OSHUR?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by elkikko92, Apr 26, 2020.

1. elkikko92

Oshur is still in development?
  2. TRspy007

From what I've heard they put it aside a while back. Another one of the devs failed promises I suppose.

I guess they prefer adding stuff that kills fights rather than add more maps.
    • Up x 1
  3. ZDarkShadowsZ

I'm still waiting for Nexus, nevermind anything else.

• Up x 1
  4. AgentRed

Last time they answered the question on the live stream they said oshur is a no sure or no sir XD
    • Up x 1
  5. Caesar_REDMIST

Due to Covid 19 everything is slowly developed I suppose.
  6. Demigan

What do you hope to achieve with new continents?

New continents would still suffer from the same bad battle flow. The same problems with zergs. The same problems with frontline movement.

On top of that the new continents could easily become the new Hossin. It would spread player preferences even more causing players to leave at continents they would stick with now and considering that Oshur was said at one point to be an air-oriented continent (as if Hossin wasnt enough) it would automatically fail due to the horrible way air is balanced. An unbalance once again proven with the release of air vehicle numero uno the BFC and the way this nukes the fun out of battles.
    • Up x 2
  7. TRspy007

At this point we just want new maps to fight on. Hossin is unfinished, and they cancelled Oshur to give us some recycled PSA garbage and fight killing machines

Really, Oshur would just allow for an extra refreshing map to play on, especially with continents rotating so fast.

Planetside 1 had over 20 continents if I remember correctly. It's pretty pathetic we only have 3 1/2 (Hossin is not finished). There's other more important priorities, but if the devs are going to ignore them anyway to release this sort of trash, they might as well just focus on making new maps. It'll be less detrimental.
    • Up x 1
  8. elkikko92

I think the problem is the entire capture system of the game: same battles on a few territories.
    Also, having battles in little outposts is not fun: please remove or merge with other outposts.
    • Up x 1
  9. Peebuddy

People ask why a new map, what's that going to do?

Well this game has been around for 7 years, lots of mistakes were made in base design and map flow. A completely new continent, not a patched mess that Indar is, would allow the devs to show us just how much they've learned over the years and cobble together a balanced well laid out place to fight. It's is simply something that has to be done from the ground up, simply patching bases on current continents won't do it, Oshur could be Rogue Planets masterpiece after years of hard lessons.
    • Up x 1
  10. TRspy007

Exactly. I'm sure a proper map that actually generates fun fights and creates some sort of engaging battle flow would have attracted just as many players, and maybe kept them around for longer. Instead of adding more cancerous air and fight killing spam.

People want fights, the game is meant to bring fights, and instead of working with that idea, they just keep adding things that go against it.

I was so excited for Oshur when they said it was coming fall 2019, even though it wasn't my first pick out of all the continents we had on Planetside 1. For some reason I actually believed what they said, and they cancelled it just to bring a pretty poor update.
  11. Demigan

Ok so what kind of continent design would stop the problems of:

- a stale frontline that doesnt move.
    - a frontline that moves when the defenders are discouraged to defend it (against zergs, base layout that favors attackers, too many bases to defend at once giving attackers free reign)
    - bad balance requiring walls to segregate vehicles and infantry
    - unfun gameplay for A2G where they are either uncontested or feel incapable of doing anything
    - capping the continent not being pursued by a playerbase that just prefers big never-ending fights.
    - how large facilities create zergs ater they are finally captured until the next large facility.

These devs should have an idea right? But many players should have that idea by now too as they've been involved longer in the game than many devs. And I'm sure that the devs, who have never touched the northwestern Esamir warpgate area for example to improve the unfavorable battle-flow, would suddenly be able to fix all that just with the extremely time consuming and large task of designing a continent and its individual bases to compliment a good continuous flow?
    • Up x 1
  12. Caesar_REDMIST

Would be nice to have a continent where there is NO AIR, like underground, using only sunderers. Would be nice to move from REDEPLOYSIDE 2.

To have something different.

Would be nice like an urban mega city.

Or vanu forgotten city.

Anyway they should make another continent for sure but it must be of the highest quality.
    • Up x 1
  13. TRspy007

Now THAT would be really interesting, especially for lore. Maybe just make a desolation map that's bigger with the forgotten city underground/whatever.

Sounds pretty cool, too bad that's not the devs focus :(
  14. Peebuddy

You're right, there are a lot of us who've been here way longer than the current devs of planetside. But with each new generation of content creators should come with their plan on fixing battle flow. You can't have a team go "We have no idea how to fix it, we give up. Here's a giant flying fight ending carrier"

My thoughts on tackling some of those issues you've mentioned:
    -A combination of a lattice system and hex, you'd have lattice links into small pockets of hexes for some wiggle room while still directing people toward each other
    -no more insanely hard to take bases on the boarder of each factions territory, I'm talking 3 point tower fights, no more biolabs on the boarder, and no more fortress places dead center of the map like the crown or the accent. IMO tough bases should be reserved closer to ones warpgate, the center of the map should flow relatively easily and not creat a giant zerg as you put it once they're taken. The zerg should gradually form as they approach a warpgate.
    -More base objectives, we have them for gate shields and SCUs why not a generator for a built in skyshield? Not on every base mind you but for those aforementioned bases closer to the warpgate. The assets are already in game, it wouldn't be difficult to jerry rig one to a generator for the dev team.
    -PMB cap locations in actual defensible locations, not the flat suicidal ground flanked by hills on all sides. I would even take a slight hill, just something to deny a height advantage from vehicle HESH bastards.
    - And just for funnsies, I think continents should have "mutations" while fighting on them. Each time the continent is up a random "mutation" should be applied to the continent which can range from simple price reductions on lightings to increased light assault jetpack tanks to removing class weapon type restrictions. All sorts of fun could be had and each continent unlock would offer a different experience.
    • Up x 3
  15. elkikko92

Agree!! Actual lattice system is no good: ibrid system should be a nice idea. Maybe add also a resource system: actually taking a base (big or little) don't give you anything, that is a problem!
    More base objectives: yes , agree!

Planetside 2 have big potential, but is extremely difficult creates a good gameplay-system.
    It's important to discuss on forum and plan the basics of a good gameplay.
    • Up x 1
  16. TRspy007

This lattice system was meant to be a temporary fix when it was implemented. It was supposed to be a transition to a new system, but the devs for some weird reason never got to it.

I guess we get OS spam and bastions instead? Hooray
    • Up x 1
  17. elkikko92

Lets discuss which is the best capture system for you, combined with a solid resource system?
    How to avoid the problem of actual lattice system: same battles on the same territories, never having a battle in the territories near the warpgates.
    Finally: every outpost have few objectives, how to increase the complexity of base?
    • Up x 1
  18. TRspy007

I think the hybrid hex system would be the best way to go, at least as another "temporary" replacement for this cancer.

As for resources, give the top 3 outfits a tick from the captured base, and reward outfits who defend bases by giving them ticks of that resource too. And then bring back the 5 auraxium players got for helping cap a base, just increase the amount/resource type they get based on their overall score generated from that base cap.

I'll link a few videos for the spawn/battleflow that have a very similar idea to what I would have in mind, but would explain it far better:

19. elkikko92

lets discuss here: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps...ice-is-not-fun-we-want-something-else.254288/