I think it’s time....a talk about launchers

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by TRspy007, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Demigan

I understand what you mean but we have to be consistent. Bolters and the headshot-meta in general need to be dialed down rather than the rest dialed up just to match it. Its not that people arent allowed to be rewarded for skillful play, but PS2's gunplay offers a lot of skills to be learned that should be rewarded as well rather than be vastly inferior to everything else. Rocketlaunchers need to fit in there too.

On one hand yes rocketlaunchers cannot be spammed like a bolt, but if they can OHK with just a bodyshot it becomes a lot more lucrative to just throw cheap shots downrange in the hopes of scoring hits. It might not be fired fast but if there's 20 people able and willing to do it in a fight that makes a lot more rockets and impact on the fight than one CQC bolter.

Voidwell works relatively well:
    https://voidwell.com/ps2/oracle?sta...05966&startDate=2016-07-07&endDate=2020-04-13

Some days the Deci see's as much use as all 3 starter launchers, some days as much as 2/3rd of all starter launchers combined. Since the Deci is NS and combines all 3 weapons it means that the starter launchers see the most use but Deci's arent far behind.
    • Up x 1
  2. TRspy007

If they make launchers bad against infantry, they should buff them against vehicles.

I would enjoy if my kraken could 1hk composite armor esfs, and if the dumbfires could 1hk normal esfs.

Also they should fix the kill tracking since rockets don't 1hk. I feel they should make empty vehicles count as launcher kills, since half the time the dude bails.
    • Up x 1
  3. Demigan

I wouldnt keep rockets bad against infantry, I would change how they are good against infantry. If they cause concussion effects for example. Or secondary charges that have additional effects. Think of dealing less damage with the primary warhead but then a bunch of bomblets burst out and deal further damage against the target and surrounding infantry? Or it releases a short DOT effect on the area of impact? Or it releases a napalm like fuel thar sticks to the target who will receive DOT but will also deal damage to surrounding players with that same DOT?

I think all rocketlaunchers should at minimum cause problems for aircraft in flight. A light concussive effect, or causing the aircraft to suddenly bank away from the impact for a second, possibly causing it to crash? The annibilator should definitely OHK ESF but upon hitting a Lib it should also cause it problems.
    • Up x 1
  4. Dead Trolls

either they need to fix launchers or just lower the requierd kills for or add ground/air assists to kills
  5. focart

i agree about the buff of launchers. I think, they are fine, when it comes to counter of light and main tanks, however, they are very weak against harassers (which is broken and over powered right now), flashes, liberators and galaxies.
    2 hits kill for a flash is just insane, especially for a such fast and more importantly invisible target.
    Both, flashes and harassers are way too fast for a slowly flying rocket and damage is not enough to make heavies a threat for either vehicle driver.
  6. blackboemmel

I try.

I'd also guess that TR soldiers use the Striker more often than the Decimator.
    :p
  7. NotziMad

Not sure how old these stats are, but the page was "last changed on December 2016 so they are pretty old.

Still, you might find them usefull :

http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/items/weapons

[IMG] [IMG] NS Decimator 50560 no category Rocket launcher 5,778 4.6 ± 1.5 7.9 ± 3 61% ± 7.7% 2.1% ± 1.2% 37 ± 18 16 ± 10 551 ± 672 485 ± 601 1.137 1.361

[IMG] T2 Striker 34002 no category Rocket launcher 1,843 45 ± 15.9 89 ± 39.5 52.6% ± 9.4% 0.9% ± 0.9% 12 ± 6 11 ± 5 206 ± 229 370 ± 473 0.557 0.77

It would seem the Decimator is used 3 times more than the striker? Of course, if you consider that only the TR can use the striker, it's obviously not a reliable information.

However, to get a "wild guess", you might take the Decimator figures and divide them by 3? That would provide a more realistic angle. In this case, the result is that the Decimator is slightly more used (4% more?).

But once again, that isn't really realistic either so what you'd really have to do, if you wanted to "try" (wink wink) is find a statistic that showed how many TR used the striker and how many TR used the decimator.
  8. TRspy007

As a TR main, I can assure you the only time we might switch the the garbage striker is if we're having a hard time shooting air with the decimator. Sure, might surprise a few new pilots when they suddenly see 5 lock ons, but if you want a chance of killing anything, you gotta use the decimator.

So I'm not sure why you're trying to argue about it, the facts are every heavy with some self respect uses the decimator, 99.99% of the time. Why are you even trying to argue this? It's simply common sense people go for stuff that is useful to them. The point of the game is to get kills, if only the decimator can still do that post nerf, that's all people will use.
    • Up x 2
  9. NotziMad

Yeah, personally, the only time I've ever NOT used the decimator was in the case of a annoying ESF in the distance (or harrasser) in which case I switch to lock on.

But the rest of the time, even when I play TR, I'm 100% decimator, it's just so much better (particularly because it's useful also against infantry ((((*cough* annoying infiltrators *cough*)))))
    • Up x 2
  10. TRspy007

exactly, it's able to come clutch way more often than the other launchers. Even at ranges past the lock on, I can usually 1hk a guy in his esf getting too cocky from hundreds of meters away and maybe scare a lib, with a single well placed shot. Although sometimes they're running composite in which case... :(
  11. Demigan

Accordig to that graph the striker is used about 1/3rd of the time the basic TR launcher is used.
  12. Talthos

How about just making it so that dumbfire-capable launchers can only 1-shot at very short ranges? Like, maybe it could one-shot an infantry target that was 5 meters away, tops (aka, damage falloff, but only against infantry targets).

Any further away, and it stops one-shotting infantry, period.

That way, there's still some measure of risk involved in attempting 1-shot kills on infantry targets (you'd be getting into 'closer than buckshot' range), while making the launcher directive 'doable in a reasonable amount of time' again.
  13. Vonwolf

When i played through alpha and beta in the game. Rockets were in an interesting place when it came to damage. Then after the game released and you started to pelt enemy vehicles, it felt like MBTs could eat rockets all day. Hell, 1 engineer is able to repair a tank faster than the amount of damage a rocket could deal at the time.

When they announced the first lock on vehicle and lock on aircraft individual rockets. Litterally EVERYONE bounced over to them. Then when the decimator was launched. Everyone threw down their old rockets for a launcher that promised kills. It would 1HK infantry and it made vehicles regret their camping missions very quickly.

Later on the Annihilator came out. A rocket launcher able to lock onto both ground and air. Everyone dropped the Deci and went for the Annihilator for a short while.

When rockets were finally nerfed and vehicles gained damage resistance buffs to increases survivalist, that is when everyone whipped out the Deci again. It was the only launcher worth its weigh in damage. The only other rocket in comparsion is the Phoenix(Its extremely situational) and the Swarm just because it was able to push away enemy Harassers or ESF's.

Players will just jump ship when a specific launcher becomes more effective which is the Deci as the primary dumb fire. and then the swarm or Masamune.
    • Up x 1
  14. TheMercator

I remember the times where two rockets to the back of a tank where enough to set it on fire xD

And now a single rocket isn't even enough to kill an ESF if you are able to hit them...
    • Up x 2
  15. Boosted24v

I 100% with out any question or argument think rocket launchers should 1-shot all infantry except max, and maybe HA if he has overshield up, but should still severely hurt them. The launchers were meant to combat tanks and armored vehicles and no infantry has the armor of a sundy or tank so yes they should get blown into bits. But only with a direct hit. Alternatively as a few weapons have become more versatile with abilities we could make Rocket launchers much like Godsaw for example has AP rounds that dmg armored targets that are less effective to infantry, and than regular rounds that'll kill infantry but cant hurt armor. A launcher could have AT rounds that offer no real explosive effect, direct hit would 1-shot infantry but no AoE, primary role is Anti-tank. A secondary function could be HE rockets that do little to nothing vs armor and less direct dmg over-all but inflict splash dmg similar to a hand thrown grenade.

In-terms of the lock-on launchers I think a slight damage buff, 800-850 maybe, but the thing they really need is a range buff if nothing else. AA guns and launchers are virtually useless against high flying targets while liberators can still rain hell on bases from above. Also with the introduction of bastions, infantry suffer the most with the shells raining down on them but yet virtually useless in the fight against them. increasing AA-Lock on, infantry could aid in shooting down enemy aircraft supporting the bastion while friendly aircraft engage it.
  16. brutes359

I agree with this thread. rocket launchers have a nicer reload speed now. This is true. But the loss in damage makes the alpha strike or ambush tactics that infantry usually are helpful for a pointless gesture. vehicles can simply reposition. Only Hossin seems to favor them anymore. Me and my friends don't even bother avoiding them anymore in a Valkyrie. By the time they launch the second one. the engineers already patched the damage. its an embarrassment really. but i think its a side affect of the whole "Heavies are OP Garbage" trend going on right now.....even though light assaults now outclass them in both Anti-Infantry AND Anti-Vehicle thanks to the rocklet launcher and ambushes jump jets.
  17. NotziMad

yup, 2 decimator hit a lib, lib was dead .. good time :'(
    • Up x 1