Sound needs updating

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OneShadowWarrior, Apr 17, 2020.

1. OneShadowWarrior

I know Rogue P is working diligently to get new updates in and anything new is a welcome change, but the sound in this game is one feature that seems to be chronically overlooked. I have noticed sound create latency, stutters and the delays of knowing when you get hit or even firing at all has been a chronic problem.

The other thing that every player is seeing is the warping or distortion of sound and it often happens randomly, at first I thought the game was overheating my CPU and it throttles the sound off, but with a new liquid cooled state of the art PC, it’s not. It seems like whenever I snipe or stay at distances in certain locations of the maps the sound corrodes. It get’s to a point where you can’t hear your weapon fires or your enemy weapon fires or it just fades in and out, in some cases the overall sound just sounds clunky and warped.

I know performance and visuals are nice, but sound is also half the experience.
    • Up x 2
  2. ZDarkShadowsZ

My sound cuts out in this game a lot when there's a lot going on. I use the sound of my cloak to tell me whether I'm cloaked or not. I know people will say to just look at my weapon model, but for me it can be hard to focus visually on multiple things at once, so I need the sounds to help me... but sometimes when it cuts it it makes it so much harder and has got me killed on a number of occasions. It'll cut out when I cloak, so in my head I think I'm still uncloaked, so end up cloaking and wonder why I'm not firing at someone and get killed.

My cloak isn't just the problem. My weapon starts cutting out at times and I can't tell if I'm firing or not. Yes my finger is down on the mouse, and my weapon model is discharging, but again, I struggle to focus with multiple things at once and sometimes I think I'm pressing my mouse hard enough when I'm not, so again, I need the sounds to work for me to do well. This is something else that's got me killed.

These issues have been happening to me for a few years now.
  3. OneShadowWarrior

I don’t know if the sound is bottlenecking the USB - DAC on the headset for the Steelseries Arctics Pro, but gonna try 3.5 analog thru the motherboard. I think it is a game software problem that is bottlenecking the sound somehow.
  4. Grandizer

this has been an ongoing issue for the last year I've been playing and seems well before that. After playing for a while say a few hours, the gun/tank/ sundee rounds don't simulate, you hear like one or two round intermittantly. Sound in general sounds like ducking is constantly on as you fire( sound muffles slightly as you fire) and the only way to fix it, is to restart client.

Doesn't matter if you use speakers, 3.5 or USB, it happens no matter what
  5. nuclearunicorn

I think I may have found a work around, at least for myself. I changed the sample rate of both my soundcard and my soundcard's properties in windows to run at 48k 16bit instead of 48k 24bit. Played for a few 2 hour sessions today testing it out after I played for around an hour and a half with the old settings and quickly had the sound cutting out and so far it's worked. Give it a shot.