Can the Harasser NOT be a light tank!!!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by karlooo, Mar 22, 2020.

1. \m/SLAYER\m/

Same with ESFs, but ESF only 1 pilot, while Harasser cant run-and-gun solo, need a gunner, its 2 players. so is it fair 2 players against 1 player light tank?
    Take an MBT with gunner, its equal, but requires skill, otherwise harasser will die in seconds.
    Anyway, most harasser running with AV weapons, to deal with armor.
    Try to play around with harasser, don't forget to find good gunner. The only strength is speed, to dodge some shots, and escape with burning rear.
  2. GenGrant

So your saying that a 4 wheeled buggy "should" be equal to a MBT? I would argue that between a lightning and a harasser 1vs1 should be close. As it stand right now, it is no contest. The harasser will win 9/10 times. On top of it lethality, it costs far less than what it should. Either decrease the lightning or increase the harasser's cost. There is no risk vs reward for the harasser. Hence why everyone is using them (outside of VS which get the short end of the stick for usable weapons on it). When it comes to damage output there is no contest. After all that, unlike the single person lightning, you can repair on the fly which makes it even worse to combat. You can't use any lock on rockets because, like you said, it is quick enough to break LoS. So I fail to see how, in its current state, it is not being addressed.
    • Up x 5
  3. BrbImAFK

The problem is not that Harassers are fast. The problem is not that they're tanky. They problem is not that they're killy. The problem is that they're all three together. While everbody else is sacrificing something (e.g. speed for armour), Harassers get it all. Much like Libs.

If Harassers were fast and killy, but not tanky, they'd be glass cannon Harassers, like they're meant to be. If they were fast and tanky, but not killy, they'd be light scout vehicles, also fine. If they were tanky and killy, well... they'd be tanks, which is kinda pointless, but you get the picture.

The problem is not that Harassers are any one thing - it's that they're *all the things*!
    • Up x 5
  4. Crayv

Oh hey this ties into that whole, repairing is the problem thing.

Generally when a Harrasser gets close to me as a HA (usually to attack my Sundy) a rocket and an AV grenade is usually enough to send it running. Problem is it will escape before it can be killed and will be back in full health in less than minute.

Ultimately there is no real punishment for a Harasser when it over extends. It can always just run away and repair the damage it took (rewarding the driver/gunner with repair exp to boot) and just try again until it succeeds. If a tank over extends it can't retreat as it is slower and/or must expose its rear.

In short: Repairing rewards hit-and-run playstyle the most and Harhars are the most suited ground vehicle for it.
    • Up x 5
  5. iller

...more like 20 seconds...

I gun for these things too... and as soon as we turn tail, I immediately switch to the bucket seat to start reps. It's already back to 50% health by the time we find a small rock to park behind and then when the driver jumps out to rep it takes like 3 seconds to finish reps entirely. This is the main reason that nothing except ESF's can really soft counter harassers but that goes out the window immediately the second there's a whole "gang" of them and one of them equips a Ranger topgun.

That's why I keep saying they either need to take bonus damage from ESF nose guns, OR just remove the Ranger from them as an option (and refund all certs for the cheesers who unlocked it)
  6. Twin Suns

In some circles it's called Herbie. Herbie the love bug to be exact. It likes going bananas. *rim shot*
    • Up x 1
  7. Hereyagoboom

I don't hate all harassers except for the ones fitted with a daggum vulcan. No counter in a lightning.
    • Up x 2
  8. Demigan

Look it is very simple: at some point they were 3-shot kills for the most part, 4-shot kills if you didnt land the last shot fast enough. There was basically one complaint: Vulcan Harassers are superior compared to the other Harassers. Otherwise neither drivers, gunners or their opponents complaint.

Then the devs in all their wisdom decided to simultaneously up the backseat repair rate and improve the tankyness. Now it can handle 7 or more shots if handled right. If we simply revert back to the good old days of +/-3 shot kills we will have a few people who abused it mourning its loss, and tons of people who love the fair balanced vehicle.
    • Up x 5
  9. \m/SLAYER\m/

Its equal to MBT depend on driver and gunner skill, but honestly, it's more like infiltrator cqc with bolt action, if you can't kill tank fast enough, you will loose.
    You can't compare harasser to lightning, only one has small arms resistance with better DPS. Vanu not using harassers just because of Magriders, its can reach more places. anyway, vanu has all the same weapons, even laser-vulcan analog (it's doesn't sounds as cool as TRs one) but VS still has close combat -H gun.
    There no main problems with Harasser - it's just fun to drive and gun, but only if you have a proper gunner, otherwise you can pull a selfish Lightning tank in a team base game and get pissed by Harraser crew.
  10. Zaros

Your complaining about the wrong thing on this forum post, this is about Harassers, not about the main battle tank of the VS. Also, these VS players know what they're doing, they are using the terrain to their advantage AND wtf are those prowlers even doing in such terrain to begin with? Are they trying to barrage a spawn point with Hesh Rounds? No wonder they lost against a knowledgeable Magrider pilot and gunner.

Also, those prowlers allowed that maggy to get behind them to do additional back attack damage. Where are your comments about a prowler being able to destroy multiple light and heavy tanks with a Vulcan and AP rounds? Especially when that Prowler pilot knows how to flank with such load-out (AP rounds and Vulcan).
  11. DDaly

This is a side effect of nerfing in search of perfect balance. Something like the harraser becomes powerful simply by comparison.
    Food for thought.
    • Up x 1
  12. Allin

I hate them and I never thought they introduce anything else to the game outside of arcade cheese for adrenaline junkies (in itself it is fine) but ruinin the tactical feeling of the game with nonsensical HotRoding in bumpercars. Not to mention it is either uncounterable. 2 mediocre but competent AV harrassers will eat alive a pair of 2 manned decent MBTs with absolute ease when focus firing without much chance to retaliate, by the time the first MBT will be gone one of the harassers will be severely damaged or 2 will have half health and will just disengage and eat up the other one after coming back.

MBT driver and the gunner needs to be pinpoint accurate almost 100% of the time to keep up with the DPS of the harasser while it's weapon will be ALWAYS spammy and easy to use and very miss friendly making it apply damage with much less margin of error.

Another thing is the roadkilling of infantry spawning at sunderers. Pointless, cheap and serving no gameplay purpose with very little for this infantry to do in time to counter it. Maybe Caltrops will be some form of a solution but then they should be a standard equipment like Hardlight Shield.
  13. mooman1080

The harasser very much represents the role that ESF should have fulfilled, fast and agile hit and run punch. Except the ESF will get memed on by the slightest AV round, and with good reason. Meanwhile the harasser can tank AP MBT rounds, and still output more dps than the ESF while having more agility and acceleration letting it dive into cover faster, and easier simply because of it's existence as a ground vehicle.

I understand that the harasser should be relatively stronger by simple fact that it's a 2-3 pilot vehicle, but this to an obscene level, nothing can rightfully challenge it's capabilities.

Except maybe the magrider.
    • Up x 2
  14. Crayv

Another problem with the Harasser is that what role is it suppose to do other than combat? Transport? Redploying is faster and cheaper, and how does it compare to something like a Valk or Sundy?

As I mentioned earlier, repairing is a large source of the problem. At one point Harassers were a lot less durable and they basically exploded the moment they encountered an enemy. So they made them a bit more tanky but any tanky-ness in this game is compounded by the fact that if you don't fully kill a vehicle in one go you are wasting your time. So Harassers are able to try hit and runs until they finally catch you in a bad situation (you don't remember the 2 times they had to run before they killed you but you do remember the one they did).
    • Up x 1
  15. NotziMad

this is a quote from one of my older posts on the topic of Harrassers.

I wasn't saying they were OP or needed to be balanced though, my point was simply that they were silly.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________

There are a TON of reasons why (to me) they illustrate a failed developer project, but I won't get into those.

Instead, I'm picking just one reason which I feel, if it were the only reason, would be wayyyy good enough to justify revamping them.

They are plain ridiculous.

They make a joke of the game.

Close your eyes, take a deep breath and imagine a Harrasser, what is he doing?

Running around like a lunatic, bashing into sundies trying to run over infantry, suiciding "cause it's fun" and generally completly ******** stuff. Sprinting around the battlefield, up slopes to get that big jump.

Now I'm not saying PS2 is a realistic war simulation, and I wouldn't want it to be either, however Harrassers today are pure arcade at the expense of coherence, immersion, and plain and simple basic realism.

Of course unrealistic behaviour happens in all vehicles, we're not real soldiers, this isn't a real war, and it's not even a realistic simulation. But there's a difference between the behaviour of players in any vehicle, and in Harrassers.

Make them more coherent, less "arcade style reckless fun" and more "we're in a war here fighting for this or that (base, lives, alert, whatever).
    • Up x 2
  16. Atorum

You have no idea how Prowlers work, do you? Prowler doesnt have burst or dps anymore thanks to Wrel, it used to be a glass canon, now its neither, thanks to Wrel.
    Also, Magrider in current state is op af, again, thanks to Wrel and his buffs to Magrider. Its impossible to C4, its hard to hit and its even harder to hit in the rear, literally has no weakness.
    One thing I dont get is why Magrider has same hp as Prowler yet it has no weakness like Prowler.|
    It should have 1k hp less than Prowler to balance it out since chances of it getting strafing removed is around zero.
  17. Demigan

Well some games allow any weapon to OHK on a headshot and those weapons even have a slight bullet magnetism. In those games it's not OP because everything can do it. If we added a high-ROF weapon from one of those games to PS2 it wouldn't be OP... Until we compared it to all the other weapons in the game.

The only food for thought is "why wouldn't we compare it to other weapons?". The only way to determine if something is overpowered is by looking at the difference in power between it and other weapons!

The Harasser has a role to play. It is far exceeding that role, it is far exceeding it's cost/effectiveness and the way it can reset the engagement whenever it's going bad for it is unfun for the person who whittled their health down only to see them get away and repair up for the next round while the non-harasser has no way of escaping or avoiding the Harasser except by killing it.
    • Up x 1
  18. Scure

Speed is very important in this game and the Harasser is very fast while having good HP/defense/attack attributes too.

They come into a battle, make some kills and 5 second later they are gone. And there is no way to go after them. Not even ESF is able to do this.
    Few hits doesn't kill them obviously and there is no time for more (or you miss to much because they are way too fast), they just run away, then repair and come back with a laugh.

I think they should keep the speed and attack power the same, but the defense or HP needs to be decreased. It should be a fast something with very thin armor.
    • Up x 2
  19. nagibator

all harraser tank is speed. need 2-3 ppl. just drop 10-15 mines everywhere. maybie bariers near ams. after 15 april 8-12 caltrops. and harrasers wil be easy exp. what that tears about? or 2 ninja cloak starfall burn harraser in one second
  20. Halkesh

What about removing all AA and AV weapons from the harasser ?
    This way it will keep it's effectiveness but will have clear counter as it can't defend itself effectively against anything that is not infantry. (and good luck getting a vehicle kill with the basilisk).
    • Up x 3