suggestion] Building is... Eh

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by shadowh4nd, May 17, 2020.

1. shadowh4nd

This is probably just a gripe. But, you'll hear someone's perspective. I've played on and off since beta. I came back to try construction, thinking it'd be neat. Construction is a cool concept but it just doesn't really have a place in PS2. Orbital strikes do, but not bases.

So you want to build a base? Choose your outcome:
    1. Your base gets demolished once you place a silo down because you built too close to the zerg.
    2. You tried to build safely by predicting a fight to occur, which doesn't, so nothing happens.
    3. One random infil spends hours destroying your base completely alone. You can spend that hour trying to find and kill him, but he'll just return. You can ignore him, but he'll continue destroying it.
    4. Harassers find you and decide to effectively spawn camp your ant. Nothing on the ant kills a single harasser, so you could spawn something else to fight it, but then you're not mining either.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, or how to fix it that'd be "balanced". But for now, it's a cool idea and a time sink. The only reasonable thing to build is the silo and OS, but you need a bit of luck and very early placement so the good spots aren't already taken.

As is, the construction system just needs... QoL adjustments. Even if slightly nerfing orbital strikes was the cost (I personally think they're a nice meta change though), the rest of the construction experience needs the TLC.
    • Up x 1
  2. Johannes Kaiser

Add #5: You build a base on one of the 1-minute-territories. 20 minutes later a squad of enemies decide to run around your base with whatever floats their boat, completely ignoring the fact they are wasting howevermuch nanites to take our something that is completely irrelevant to them, as the base before it is currently save on your faction's hands. However, being tunnel-visioned small-minds, they continue attacking with Harrassers, MBTs, aircraft, spawn beacons, stealth flashes and so on for about 45 minutes until they succeed in taking out the base. Then they build their own one there, still oblivious to the sheer pointlessness.

True story, by the way. :D
    • Up x 2
  3. TR5L4Y3R

raising a base/outpost needs to take less time, as well as the territory were to be able to build needs to be increased (specifically close to lattice outposts and corebases

more importantly though imo it should be possible to transfer cortium or baseassets that were not destroyed in combat to other territory allowing to descrease the time needed to fortify new territory .. imagine the capabilities of a pioneersquad that way ...
    not to forget, bases need some of their introdcutonary resilience back

and imho, rather than the OS it should be the silo, that is the corestructure (and commandcenter/conyard if you will) of any base, that should go nuclear on destruction .. maybe add to that to be overload- but also shieldableable like old hives ...
    • Up x 1
  4. DemonicTreerat

And let a deployed ANT function as a mini-silo for neighboring construction. That way if we want just, for example, put up a quick AA turret & modules, Flail base, or a garage plus modules for a sunderer we can.
    • Up x 1
  5. Danko

My usual feelings about construction has been very much like yours so far, it has always felt lacking and even disappointing.

I used to build a Silo, some walls, spawn tube and a router spire very deep into safe territory and then go with my router to set it in the fight I have in mind. That can become very time consuming and sometimes fight has already move on, I get killed before setting up the router, or anything else. In some cases I have to decide whether to start the process all over again or do something else.

However lately, I've been playing it a little different, with a more fast paced way of play, I set only the necessary buildings very close to the fight and that way I get into action faster.

While doing this in several ocassions the fight has ended up around my base, and the spwan tube, walls, turrets, bunker, router have become the stuff that allowed my allies get a place to counter attack and even turn the tide of a the battle and get back to the offensive.

Also several times we ended up just killed and the stuff blown up, but whether it became a successful strategy or not it has been so much more fun this way than my usual way to play with construction.

What I mean with all this is Construction does not have to be as stationary as many of us have been playing it so far, bases can be built fast and then become a force multiplier to reinforce an attack or counter attack.
    • Up x 1
  6. MichaelMoen

If you build your base somewhere in the line of a push or retreat you can effectively force your faction to spawn and fight at your base if pushed forward or back from a point. That's most easily done by just building directly on a road between outposts. A roadblock base ensures that a fight will come to you, especially if you build down the road from a failed defense and the enemy pushed to the next outpost that's past you. The least you can hope for is your base delays them as they spend the next five+ minutes blowing up your base. Best case, a bunch of friendlies come to your base and that becomes the new front line. Bonus points if others start filling your silo for you.

Flails are pointless since fights move too quickly and you can't target areas at or near capture points. Orbitals can but draw too much attention and now that Outfits can just call down strikes willy nilly, have fun defending against that.
  7. shadowh4nd

You'd think they're getting certs for it. I had a guy farm me with a harasser, taunting me with /yell, even brought a friend with a shield sundy to deploy. My base was deep before the front line and I was just testing out my new building.
    ... Good... job?

Oh my god PLEASE. I made a base yesterday and the welder, which seems glitched for me into randomly firing, deconstructed my ore silo at a 90 degree arc from my character. The silo was nearly full, I had a friend helping fill it. All that time just gone
  8. Johannes Kaiser

Welll, we were 6 people and it was more them that died than us, the base was at that point fully operational and manned (we didn't get a chance to lave after we were finished, as they came in pretty much as the last structure went online). So they didn't really earn much; sure, a kill here or there, but they died more than they killed. Which makes their efforts even more pointless.