Increased incentive for Outfits have made Solo play more annoying

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MichaelMoen, May 12, 2020.

1. Johannes Kaiser

When it comes to teamplay, another important thing is this (if we assume ingame channels of communication work): Often people don't want to take orders/advice from some other guy. They thing - and sometimes even say - "why the heck should I listen to you?". Well, the anwer is obviously "because otherwise noone coordinates anything, so if you'd shut your pie-hole and try working with others we might have a way better chance at winning", but enough people simply don't care for that. And that's why a lot of leaders have given up on it. I have led teams consisting to 90-100% of randoms in EC. Successfully, I might add. Every single game that people listened turned into a victory, and always one that felt earned after a difficult fight, and we all knew we'd have lost otherwise. But you know how many games that was? Two. Out of about 20 where I tried coordinating. In the other 18 the majority of players didn't listen, and some actively told me to shut up.
    So sorry if that sounds negative, but I'm a bit of a burned child when it comes to random coordination. If they join the squad (more often enough we have it open), they show they are willing to work together, but everyone else is - usually by their own choice - out for themselves.
    In a magical world where everyone would see the inherent advantage in listening to someone who tries to lead and make sense, I'd sign up in an instant. That would be amazing. But sadly this world isn't that one, and a lot of people are egoistic, too inexperienced, dense or simply dumb.
  2. Demigan

We both have our own opinion on how this should work out, but because I dont change mine and try to stick by it, its suddenly "my way or the highway"? You realize you are doing thenexact same thing right?

I'm pointing out a major flaw in the current design philosophy: it segregates players where they are actually trying to create teamwork. You even confirm this with the voice comms problems to people not in your TS. And isnt it strange that "your" teamplay actively segregates players from one another? That means its teamplay for only a select few people who are in your PSO or your Teamspeak/Discord. Your mantra would be "teamplay for just these few seperate groups and not between them".

The goal I have is to show how bad the current design philosophy is. My goal is NOT to remove PSO's, but I feel we have reached a point where the only way to show people how bad they are is to remove PSO's in their entirety until they have a proper teamplay groundwork down. Case in point: look at the resistance you put up at the mere idea that "your" teamplay isnt doing what you think it does.

I'll repeat it again: If it isnt necessary to remove them that is far better. PSO's should remain, and PSO's are important to build on the existing teamplay and cooperation. But they are absolutely not the teamplay itself and should never have been put forwards as the teamplay itself. I two random PSO's meet, they should also be able to seamlessly work together with the same ease as two randoms. That is what I want.
  3. TRspy007

Very true. That doesn't even just apply to booting people out of vehicles, basically everything an outfit does is isolated from the rest of the faction. Examples:

• Dropping a nuke(s) without warning ANYONE that they are doing so.
    • Coordinating a push/gal drop without announcing anything to the rest of the faction in that hex.
    • Bastions.
    • Defending/capturing bases. There's no teamwork beyond the people in that platoon/outfit, the sole goal is to capture that base with the outfit and defend only the bases the outfit owns/needs.
    • I've seen some medics/engineers only support their team. Some only rez/heal the guys in their squad, at times randoms pull MAXes to join to the platoon's MAX teams, and not a single engineer decides to repair them.
    It's really weird, there's team-play involved - but only on an outfit scale.
  4. pnkdth

What?

A quote from my first reply,
    "I see no reason why we need to remove a fundamental aspect of teamwork when we could just as easily work on ways to implement both on-the-fly co-op between players with a solid outfit system. These systems should facilitate each other, not be mutually exclusive."
  5. Demigan

I already edited that part of my response.

And yes, you dont see a reason not to. But I do. I see a reason because SPO play is NOT fundamental to teamplay. It is an important extention of teamplay that most definitely enhances a game's enjoyment factor many times, but without the groundwork of co-op it is a hollow shell and its current iteration causes more problems than it helps the game. As long as people only accept SPO's as teamplay the game will never get the teamplay and cooperation that would make it better for everyone, including the SPO's. Therefore if nothing will change otherwise: remove the SPO's until things do change and the game goes on track to where it should be.