Does anyone know what setting improves the rendering distance of beacons (specifically)?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NotziMad, Apr 14, 2020.

1. NotziMad

Even after all these years of gaming at PS2, I still haven't really found the perfect set up for the in game preferences that would maximise "efficiency" (frame rate, obviously, but also how easy things are to see etc) and maybe (I know this may sound dumb, in fact, it probably is, like, super dumb) also my connection so as to maximise my PC's performance while at the same time, enjoying, as much as possible, what I feel is, especially for a 8 year old game, gorgeous graphics.

I'm pretty close, but the problem I've got is, I can't see enemy beacons unless I'm like on top of them...

I hear them droping, I go outside, look for a beacon, can't see any, until I'm close.

Apart from that, I'm quite happy with my preferences / settings, so what would be awesome, would be for me to figure which particular setting affects beacons, so that I could just modify that one, so that I can see them from farther away.

Is there render distance even affected by the settings? I mean, I don't even know..
  2. Talthos

Particle quality. The beacon beams render from furthest out if Particle quality is set to 'Ultra'.

Of course, that also enables all the other blinding effects (like the excessive bullet impact sparks, for one).

Interestingly, a game restart isn't required to make changes to particle quality take effect; you merely need to wait for around 5 seconds or so.

So you could potentially use Ultra particle quality for beacon-finding and vehicle play, while setting it back to Low before doing dedicated infantry stuff.
    • Up x 2
  3. Rooklie

Awesome reply, thank you very much !