[Suggestion] 2.0 - 3000 combined participation score is bad for base capping.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AntDX316, Apr 12, 2020.

1. NotziMad

you'll be super happy and not at all jealous to know that for me, it's the opposite, I just captured an amp station with less than 3K points and got the ressources ..... (I made a thread in the bug report section)
  2. AntDX316

It's fine completely. No idea if anything changed but how it is now is totally fine.
  3. AntDX316

4. csvfr

Well it certainly ain't, in fact it encourages a lot of cynical, counterproductive behaviour such as:
    • If coming late to an assault, not helping before defenders have successfully defended a base thus resetting the scoreboard
    • Killing teamates for generators
    • Allowing a generator to be stabilized such that you can overload it again
    • Allowing a point to be flipped such that you can flip it again
    • Not shooting an enemy before he has killed a teammate, especially around control points
    The list goes on of course
    • Up x 3
  5. strove

My small outfit has gotten no resources in a week or so. Low numbers but its not too hard to get the 3k needed. The issues is we often try to defend bases which offers literally nothing to outfits at all, let alone small ones. If we are assaulting a base, more often than not we arent big enough to take a base ourselves so whoever else rocks up, takes the base and we at best get the 1 tick for being over 3k. Not too happy. The best way we can get resources is ghost capping for the outfit claim
    • Up x 2
  6. NotziMad

you don't need the 3K

omg?
  7. TRspy007

Sorry, 3k (based on kills and objectives xp) is the minimum you need to receive the 5 auraxium that used to be awarded to every player that was at the base when captured, even if your outfit doesn't cap it.

The system still uses the highest scorer to determine which outfit owns the base. A maximum of up to the top 10 highest scorers of the same outfit will be added up, and whatever outfit has contributed the most xp based on that will own the base. You can still cap a base without 10 players or 3k score.

You will just have a really hard time generating resources if you can't score at least 3k if your outfit doesn't capture the base.
    • Up x 2
  8. TRspy007

[quote="strove, post: 3550180, member: 122236" The issues is we often try to defend bases which offers literally nothing to outfits at all, let alone small ones. If we are assaulting a base, more often than not we arent big enough to take a base ourselves so whoever else rocks up, takes the base and we at best get the 1 tick for being over 3k. Not too happy. The best way we can get resources is ghost capping for the outfit claim[/quote]

That's really my biggest issues with the update. Lack of defensive rewards, lack of attention to smaller outfits and the added incentive to ghost cap bases/continents.
    • Up x 2
  9. NotziMad

yeah I just found that out, the 3k is only for the reward you get when you capture the base. (well, that's how it is now, cause before, you wouldn't get any resources at all but I guess that wasn't intended and they fixed it)

but .... I don't see why that matters? Cause a steady supply of resources matters so much more than a one time hit? (unless I guess, you've got a very big outfit and each player gets that hit)
    • Up x 1
  10. TRspy007

Well the point was small outfits don't usually manage to outscore larger ones, and therefore rarely actually own a base, and don't have anyone to defend them against counter attacks. So the little bit of resources people got for helping out during was was one of the most reliable ways for smaller outfits to actually earn some resources, without going to empty bases/continents, hoping a larger fit from their team or the other doesn't come by to ruin their cap.

And I think it's a bit unfair that the devs didn't count xp from logistics and support roles towards the required score. Larger outfits have more people sitting on the objectives than smaller ones, and due to sheer probability have more chance of scoring more kills/preventing smaller outfits from getting kills.

I'm both in small and larger outfits, and while it's common to see bastions and OS dumps and war asset overclocking from larger fits, it's a really rare for smaller outfits, especially after the update.
    • Up x 1
  11. strove

A change to this is being pushed through to the test server now. Essentially the limit is going down to only 1k but that does exclude some of the previously talked about "farmable" xp. A decent fix i think. Should go to live sometime soonish.
    • Up x 2
  12. Johannes Kaiser

Thing is, what is considered "farmable" to one might well be a huge contribution to the capture effort to another. I don't have a list of what will be ignored, but imagine a base capture without a single Medic or Engi (because they are effectively obsolete for capture control). Cool, ain't it? The attackers will fold in seconds.
    • Up x 1
  13. TRspy007

Yeah I really don't understand what was the point of that. I understand that people can farm ammo/revives/heals/repairs. That's still not something that's usually done actively in a fight, and it gives less meaning to play a support class. Besides, what can't be farmed in Planetside 2?

And I'm disgusted that logistical xp from sunderers/routers/beacons doesn't count. Not only is the xp minimal, but that's the things that create the fight! How can it be classified as "farmable" xp???

I'd suggest maybe modify how the system calculates a base cap. Instead of using xp, use a point system based on xp ticks. For example, capturing a point would give 10 points. Holding it (guarding it) will generate a point every so often. Generator overloads would count as 5 points, kills as half a point, vehicles kills as 2 points, xp ticks from assists would count as 1/4 of a point and then xp ticks from ammo/repairs/revives/healing/recon would count for 1/10 of a point. Xp ticks from spawns would count as 1/20 of a point.

These are just numbers to give an idea, but it would help give each way of gaining xp some value in a cap, while diminishing the effects of "farming" them, at least IMO.
    • Up x 2
  14. NotziMad

Not to mention that having a sundy usually means spending the whole time defending it and dying to land and air vehicles while everyone else happily chases kills :)

But I get why they did that. It's unfair, it shouldn't be that way, and they aren't being super creative about their problem solving, but yeah ..
    • Up x 2
  15. Crayv

So once again a fun system was utterly ruined in the name of promoting a "competitive mode".