[Suggestion] Market the game on Playstation 5 and the new Xbox

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AntDX316, Apr 14, 2020.

1. AntDX316

If the coronavirus doesn't cripple the world forever and Planetside 2 can still operate, this would be well-known to show to the world of it running but I'm not sure about marketing. If too many free players show up it could cost more money, lag, and queue times to an already working great game.

It just cost too much money to cert or daybreak to buy things. That needs a rework.
  2. Twin Suns

It's delusional to think PSN customers would want to play DBG's graphically out dated game on their new system. Especially regarding DBG's track record of ghosting PSN customers concerning updates, fixes and their disingenuous loot box (implant packs).

I won't let their products on my PS5. Bet.
    • Up x 3
  3. ZDarkShadowsZ

I'm not really sure how it would cost money to cert, considering those things are free. You don't need DC to buy everything. You don't pay for suit slots with DC. You don't have to pay for weapons with DC. You don't have to buy implant packs with DC. DC just means you get access to things faster than others, but it doesn't mean they're not accessible to everyone.

In addition, the things that are exclusive to DC, they're often cosmetics which have little affect on the battlefield. Many weapons are just reskinned versions that do exactly the same as those you can purchase with certs. You know. For free. Without actually paying a penny.

They even give away boosts now in exchange for Merit. Due to the way boosts continue to be used even when they're not actually playing, I actually like the 30-minute boosts. If I use a 1-day boost, realistically I'm going to get a max of 5, maybe 6 hours out of it if I push hard enough to play. That's a lot of hours from that 1-day boost I'm not actually using. Plus if you're smart about how you use them, you can really maximise your cert gain. Use them during 2x XP events, play during an alert when your faction is underpopped and in a large facility fight such as a biolab and you'll be swimming in certs in no time. You know. For free. Without paying a penny.

The one thing I would say that needs a rework are the implants. The implants themselves are ok to a degree, but the system itself in how they're acquired is terrible. Even if you do spend maybe 15k certs on a bunch of duluxe implant packs, it doesn't guarantee a single exceptional. The other day I got Carapace out of the ISO recycler, and although the chance of getting one from there is higher, it's taken me a very long time to get 4 exceptionals, and of those 4, one was a duplicate.

Further, I agree with Twin Suns. PS4 users have already been neglected a lot. Every time a new PC update comes out, sometimes it can be weeks, even months before they get it. Even then, the update may have to be adjusted to the hardware capabilities of the PS4.
    • Up x 2
  4. TRspy007

Not sure console pop is what keeps this game running. Otherwise the devs would have created more PS4 servers and started focusing more on PS4 updates over PC, or at least releasing them for both in a fairly similar time-frame.

Consoles are a joke anyways, especially for a game like Planetside 2 that's extremely demanding, even the newest rigs struggle. Plus add that to all the mechanics, there's just no way this game is going to appeal to the console playerbase, and it's simply not meant to be played on console anyways.
    • Up x 2
  5. Twin Suns

I stopped playing PS2 on the PC when they brought in construction.

But the main reason I chose to play on console is there's no hackers and its simplicity. All I had to do was turn it on and play, never having to worry about system requirements and upgrades. Pretty much a level playing field.

The more I played the more I realized, it's o.k. not being "Doug the Shooter". <--- pepperidge farm remembers.:)

o7
  6. AntDX316

PS5 and the new Xbox would be designed for the future. That is where tons of money are made. It's not just a number increase to 200%. Sometimes new versions can be say 1000% better.
  7. Novidian

Having an established FTP game at launch would be HUGE. There won't be a lot of titles on either system until year one or two. The amount of people who would play early on would be pretty high, I think, even with backwards compatibility. Just make them cross play with PC and provide account transfers for PS4 users. It's time to move on and stop dangling carrots to PS4 users.
  8. Talthos

They are unlikely to ever consider this idea seriously, especially since the PS4 port already eats up valuable development resources that would have been better spent on the PC version.

And considering the state of the spaghetti code, any hardware improvements in the PS5 and/or new Xbox, will rapidly become irrelevant with future patches (we can already see this with the PC version; despite the large advances in hardware capabilities between 2012 and 2020, performance as a whole has actually worsened in many ways).

Also, the current population of the PS4 port, is less than 10% of what the PC version currently has. And it's still dwindling further; its profitability is nearing its end, and it's likely that they'll pull the plug on the PS4 port sooner than later, at this point.

Best case scenario? They'll offer one-way character transfers for the remaining PS4 players, so they can move their characters to a PC server of their choice.
    • Up x 1
  9. Twin Suns

Dont drink the kool-aid. There's already pushback from PSN and XBoxlive customers that are avoiding those cross platform games. Mainly where the Master Race is involved. ;). The common ground is we don't like the baggage that the PC Master Race comes with...HACKERS.

As far as character transfers? It's really delusional to think that we'll buy some expensive PC, just to play a single graphically outdated game on the PC. Never mind jumping through rings of fire just trying to get the game to work properly on said expensive PC. Bwahahahaha.
  10. Novidian

I would welcome the transfer option, honestly. PS4 will inevitably die and I'm tired of only getting half the content of PC.

Hell, I would literally pay 1,000-1500 DBC to do it. That's how desperately I want to abandon the console ship.
    • Up x 1
  11. ColMeeburGascon

Agreed this is a great idea. Although we don't know what the PS5 launch lineup looks like yet, there is a growing sentiment that delays could happen in the games. So that creates an opportunity for a game like Planetside 2. People will still buy PS5 in anticipation of new games and PS4 games running better. Other than COD, there is no shooter expected in the fall that would compete with Planetside 2. There are over 110 million PS4's sold, with a PS5 launch coming up. There aren't many MMO's on PlayStation, and recent games like Battlefield V and other live service games have been launching broken or otherwise in a bad state. The opportunity and player base is there for a game like Planetside 2.

Yes the PS4 community has dwindled, but lets be real. There hasn't been any real reason for them to stay. PS4 isn't getting the major content updates PC has gotten, and here Escalation arrives and is not on PS4. I've played on PS4 since the beta, and the community was very large the first couple of years. But not much has happened since launch. There's plenty that would return to the game for an update like Escalation.
  12. TRspy007

Ignoring the comment about the debatable escalation update, there's a few flaws in what you're pointing out.

You'll notice the trend with console shooters is that they are simple, favor quick and "fair" engagements, which is why battle royale has exploded thanks to console players. Most of the people playing console don't wanna to worry about building an epic rig and investing in "new"games. The average console user is a person who wants to quickly hop on, with a match or two, hop out.

They don't want to worry about logistics, learning new mechanics and much less their rig's performance. You'll notice this is why most (if not all) of the games targeting console users are just "updated" versions of the previous game. New maps, new character looks, maybe a new weapon ability, but nothing crazy different that would take a lot of experience for players to learn.

Think about your first performance on console vs your first performance on PC. Usually the skill ceiling in PC games is much higher, and for players coming from a Fortnite, COD or even battlefield background, how do you expect them to handle Planetside 2's mechanics? Most of them have never had to deal with leading targets, much less bloom, first shot multipliers, head-shot multipliers, 1hk weapons, damage drop-offs, horizontal tolerance, bizarre recoil angles and weapon mechanics - and that's just the shooting mechanics.

Now add coms, abilities, implants, vehicles, construction, resources, tool slots and the sheer huge grind that new players must go through. It's just a nightmare for the average joe who bought his 400$ console so he could play a quick game between coming home from work and dinner, or the the kid who wants to brag about how many matches he won before his parents told him to work on his schoolwork. Most console players want a familiar game that looks finished, with little grinding that gives quick "meaningful" victories. Planetside 2 brings none of that. What "victories" do you achieve in Planetside 2? Lock a continent? Unlock a directive weapon that's worse than the things you used to get it? Yeah don't get me wrong, I've had epic moments, I still enjoy the game for the most part, and I'm not ready to quit, but I also have to admit there's not really "rewards" for the game, simply due to it's nature. It's not very appealing in that regard to most players.

Then there's the problem of actually fitting all of Planetside 2's content into PS4. The'res way less room for keybinding, and everything needs to be reworked to fit into the controller. There aren't nearly enough buttons to fit half of the keybindings needed, they would have to build a new controller uniquely for Planetside 2. Simply with the keybindings, it's impossible to fit the game into the console.

And then we get into the real problem: console specs. Planetside 2 is the only MMO FPS. The closest thing to it would be Battlefield 5, which had 128 players per map (64 per side). In Planetside 2, you can have double or even triple that at times, with multiple taking place at a time. The engine needs to be able to render a 96+ gal drop even during a tiny 12 v 12 fight. For PC, the engines have been complete trash, even more noticeable with the temporary spike of players from escalation.

As for how PCs handle it...comparing consoles and PCs is like comparing apples and oranges. I'll just mention that even the newest and most beefed up rigs have trouble dealing with this game at times, and these are complete top of the line monsters designed by people who live on gaming. Now how long would it take for a console to burst into a ball of flames? They usually lack proper cooling, and don't pack components meant to handle very demanding tasks for long. I'm pretty sure you guys that play the basic Planetside 2 on PS4 can testify, even after half an hour of playing rainbow six siege my PS4 sounded louder than my PC and was burning hot. Just imagine trying to run such an unstable and demanding game on console. Even if they could run Planetside 2 without blowing up, the game would still be an unstable experience, with fps drops, bugs and lat spikes left and right. Again, not what most console players want to see.

Finally, there's the fact that they have already tested Planetside 2 on PS4. When it released on PS4, the game had incorporated as many of the PC features it could, and asides from keybindings and a few things here and there, the experience was almost as close as it could have gotten to the PC version. At it's best, the PS4 version counted for a tenth of the playerbase. For the reasons I mentioned above and more, the (majority) of the console playerbase isn't interested in a game like Planetside 2. By simply trying to brink back a bit of the PC players that quit, the game would receive a larger influx of players than the entire PS4 playerbase. From a marketing standpoint it's simply not worth it.

A game like Planetside Arena would have been more adapted for console. Unfortunately, as I mentioned, it's something unfamiliar, poorly implemented and had very little hope for success. How many COD and Fifa games have they made? You're releasing something new that's competing against the same games people have bought for years. Unless you do a really great job and manage to incorporate something familiar and enhance the experience the majority of console players are looking for, you have no chance. That's the problem with Planetside 2. Even if consoles could handle it, the game screams unfinished, and in the end doesn't even provide an experience the majority of people who buy a console look for.

I'm not trying to diminish the contribution of consoles, or make all of people who use console seem inferior, but I'm asking you guys to be realistic. To say there will be huge spikes in pop, and throw delusional fractions like 1000% increases is more than overstating the little potential the game had on console. I hope you 're able to see this from another point of view, I'm sure it sucks to not be able to play your favorite game on console, but we both need to admit it was nothing more than a publicity stunt in the first place.

Now, it's important to remember that DBG's strategy is to charge headfirst into a wall. I wouldn't even be surprised if they launched the game on PS5, simply because that would be a very foolish thing to do. I doubt they'll consider Xbox, because keep in mind they have a partnership with Sony, which is why it was a PS4 exclusive release. Even if for some reason they take the unreasonable step of launching the game to the next gen consoles, there's a fat chance it'll include stuff from construction or even escalation. I hope I've explained a bit more clearly why consoles haven't been a priority, and that I haven't just crushed your dreams.

My best recommendation would be to buy a PC. Personally I've had a lot more fun on PC than with the recent consoles, I find that gamecube and Nintendo64 were the ones I enjoyed the most. This year is a very good year to buy PCs, with some highly anticipated arrivals. If you're like me and you can no longer game on a desktop for now, you're lucky, because some laptops are able to run really well with great temps. I'd really consider looking into Asus and Lenovo as the go to brands for pre-built desktops and laptops. Hopefully you'll find something that can run Planetside 2 at a price you'll like.

I'll assume that because you are using a console, you have a certain budget or simply don't game religiously. You are "forced" to switch your consoles every few years and buy new (expensive) games along with them, if Planetside 2 isn't the only game you own. A great computer can last 5+ years, especially Asus is known for having good build and specs. I would calculate how much you spent in that time-frame replacing your console and games/accessories. I'm pretty sure you could buy a top of the notch rig with that amount. Also, for most educational paths and professions, you'll at least need a laptop. Why not ditch the console and go for a gaming beast that can double up as a workstation? It's also pretty hard to "outdate" a PC, you can replace parts, the operating system, etc. I'm not a PC vendor or anything, and I'm sure you've already considered this, but I'll restate that the most interesting choice if you want to play games like Planetside 2 is a PC.

Apologies for the wall of text, I got carried away :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  13. ColMeeburGascon

I'm sorry, but your post is full of completely incorrect assumptions from start to finish. You talk like console gamers are mobile phone gamers. lol I don't think you know much about the PS4 gaming community. I own a gaming PC and have since the mid-90s. If Planetside 2 didn't come to PS4, I probably wouldn't have ever played it. As much as I like this game, its not the game most gamers are putting a PC rig together for. So the fact it's on PS4 has brought the game a lot more exposure than you want to admit.

As I said, Planetside 2 had a quite large community on PS4 for the first year or two, but you can't just let a game sit there on console with no new content and expect to keep players around. This game sat on PS4 for years with no meaningful updates. Everyone was convinced Daybreak had abandoned the game completely until a couple years ago. Meanwhile, console gamers get a lot of new content thrown at them all year long. On PS4, that includes a vast exclusive library full of games. These aren't quick jump in and out games. They are large narrative driven games that can easily take 60-100 hours to finish. The MMO's that do come to consoles typically do well, but its also the ones that keep fresh content coming...DCUO, Warframe, Final Fantasy XIV, etc.

All of these battle royale games you mentioned keep content flowing. Shooters like COD and Battlefield typically keep content coming, with the exception of BFV which dropped the ball on that. They lost most of their players too, some to older titles like BF1 and BF4. And by the way, battle royale hit big on PC long before it took over console space. So I don't know where you get the idea they target consoles. It started with Daybreak's own H1Z1 as I recall, then PUBG showed up and Fortnite added its BR mode. PUBG didn't come to console until years after it was popular on PC. And BR doesn't automatically ensure success as you mentioned with Planetside Arena. BFV's Firestorm never took off with its community and had empty lobbies within weeks. Overwatch and Rainbow Six Siege are more examples of games also popular on PC that regularly provide new content for consoles and PC.

That's the theme...keep the content coming. It keeps your game fresh in the player's minds. If they launch Planetside 2 on PS5 with the Escalation update and the intent to keep it inline with PC, then it has a high chance of success. Outfit Wars is exactly the kind of thing PS4 and PS5 players will go for. A rebranding will put it on the front of the PS Store, keep the content flowing, and advertise major updates on PS Blog.
  14. Twin Suns

Smoke and mirrors rebranding, PS v2.2. On a PS5??? Delusional kind sir. No DEV even plays the PS4 version. ;)
    It's gonna be very hard to fix the reputation of ghosting PSN customers.

o7
  15. TRspy007

Sigh. As I mentioned, I said the majority, not all. I know there's some really competitive players who are glued to their console 24/7, although I would assume there are less hardcore console players than PC players. But that's not the point, I was explaining that the game targets a different audience.

You see, games that take 100 hours to finish on console is nothing when you compare the months/years it can take to finish some PC games (or not). And these games are not a majority on console, it simply validates that the audience wants faster paced games, for the reason(s) I explained. The whole point of releasing refreshes of the same game every year on console is because the game is "quick" to finish.

Yes, Planetside 2 in PS4 attracted new players. To say it didn't is an understatement, to say it attracted many is overstating. At it's best PS4 accounted for a tenth of the Planetside 2 player-base. Not negligible in itself, but then recall that the PC game had already lost a significant amount of it's players. This doesn't really prioritize PS4 expansion over trying to take back some of the lost playerbase, which far out-pops the one gained by marketing to console.

Furthermore, at launch, games attract attention. But after a few days/weeks of playing the flaws become more obvious, players leave. As you validate, console players want content at a faster pace. Even if the dev team had the resources to dedicate to the PS4 community, the content would have never come out at a fast enough pace to interest the playerbase.

I didn't say being a BR was a success recipe for console, but it's a genre that fits the bill for what the majority of the playerbase is asking. I didn't mean to offend any console users, most of my friends play PS4/Xbox instead of PC. But you can't deny that both playerbases have different needs. Otherwise there wouldn't be 2 different playerbases.

Planetside 2 for the reasons I mentioned and more, simply doesn't offer anything for the console community, it barely does anymore for PC!
    • Up x 1
  16. Marik

Important: Since my English is not the best and I used an online translator and I don't know if everything is correct, everything below is in my native language.

I make you look like an ***. You can say that as much as your friends have a PS4 or something.
    Likewise I can say I don't make fun of electricians because one of my friends is also an electrician. And yet, to me, electricians are cable hags.

First, let me name a few bucks. Important: because I live in the EU, I concentrate on that. I don't care how it looks like on the US servers.

According to ps2.fisu.pw/ there were 8333 players on all PC servers (https://ps2.fisu.pw/population?world=0) in July 2015 and an average of 3110.
    And the average of Eu Server Miller(https://ps2.fisu.pw/population?world=10) was 681 and Cobalt(https://ps2.fisu.pw/population?world=13) was 681.
    And for Ceres (https://ps4eu.ps2.fisu.pw/population/?world=2000) the average was 764.

So if we now go to the DX-11 update:
    By August 2019, the average player population on Ceres has shrunk to about 130 players.
    In contrast, the Eu Server Miller had about 360 players and Cobalt had about 320 players.
    So you can shove your ****** 10% up your ***. When you say **** like that, give me numbers and sources. And not with feelings.
    I admit that the top players were only about 1/3 of what the Eu servers reach.

So until DSX-11 the difference was limited. And since Escalation the number is rising again. And Corona also drives players to PS2. But I leave that out, because I don't think that's a statement.

I'm just someone from the building industry, maybe I don't understand higher mathematics and stuff, but the PS4 offshoots were not that bad. If this would have been only 10%, even DBG would probably have closed the servers.
    I have to disappoint you even more: for such an old game on PSN, the game is still quite busy. There are F2P games that are younger and almost extinct.

The real reason why the number of players is decreasing, especially in the PS4 versions, is not so much that players want something different, but rather that they want something different:
    - before DX-11 the game crashed all the time.
    If you played about 2 hours before that, it could be that you could expect up to 5 crashes.
    - serious performance problems before my time (end of 2018)
    Here I can only tell what others tell me, but is said to have been even worse. And for whatever reason DBG was very slow to fix them, so more went.
    - no clear Outlook
    I don't know what it looked like at that time, but I guess there was no real perspective on bit conquest at first.
    - Hardly any content updates
    They've been waiting years for a new card or something. Here you also have to deal with the same problems as with the PC, which is why the numbers have fallen.
    - Construction and escalation in particular
    This is about the flap policy of RPG. Yes RPG not DBG.
    When they built it on the PS4 servers, there were performance issues that were the reason they left it alone. Yes DBG was halfway there. In return RPG promises to bring it. But always delete the tweets that come with it, e.g. Nothing official. They're holding a carrot in our face. There are many who disagree with this policy and that's why they left.
    - lack of communication
    Also a rather general topic, but you can see what the developers used this forum for. Just to post the update history. If they ever get in touch or something, it's more on Reddit.

And last but not least:
    THE GAME IS NOT BEGINNER FRIENDLY
    There are still new players coming, but how many remain? I don't know.
    But I reckon less than 10% when I see my experience with newcomers to the PS4 community. That only leaves about one in ten. Here are the reasons they told me:
    - overwhelmed because the game doesn't explain anything
    - too few vehicles, which came from sandbox games where there were more
    - many people find the constant "capture and hold" a bit annoying
    - they just don't like it, PS2 is just not for everyone

So: and down here everything is now again in my mother tongue. As I said I don't know if everything was translated correctly.

-----------------------------------------

Bei mir kommst du wie ein ***** rüber. Da kannst du noch so sehr sagen wie das deine Freunde ne PS4 oder so haben.
    Genauso kann ich sagen ich mache nicht über Elektriker lustig, weil eine Freundin auch Elektriker ist. Und trotzdem sind Elektriker für mich Kabelschlampen.

Erstmal nenne ich mal ein paar zahlen. Wichtig: da ich in der EU lebe, konzentriere ich auch jetzt auch eher darauf. Mir ist es gerade auch egal wie es auf den US Servern aussieht.

Laut ps2.fisu.pw/ gab 2015 auf allen PC Server (https://ps2.fisu.pw/population?world=0) im Juli 2015 8333 Spieler und im Schnitt 3110.
    Und der Schnitt der Eu Server Miller(https://ps2.fisu.pw/population?world=10) lag bei 681 und bei Cobalt(https://ps2.fisu.pw/population?world=13) waren es 681.
    Und bei Ceres (https://ps4eu.ps2.fisu.pw/population/?world=2000) waren es 764.

So wenn wir jetzt mal zum DX-11 Update gehen:
    Bis August 2019 ist die durchschnittliche Spielerschaft auf Ceres auf etwa 130 Spieler zusammen geschrumpft.
    Dagegen standen die Eu Server Miller bei etwa 360 Spieler und Cobalt bei etwa 320 Spieler.

Also deine scheiß 10% kannst du dir in den ***** schieben. Wenn du so ne scheiße aussprichst, dann komm mit Zahlen und Quellen. Und nicht mit Gefühlen.
    Ich geben aber zu der Spielerspitzen lag etwa nur etwa 1/3 von dem was die Eu Server erreichen.

Also bis DSX-11 hielt sich der unterschied in Grenzen. Und seit Escalation steigt die Zahl auch wieder. Und Corona treibt ebenfalls Spieler zu PS2. Aber das lasse ich außen vor, da ich das jetzt nicht für Aussage kräftig halte.

Ich bin nur jemand vom Bau, vielleicht versteh nichts von höherer Mathematik und so, aber so schlecht waren die PS4 Ableger nun auch wieder nicht. Wären das echt nur 10% gewesen, hätte selbst DBG wohl wahrscheinlich die Server geschlossen.

Ich muss dich noch mehr enttäuschen: für ein so altes Spiel im PSN ist das spiel noch immer recht belebt. Es gibt F2P Spiele die Jünger sind und schon so gut wie ausgestorben sind.

Der wahre Grund warum die Spielerzahlen immer weiter sinken, besonders bei den PS4 Versionen liegen weniger darin das die Spieler was anderes wollen sondern eher daran:

- vor DX-11 stürzte das Spiel ständig ab.
    Wenn man davor sagen wir etwa 2 Stunden spielte, konnte es durch aus sein, das man mit bis zu 5 Abstürzte rechnen konnte.
    - gravierende Performance Probleme vor meiner Zeit (Ende 2018)
    Hier kann ich nur das Erzählen, was andere mir erzählen, aber soll noch schlimmer gewesen sein. Und aus welchen Gründen auch immer hat DBG diese nur sehr langsam behoben, weswegen noch mehr gegangen sind.
    - keine klare Aussicht
    Ich weiß nicht wie es damals aussah, aber es gab wohl anfangs keine richtige Perspektive zur Gebisseroberung.
    - Kaum Inhaltsupdates
    Seit wie Jahren wartet man auf neue Karte oder so. Hier hat man auch mit den selben Problemen wie dem PC zu tun, weswegen auch da die Zahlen gesunken sind.
    - Konstruktion und Eskalation im Speziellem
    Hierbei geht es um die Lasche Politik von RPG. Ja RPG nicht DBG.
    Als sie Konstruktion auf den PS4 Servern kam es wohl zu Performance Einbrüchen weswegen sie das gelassen hatten. Ja DBG stand halbwegs dazu. Dagegen verspricht RPG ja, das sie es bringen wollen. Aber löschen immer Tweets die dazu z.B. Es kommt nichts offizielles. Man hält uns quasi ne Karotte vors Gesicht. Es gibt viele, die mit dieser Politik nicht einverstanden sind und deswegen auch gegangen sind.
    - fehlenden Kommunikation
    Auch ein eher allgemeines Thema, aber man sieht ja zu was die Entwickler dieses Forum nutzten. Nur um den Update verlauf zu posten. Wenn die sich mal melden oder so, dann ist auch eher auf Reddit.

Und zu guter letzt:

DAS SPIEL IST NICHT EINSTEIGERFREUNDLICH

Es kommen noch immer neue Spieler, aber wie viele bleiben? Keinen Ahnung.
    Aber ich rechne mit weniger als 10% wenn ich meine Erfahrung mit Neulingen in der PS4 Community sehe. Da bleibt nur etwa jeder zehnte. Hier mal die Gründe die man mir genannt hat:

- überfordert, weil das Spiel nichts erklärt
    - zu wenig Fahrzeuge, die kamen aus Sandbox Spielen, wo es mehr gab
    - viele Empfinden das andauernde „Capture and hold“ als etwas nervig
    - es gefällt ihnen einfach nicht, PS2 ist halt nichts für jeden
  17. AntDX316

I just think the way the Certs and Daybreak items are setup needs a Massive rework.

All the payable items should be divisible by $1-2 or $2.50 to make it easy. The A7 items are kind of a joke and the Outfit Merit store is also less than smart. Super old items costing thousands of merit?
  18. TRspy007

You'll apologize, I can't really make out more than a few words in German. I can talk to you in French/Arabic if that's easier.

There's really no need to get emotional here. I get it, you enjoy playing on PS4, but you have to face the facts.

You're comparing the population of 2 PC servers to the 1 PS4 server. You left out 3 PC servers. I'm saying overall, the PS4 pop never accounted for more that 10%, give or take.

Doesn't really make much sense to compare only 2 PC servers, when there's 5. If you calculate the total pop of all the PC servers combined, you'll understand my point.
    • Up x 1
  19. Marik

If I understand your argument correctly, are you telling me that just because something attracted (but failed to retain) millions of players in the USA, it automatically looks the same in the rest of the world?
    If that's your argument, then it's LOW. Every continent, every country has its own cultural background and different social acceptances.

For example: In America, the land of unlimited possibilities, weapons are widespread, but woe betide alcohol. A harmless fairy tale like Little Red Riding Hood is forbidden there and that only because the little one only brings her grandma wine.
    On the other hand, there is a lack of understanding in Europe regarding this weaponry.
    So if you really believe that just because something works like in country A it will look the same on the rest of the globe, then this will lead to nothing.

I have to agree with the creator, that with over 100 million consoles sold, this is a very big market. Add to that the fact that only one part of a game like Planetside is playing. And many are not permanent gamers.

To your argument: yes a PC is more powerful. True you are right, but unfortunately it's like this: only a fraction of them really use a PC to play games, because many of them live outside. And many have to economize with their money. So let's think about it: 400 quid for a console can be saved up faster than say 1500, although for the latter you could go on holiday as a couple, or depending on the destination country, even for the whole family.
    Apart from a few economic problems that I don't want to go into.

But consoles also have advantages: the uniform hardware makes sure that developers know exactly what they are getting and not like with the PC where they have to consider different hardware developers.
    This is the case with Valorant, for example. They have kept the graphics and textures so simple that they can avoid this problem and make this game accessible to the broad mass of PC users. And depending on the success, nothing stands in the way of a console port.

----------------------------------------

Wenn ich dein Argument richtig verstehe willst du mir sagen, nur weil etwas in den USA Millionen Spieler angelockt hat (aber nicht halten konnte) soll das automatisch im Rest der Welt genauso aussehen?

Wenn das dein Argument sein soll, dann ist es SCHWACHSINNIG. Jeder Kontinent, jedes Land hat eigene Kulturelle Hintergründe und andere Gesellschaftliche Akzeptanzen.

Als Bsp.: In Amerika dem Land der unbegrenzten Möglichkeiten sind Waffen weit verbreitet, aber wehe Alkohol ist im Spiel. Ein harmloses Märchen wie Rotkäppchen ist da verboten und das nur weil die Kleine da nur ihrer Oma Wein mitbringt.

Dagegen stößt man in Europa eher auf Unverständnis was diese Waffennarretei betrifft.

Also wenn du wirklich glaubst das nur weil etwas wie in Land A funktioniert es genauso auf dem Rest des Globus aussehen wird, dann wird dies zu nichts führen.

Ich muss dem Erstellers recht geben, das mit über 100 Millionen verkauften Konsolen, das ein sehr großer Markt. Wobei man dazu noch sagen, muss das ein nur ein Teil ein Spiel wie Planetside spielt. Und viele sind keine Dauer Zocker.

Zu deinem Argument: ja ein PC ist leistungsfähiger. Stimmt hast recht, aber leider ist das so: das nur ein Bruchteil wirklich einen PC zum spielen nutzt, da bei vielen das Leben außerhalb. Und viele müssen mit ihren Geld haushalten. Also mal überlegen: 400 Tacken für eine Konsole sind dann doch schneller zusammengespart als als sagen wir einfach 1500. Wobei man für letzteres als Paar in den Urlaub fliegen könnte, oder je nach Zielland reicht das sogar für die ganze Familie.

Von einigen Ökonomischen Problemen mal abgesehen, auf die ich nicht gehen will.

Aber auch Konsolen haben Vorteile: die Einheitlichen Hardware sorgt dafür das Entwickler genau wissen, was auf sie zu kommt und nicht wie bei dem PC wo sie verschiedene Hardware Entwickler berücksichtigen müssen.

So ist das z.B. bei Valorant. Die Haben die Grafik und Texturen so Simpel gehalten, damit sie diesem Problem aus dem weg gehen können um dieses Spiel der breiten Masse an an PC Nutzern zugänglich zu machen. Und je nach Erfolg steht ein Konsolenport nichts im Wege.
  20. TRspy007

No, I'm not sure why you went on a tangent (I'm assuming it was google translate that screwed up), here's my point:

You compared the total PS4 population to the European PC population.

Using the same date (August 2019) and site as you (https://ps2.fisu.pw/population/?world=10), here was the total PS4 pop vs the total PC pop you compared:

Connery:
    Miller:
    Cobalt:
    Emerald:
    Briggs:
    Soltech:

Total (average) PC pop for August 2019: 1911

Ceres:

Total (average) PS4 pop August 2019: 189

Total (average) Planetside 2 players during August 2019: 2100

Percentage of PS4 players out of the total playerbase:

189/2100 x 100 = 9%

When you compare total PS4 vs total PC pop, PS4 pop barely accounts for 10% at best of the total playerbase. I understand it's hard to admit, but PS4 simply doesn't have the numbers to interest the devs. And it's not just PS4 that doesn't get attention, PC servers such as Briggs have been shut down because of their low population.

As I addressed before, yes, there's 100 million PS4 sold because they are generally cheaper than PCs. No, Planetside 2 isn't (and hasn't been) capable of successfully entering the market.

I took the maximum number of Players that checked out Planetside 2 on PS4:

Now we'll compare that to the 100 000 000 people who own a PS4.

0.003267% of those who own a PS4 actually took a look at the game. A little more than a quarter actually stayed and played reliably for a few months.

Yeah, some console players are interested in Planetside 2. It's still an infinitely small amount compared to the "potential" console playerbase. So yes, it's a very big market. Just not (for the reason I described and others) a market that Planetside 2 satisfies, and the numbers indicate that.

Yes, there may be less people with PCs, but more of them seem to play Planetside 2 than PS4 players.

Yes, consoles do have the advantage that everyone is technically playing on the same specs. Yes, the devs have to account for different PC setups by allowing many customize-able settings, but that's not really an argument for why they shouldn't do it. Besides, it's already been done, it's not something they actually have to worry about constantly. Sure, going with console may have taken less effort, but considering how little response it got from the PS4 community, it wouldn't have been a wise route to take. Besides, they can just add minimum requirements (like they have) if they don't want to tailor the game for every PC. It's not a notable issue, much less one that trumps population/revenue. And since the game was implemented on PC first anyways, it means it's actually harder for them to transfer these designs to PS4, hence why PS4 does not receive many updates.

As for your rant about USA: I'm originally from France, I've lived in Canada, I'm now living in Dubai. I've experienced quit a few cultures, and I'm really not quite sure what any of that has to do with the fact very little PS4 players worldwide play the game. In fact, I haven't even brought up a country to debate anything, I've been saying to look at total population.

And to your second tangent about economical issues: yes, people go for console because it's usually cheaper than a PC. People chose how they want to spend their money, that's not my problem or of much relevance to this post. It's the reason why there's more console players than PC players I assume, but there can be as many console players imaginable, if basically none of them want to play Planetside 2, that does nothing for the game. And I also mentioned most people who spend the money on a PC will game with it for longer periods than console players, at least from what I've seen. If people have the time and want to game, they usually save up for a PC. If they don't have the time, they usually go for console, because it makes less sense to invest in something expensive you're not going to use much.

Overall, yes, there's more PS4 players than PC. That doesn't mean they want to play Planetside 2, and they haven't. For example, there's trillions of planets out in the universe. That doesn't mean each one of them supports life. There can be trillions of PS4 players out there, if less are going to play Planetside 2 than PC players, that automatically prioritizes PC players.

I'm sorry that means the little population that the PS4 playerbase brings to Planetside 2 gets left behind.
    • Up x 2