[BUG] Massive Frame Drops

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TRspy007, Apr 17, 2020.

1. TRspy007

Anyone else getting massive frame drops after this patch?

It basically cut my average fps in half, and I often get random dips below 60 (going into the 10-30 range at most).
    And I have had a random crash that I think is related to these fps drops.

I'd like to confirm I'm not the only one. I play with everything low/off and textures ultra, with fairly low render distance and quality. I would normally never dip below 80 even in the most demanding fights, when now (post-patch) I seem to frequently drop.

It's very noticeable since I have a 240hz screen, and I can assure you this is the first time I have seen something like this since I bought this laptop (beginning of January 2020).

From what I've heard in game I'm not the only one, but I'm curious to hear if this is a widespread issue or if it's something I have to fix myself?

Currently I'm playing with the ASUS Strix Scar 3

CPU: Intel i7 9750H
    GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2060
    16G of dual channel ram

My laptop doesn't seem to struggle anymore than usual when running the game, stays below 80 degrees Celsius and doesn't show any abnormal signs, which is why I'm assuming the issue is not from my end. Also doesn't seem to be a lag spike, since only my fps are affected, and the crash simply shut down the program (no "YOU HAVE BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM THE SERVER" message).
    • Up x 2
  2. ZDarkShadowsZ

I've definitely had frame drops, but not from this patch. I often get 60-70 fps (I like my game reasonably pretty and with shadows). Even in large fights my fps is perfectly fine, but then in certain areas of the continents it lags like crazy. Esamir is the worst for me. It's the same areas over and over and I have come to hate playing on that continent because I'm so sick of the fps drops. I thought it was just me because of my settings, but I play with a friend who has much better hardware than me and prefers medium to potato settings so gets well over 120 fps and gets the same fps drops in the exact same areas of the continent as me. This started happening since the DX11 update.
    • Up x 2
  3. InexoraVC

I have a fps drops after the Escalation patch. Usually I have had 180-90 fps before the patch(es), but now I have 160-60. And a lot of server lags. UserOptions.ini settings are the same...
    GTX 1060 6Gb, 16 Gb Ram, Xeon 1660 v2 - 6 cores/12 threads @ 4.1 Ghz.

CPU and GPU loads are far from 100% in huge battles - they are about 75-85%.
    • Up x 1
  4. TRspy007

Yeah I think it's not just me. I have had bad performance since DX11 (I'm aware of the bug) but this escalation just made everything worse for me. Really, my frame rates have become way more unstable, and drop to rates I hadn't seen before.
  5. Scure

The performance is better and more stable for me than ever, but nothing crazy, it just feels good. You shouldn't have lower than 30FPS, as even my Phenom II can handle around 30FPS in medium sized battles.
    Honestly people always acted like these patches changed performance by 30-40% (negative or positive) for 8 years, but the reality is that the system requirements barely changed. I played on almost the same PC so i know.
    You might experience different battles, there are more players than ever, etc, etc.
  6. Johannes Kaiser

Yesterday me and my entire squad had an extreme drop for about 4 seconds at one point. All at the same time and in the same location (without anything large happening, so it wasn't sudden overload of anything).
    • Up x 4
  7. ZDarkShadowsZ

I'm glad more and more people are finding this happens to them too. I really want to know what causes it, because it's always around the same areas of continents and sometimes it's ended up getting my friend and I killed, or we just can't go to a certain location or it becomes a slideshow.

We did change our render distance from 100% to 90% and they said they had an improvement, but we have yet to test if this applies to the 'sweet spots' where it causes the stuttering/hitching/lag spots the most.
    • Up x 2
  8. TRspy007

it doesn't. Potato mode veteran speaking.
  9. ZDarkShadowsZ

You have single-handedly destroyed my hopes and dreams. :(

Oh well. I'll try anyway and be sad when it still doesn't work.
    • Up x 1
  10. shlimon bakous

I have had this problem for a long time and all the months I always thought I was the only one who had it because nobody had spoken about it.
    • Up x 1
  11. shlimon bakous

The problem has existed since the direct X11 upgrade.
    • Up x 2
  12. TRspy007

yes, but it seems escalation has made it much worse. DX11 introduced a bug that causes the server to randomly drop client packets in larger fights, and sometimes disconnect people. It's also ironically made performance less stable, but until the escalation update, it wasn't as bad. Now I randomly drop below 60 fps even in little fights, when I used to push 150! I had never dipped below 80 in the largest fights, now I can even reach 30 at times!
  13. Grandizer

You should post this in BUGS or piggy back my posts in BUGS on the exact same issues I gave with explicit examples. I also have 2 posts, one just yesterday, with the onscreen API messages of continent capture lagging the game out every time it displays and crashing it to desktop as it appears.
    • Up x 1
  14. InexoraVC

yesterday I had 35 fps in huge battle with CPU load ~50% and GPU load ~40%.
    Looks like this is because of server's lags.
    • Up x 1
  15. TRspy007

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one before I did this.
  16. InexoraVC

It worse now... 40..50% of CPU and GPU load and frame drops to 35...50 fps in 48+ fights. Very unstable fps rate.
    Tried to change settings and didn't succed: nor resolution change, nor ligthning/effects quality, nor particle density, nor graphics quality affect this bug/feature.
    • Up x 1
  17. Sumguy420

I fixed my fps drops today. my cpu was always being overloaded and i turned down maximum voice channels to 80 and voila.
    Still cant turn on shadows though cause when i do theres a 3 second delay on reviving people with my medical tool. Soon as i turn them off the delay is gone lol.
    • Up x 1
  18. Xboxer

After this patch, the performance became just awful, the frame rate in places simply drops to zero.
    Developers definitely need to work on optimizing the client-server part, and not introduce all sorts of flying idiocy barges.
    • Up x 1
  19. TRspy007

I'll try that right away, thanks for the tip!

I've heard they've had some problems with their ISP, so servers have been really messy this month. Also there's usually too much load for the servers when there's about 100 players in the same hex, so that's usually when you can expect random disconnects and other funky stuff. Hopefully the ISP will fix the issue, and the pop should soon fall back down to where it was before escalation, so in a month or 2 everything should be more or less fine regarding that.

As for the frame rates, it just seems random places suck out your frames. I've noticed this a lot at ceres near A point for example. Not quite sure if that's ever going to be fixed.
  20. InexoraVC

doesn't work for me.
    • Up x 1