[Suggestion] PETITION TO REMOVE ORBITAL STRIKES

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TRspy007, May 14, 2020.

1. TRspy007

^^^

How many would agree the game was better without them?
    • Up x 5
  2. The Shady Engineer

Sure was.

They were annoying when you had put some work in and farm Cortium to get them, now it's just silly. Playing on prime time Indar is a nightmare with Ti getting shelled non-stop to the point I get terrible server performance as far away as Dahaka.

I hope outfit OS gets removed but realistically the only nerf they're gonna get is only having 1 OS (instead of 2 currently) per outfit and maybe increase time or resources required to craft them. Not ideal but an okay band aid solution.
    • Up x 3
  3. zelekk

Quick tip leav ti and you will see only tacatical ( not saying all used cerrectly) and very little out of spite oses.
    Most OSs on ti is from builders doing directive for fancy ant
    • Up x 1
  4. Irishfist

No, they need to be a lot more expensive, and do a lot more damage.
  5. TRspy007

If that's the case, they would only benefit zergfits even more.
    • Up x 1
  6. BrbImAFK

Honestly, I never had much problem with Construction OS's. If they got obnoxious enough, you could always go destroy their base.

You can do *nothing* about the outfit OS's, and they can be fired far more often. One of Planetside's iconic moments "the last second save" is now a thing of the past, 'cause any capture that's under threat just ends up with the last 30s-45s being protected by "defensive OS's".

I'm fine with the construction ones. There should be *some* benefit to it, after all! :p But Outfit OS's need to go. Or become a damned sight more expensive! I would even consider some sort of timer lockout to limit the number used. A sort of "the satellite is still recharging... please wait..." system.
    • Up x 2
  7. SilentDrone

8. ChUnKiFieR

It's a battle and excitement ender for sure alright. Just when things get going good. Fun's over! Wonder whose brainchild idea that was?
    • Up x 2
  9. InexoraVC

I love Orbital Strikes. They bring some fresh air :)
  10. Liewec123

so the tip to avoid OS ruining the good fight,
    leave the good fight, GREAT! XD

unless you're at the north base (those guys really get farmed hard) the fight at the mid of indar can be the most fun in this game,
    but these days its constantly ruined by spam orbital, construction and escalation.

OS ruins the gamer, its not alone in ruining the game, but its one of the biggest offenders,

routers are pretty much pointless now-a-days.
    spend time pulling an ant, farming cortium, setting up a silo and relay so you can grab a router,
    then redeploy with an ESF, fly back to your base, pull the router, fly to the fight, find a super safe strategic place for the router,
    BOOM its dead instantly because some dude right clicked the mini map.

also one of the most frustrating parts is how OS still oneshots maxes.
    the devs fixed it so OS would no longer kill standard infantry indoors,
    but the unit you spend 450 resources to pull? INSTADEATH.
    and half of the time it was a freaking ally dropping the OS.
    [IMG]
    its mindless farmer crap and needs removing.
    • Up x 1
  11. shadowh4nd

Guess I'll be a terrible person by suggesting that they STAY, but get changed:
    1. You must reach x number of kills within x minutes in order to activate it.
    2. However, you keep the OS tool even after death.
    3. Range of OS tower increased to 1000m.

Why do I suggest this? I find construction quite goofy and difficult to manage. Contruction isn't OP, orbitals are. I think putting a kill requirement (makes it like call of duty, but) makes it so that players have to actively participate and do well in order to call such powerful game-changers into play.

tl;dr keep them because Planetside 2 is a game that, by design, struggles with stagnation
  12. TRspy007

The the thing though. Have you ever seen a single orbital strike actually impact the flow of battle? Basically everyone falls back on each side to try to avoid it, and then by the time it's over the lines are still exactly the same, we've just got a few dead MAXes and players on each side that were too late/low on health to survive. It doesn't actually break stagnation, because it kills equally on each side, and most of the time they aren't even used with the intent of improving battle-flow.

Only thing I can think of is them just killing routers (95% of the time it's a friendly that nukes his friendlies router(s). Which could have been a role easily fulfilled by a glaive or something without totally crapping on the fight.

Same with bastions, they don't enhance or do anything for a fight - most of the time they are used in big fights where the player's faction isn't even present - in the hopes of farming easy kills. Pretty silly.

You also focused on construction orbitals but not the war asset ones.
  13. Werkitten

In its current form, the orbital strike looks like a hastily made thing that was not thought through properly and the developers themselves have a bad idea why they introduced it.
    This is not an element of technological warfare, but more like a spell. Just a big Bang coming out of nowhere.

The idea of bombing from a long distance is not a bad idea, on the contrary. But it must be either artillery that is on the same map and can be destroyed, or cruise missiles that can be shot down in flight, or find and destroy the equipment that launches them.
    In this case, it would really expand the tactical component, there will be a sense in intelligence and sabotage outside the front line.
    Artillery someone must serve and guard, this is also an additional role for players.
    • Up x 1
  14. Johannes Kaiser

I have seen some amazing thigns being done with OS.
    For example, we were defending Mani Fortress against an overpop of VS. I announced an OS to the east middle, and placed it 5 sec later (giving a bit of retreat time), and another person placed one in response in the west middle, effectively cutting the base in half. That allowed us to retake the point last seecond with what I think was about a 70/30 pop ratio. That was amazing cooperation that saved the day (for a while) in defiance of total pop imbalance. I don't think either of us actually got that amazing amount of kills, but the breathing room was absolutely needed.
    • Up x 1
  15. TRspy007

Props to you and the other guy, but I'm sure we can agree that that is a really rare scenario? Otherwise I guess every fight on every server I've just been unlucky and encountered complete idiots in charge of these.

I'd think the better solution would be to decrease the incentive to over-pop, throw better map flow, resource/xp/merit reductions; instead of adding tools that few players will use as desperate measures to delay a zerg from a base capture, maybe find "better"ways to reduce choke points, zergs - without relying on the intelligence/cooperation of players.
    • Up x 1
  16. BorgUK1of9

When the likes of Berjess outlook start getting Outfit Orbital Strikes on INDAR then you gotta question what the DEVS are thinking. So many good little fights ruined because the bigger outfits have OS on tap.

Needs cost to use them doubling or tripling.
  17. TRspy007

If the devs raise resource cost what is that going to do for the large outfits?

They get their resources full by just ghost capping the continent anyways.

It would just make orbitals even more exclusive to zergfits.
    • Up x 1
  18. zelekk

Ye exactly leav ti becouse its neaver good fight its door meatgrinder. Go create some fights in other bases or what ever you will have better time then shooting doors.
  19. Trebb

I don't know why the dev team insists on more A2G (Bastion, OS is arguably A2G spam), but here it is. Enemy using tactics with routers and well placed beacons? LOL FREEE ORBITAL STRIKE, all gone. We're still seeing 3,4, sometimes 5 or more at fights.

Make them special and rare again. Or keep shiatting on fights, who knows....
  20. Twitch760

I'd be more on board with empire specific OS's.

TR get a small tactical nuke that applies a DOT mechanic in the effected area for a set amount of time. People in vehicles are unaffected.
    VS get the OS as it exists right now applying an EMP type effect making deployables not function for a set amount of time.
    NC get a kinetic type weapon think "Rods from God". This one can penetrate buildings but has a much smaller blast radius.
    • Up x 3