NS colossus....

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ican'taim, Apr 29, 2020.

1. ican'taim

...is going to be a war asset that can only be pulled from a Tech Plant or Warpgate.
    • Will be an "anti-baston"
    • Will be fueled by cortium
    • Will seat five, everyone gets a gun.
    • When deployed, the gun will have zero bullet drop.
    • Main cannon will not do more damage than an MBT.

Thoughts?
  2. AgentRed

I wonder if people are going to use it for anti Construction. They also didnt state if it had a timer or what it will cost to pull it.
  3. Werkitten

Given the remarkable physics of collisions in this game, I think the main question will be "can a flash strike throw it into the BioLAB".
    • Up x 1
  4. Liewec123

Is this a request or a PSA? do you have a link to source?

I'm already so done with "outfit wars" giving zergfits OP crap to farm harder with.
    So if ever colossus does get added it better not be tied to this crappy system.

Edit: nvm, I see The Bane of Planetside in this picture so it's probably true that it's another zergfit reward.
    Joy...
    [IMG]
    • Up x 2
  5. Pikachu

Upgraded vanguard. :D Looks like the gunner hatch goes directly into the gun breech.

I made the other faction's versions.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 3
  6. Johannes Kaiser

IT'S DA BEENBLEEDE!
  7. Werkitten

Since the hatch is positioned this way, can we expect its cannon to use soldiers as projectiles?
    • Up x 3
  8. Johannes Kaiser

Maybe it's just the model, but it looks like the main cannon has 0 elevation/depression. If that would for some reason turn out to be the case, how the heck would it be able to do its job?
  9. McToast

Doesn't look too bad, but I fear it will be too slow and cumbersome. Sure, at release it will be slightly OP, but I'm sure people will return to the smaller tanks after a round of nerfs.

I'd rather have a slightly smaller siege tank: Just slightly bigger/slower than MBTs with a dedicated driver, a main gunner (turret) and two secondary gunner (sideturrets).
    [IMG]

Maybe put the side turrets a bit more to the front so both gunners have more than a 180° FoV and can engage targets that are in front of the tank simultaneously.
    • Up x 3
  10. Johannes Kaiser

Oh, gimme a Pred and I'll die a happy man. Alas, it will likely not see the light of day on Auraxis. :(
  11. Pikachu

Hey stop making me wish for a good Warhammer 40000 combined arms game. :mad:
    • Up x 4
  12. Demigan

I already forsee a big problem with its design: its (probably) too high. This is especially true if the turret is the same scale as the one's in techplants.

Any base with a vehicle gate would prevent this monstrosity from moving there. I wouldnt be surprised if it was so fat that many Hossin area's would similarily prevent it from passing through.

That hatch position is NC only. It's design is to increase the amount of hits on enemy vehicles while not impacting the TPM (Teamkills per Minute).
    • Up x 1
  13. RblDiver

From their recap post, the claim is it's intended more as an anti-air (specifically, anti-bastion) tank.
    • Up x 1
  14. Peebuddy

While I am glad to have something designed specifically to kill bastions is added to the game I KNOW things never pan out the way developers imagine it would. I easily foresee these just being used to just shell bases and distant armor columns and just ignoring bastions unless one flies over head. The teaser vids I viewed of its gun looked like it had a knockback effect for the shell and a force field powered by cortium, yea that's not going to be abused at all daybreak!

Also hurray for more outfit assets that will never be pulled by 99.9% of the population
    • Up x 3
  15. Blam320

The Colossus super-heavy tank is, indeed tied to the War Asset system. From teases some time back, it's aimed to be a cheaper alternative to the Bastion, for smaller outfits to project their power. In its default state it's essentially a large MBT; it's slow, heavily armored, and has four secondary turret slots in addition to the main cannon, which isn't much more powerful than a standard MBT cannon. The four secondary turrets are customizable, with planned weapons including variants of the Basilisk, Kobalt, and Hyena missile pods.

However, it has also been designed with Anti-Bastion capabilities in mind: it has the ability to deploy itself like a Prowler, which basically converts it into a skill-based AA platform, trading movement and the ability for the main gun to look down enough to fire on ground vehicles for a Cortium-powered dome shield, extra projectile velocity, extra main gun elevation, and piercing projectiles that can damage Bastion softpoints. While deployed, the main cannon deals damage back to the Colossus when fired, which also has a slight charge-up delay. Outside of being deployed the Colossus also has an ability called "MAD," which gives the main gun the deployed state's high-velocity piercing projectiles for a short time.
  16. Demigan

It's going to be ludicrously hard to get a Bastion kill though. You can pierce things, so theoretically you can pierce the Bastion and hit the topside weakspots. But the problem is that you have to deploy and allow the Mauler Canons to get going on top of your face (and can the Bastion move while firing those?). The Cortium shield we saw in the teaser was depleted by 3(?) carbine magazines (maybe it wasn't topped up?).

I don't care about war assets. They are debilitating to the game as long as they aren't available to non-outfit players, squads, platoons or between inter-outfit play. The whole point of teamwork is that it can be done with anyone, not just the zerglings you chose to ally yourself with. Which for the lionshare of the population seems to be the case. Why can't two small outfits pool their resources together and pull a Bastion? Why can't a non-outfit member collect resources, join a squad and pool those resources with the other members in order to pull a Colossus?

Make teamplay for everyone.
    • Up x 6
  17. Johannes Kaiser

While the idea is nice, I assume that wasn't done because those solutions would be temporary ones, whereas the existing outfit is a permanent one. And it makes admittedly more sense to tie permenent resources to a permanent basis.
    And even small outfits can get sh*t done. Living the dream. And overall, while I too dislike the obvious advantage zergfits have over anyone and everything else, this is a game best enjoyed in company. Get a few friends playing (or make new ones in game), create an outfit and have at it. We sure did.
    If anyone here plays Miller NC and wants to run along in our tiny squad for funsies, add me ingame. Name is WermanSpicer (yes, dumb name, I know...I blame past me). We don't bite (even when asked to), promise. :)
  18. Liewec123

yup, tying it to the stupid outfit war thing means that these things won't be hunting the bastions,
    because it is only available to the people with the outfit resources to can pull it, AKA the zergfits themselves.
    so now the zergfits will be farming us with spam orbital strikes AND bastions AND colossus tanks...

Wrelside is getting less and less enjoyable every patch
    every patch it seems that our Youtuber lead developer gives zergfits something new to ruin fights with.

content for the rest of us? nope, finishing unfinished junk like NSO? nope,
    focus all effort on adding overpowered fight ruining crap that only zergfits can obtain.
    • Up x 3
  19. Werkitten

To be honest, the further you go, the less you want to go into the game. If you're not in a big outfit, it doesn't have the resources. If you are a member of a large outfit, then you farm resources for others, since only the command staff will use them.
    This does not affect while the impact of resources is small, but the further the more it is and it turns out that everything is done for a negligible percentage of players, regardless of whether they are in a large outfit.

There is a way to add a huge tank with a big gun that will not break the balance of the game if it is available to everyone.
    Instead of an enlarged version of the vanguard, it can be self-propelled artillery. We connect an existing ion cannon in construction with a tracked chassis. Aiming through the installation of a beacon will make it helpless against tanks, but this technique will be useful in command interaction.
    • Up x 1
  20. Blam320

Wow, everyone talking about Zergfits being the only people who can summon Bastions clearly never saw my outfit pull it's first Bastion. We barely have enough active members to fill a single squad at one time, and we were lucky to get anywhere near a decent-sized platoon for our first Bastion op. We summoned it and successfully defended it for the entire duration it was active, all while over active combat zones. We had some air support from random members of a few other, unaffiliated outfits, but for the most part it was all us.

So no, War Assets aren't a "Zergfit Only" tool, and I'm very glad Rogue Planet Games has decided to give more incentive for people to play with their outfits, and to actually socialize and group up in an MMOFPS. I get that solo players might feel left out, but as with another game I play, Sea of Thieves, the Solo option is not the intended way to play. I get letting solo players have access to real basic tools, like ANVILs, maybe even Citadel shields, but I do like the fact that War Assets are primarily geared towards adding some depth to Outfits.
    • Up x 1