Optimization for this game is horrible

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by OneShadowWarrior, Mar 30, 2020.

1. OneShadowWarrior

So I run a system with a high resolution of 5120x1440 with a I7-7700 CPU and a 2080 RTX card, NvMie SSD, 32 gigs of Corsair Ram, a Motherboard from Asus Maximus Code IX, Soundcard from Creative, anything and everything that far exceeds the requirements of this game.

Render distance reduced to 2000
    Ambient Occulsion - On
    Bloom Enabled On
    Graphics - High
    Texture Ultra
    Lighting Quality High
    Shadows Off
    Effects Low
    Terrain Low
    Flora Off
    Model Quality High
    Particles Low

The vast majority of the settings have to be on potato settings, because in spite of better performance with DX11, many of the graphics above low simply are not optimized in the game for more recent hardware and higher end graphics cards and the penalty of stuttering, lag, glitches, artifacts, rendering issues, warping of images, you take a severe hit.

Makes no sense that I can run so many other games cranked up but in this one it’s a muddy meas where you can’t see in big battles.

Signed The Potato
  2. Grandizer

I hear you loud and clear...unfortunately I'm with you. Game has never been optimized. Even the uninstaller will give you a C++ error and has been for a long time.

Read my bug posts here https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/frame-rate-hitching-and-jitter.253877/

Let me know if you're getting what I'm getting. All my issues actually started with the Bastion update. Seems since 2013, every complaint of lag, stuttering frames, jitter, etc all relate to players commenting "after the update" or after the feature update". You can youtube the videos and there's a reddit from a few years ago where "dev" was asking for uploads of frame freezing and stuttering, not to mestion the massive fps drops just standing still ( 150fps down to 40's and 50's for no reason in an empty base)
  3. OneShadowWarrior

You know in these settings I get from 70-145 fps, but it seems inconsequential. I had one fight I was getting 90 FPS and I could see 1-2 seconds of skipping in between shots.
  4. Talthos

I've noticed that this game has trouble with resolutions higher than 1920x1080

For that matter, the UI doesn't scale properly past that resolution.
  5. OneShadowWarrior

Well, 8 years ago if you had 1024x768 and a 19 inch monitor, you were King Tut.

These days, people are going beyond 1080 p, 1440, 4k, 8k, Ultrawide Monitors way beyond 27 inches, I can imagine even on the Playstation version people do use big TVs. Not adding into the equation multimonitor setups and the emergence of DSR with Nvidia cards and of course HDR is a popular trend, but there is zero support on Graphics for this.

I also wanted to bring up anti aliasing, SSAO which was once the standard from Crytek for Ambient Occlusion has evolved into so many other better models with higher efficiency and high end graphics cannot take advantage of such leaps with this game.

Beyond just resolution, shadows and light are key components to visuals.
  6. Grandizer

I'm not playing above 1080p to begin with. I don't have ANY nor have had any of the effects on the bottom left activated, Occlusion, fog shadows, etc. Nothing on my system was changed for almost a year in the settings so all this about higher resolutions doesn't apply. My rig can handle Outer Worlds, Borderlands, etc at Ultra settings.

Even with all settings on low, the game has performed badly since update. It has something to do with the zones. If I stay in an area too long and travel along a lattice where the frame skipping and fps drops frantically go up and down, the game is unplayable. If I re-deploy and go somewhere else and then go back to the same place, everything gets better.

Even logging in, sometimes the lighting in the warpgate is super bright and others it's normal. At times when it's super bright, If I just stand in one place, I can see the brightness slowly level down to darker until it's normal

There have been so many things I've done just to fix whatever has happened to this game and this game only, it's ridiculous.

Restored PC to before the feature update and re-patched to see if it would fix
    Uninstalled game 2x, including a full Revo uninstall since the game's uninstaller does not work and complete redownload
    Uninstalled Nvidia drivers 3 times and used 3 different versions to test
    Cleared the Nvidia shader cache
    Cleared the Directx 11 cache and had it re-create textures
    Ran SFC, no integrity violations
    Ran DISM and did both health checks, came back 100% ok
    Uninstalled 2 windows updates to see if it was the cause
    Checked all versions of C++ and ran a repair just in case
    Restored PC to before windows updates and blocked Windows 10 updates to test
    Booted in a clean boot and only allowed Battle Eye and ran the game

None of this worked yet however, when the night gets late and the population starts to decrease, say around 11pm to 3am in the morning, the game runs terrific and all this frame hitching and stutters doesn'
    t happen
  7. Talthos

The only other thing I can suggest, is checking your Nvidia control panel settings for this game. Shader caching in particular rarely plays nice with Planetside 2, I've noticed.
  8. Grandizer

And again... I've been playing since last August with no issues until Bastion feature update There would no reason for me to play with Nvidia settings to get the zones to stop lagging and stuttering randomly until re-deploy.

I also have changed the shader cache and it doesn't help. When the pop goes down, the experience is way better. Indar in particular suffers the worst when I never had a problem with any continent. I'm running a 1070 TI FW@ with 8gb, there would be no reason for the shader cache to struggle especially when I turn it off and let the CPU take on more of the texture loading and it does nothing.

As I've mentioned, any reference to environment stutters, jitter, fps massively fluctuating and zone problems for some players can all be googled and as far back as 2013 and youtubed and the point of reference of the complaint was after an update to the game. Still doesn't make sense as to why zoning out and back in corrects the problem, mostly.

The UI is even lagging my game out whenever a base capture message comes on the screen or another continent lock. The smaller messages of defended a facility don't affect it but the bigger overlay messages do and I'm not the only one to see it during game play.

There's people here who can't see weapons they don't own and other issues so there has to be an asset or server to certain parts of the east coast or UI bugs going on.
  9. shlimon bakous

I can confirm this problem, I play on Kobold and Müller and have the same problems, especially indar, it is extremely bad.my rig i7 7700k gtx 1070 16 gig ram 3200mhz cl 16
  10. NotziMad

let's put it this way, it depends what you're comparing it too.

Compared to any single player game, yeah, it's horrible.

Compared to any MMO that has less than 10 players at any given time in the same area, yeah, it's horrible.

What you have to realise is, the biggest influence on your FPS in an online game isn't the graphic settings or visiual effects, the biggest strain comes from other players.

And there aren't that many games that can hold that many players with such good performance, I promise you that.

So if you're comparing it to other MMOs that have such big fights, and we're not just talking about 100 players, we're talking about 200+, I'd really like to know what those MMOs are cause compared to every "Mass PVP" online game I know, this one is for sure the one with the best performance.
  11. Grandizer

No one, at least myself, is comparing this to any other game. My information based on almost a year of playing is strictly how this game is now performing since Aug last year. Whatever is causing it NOW certainly can be fixed as these issues have been a complaint since every update, they seem to surface for some maybe not others however in the past, the Devs had acknowledged the issue after an update, stated they were looking into it and patched.

Never had frame hitching, never had microstutters, never had textures load funky from one area to the next, never had massive fps fluctuations and increased fluctuations until re-zoning back in an area and never had the UI faction messages cause the game to stutter briefly ( again others have seen it as well)

Specifically, when the server pop wains down, the game is smooth and when I started last year, there were queues for continents I waited for as well as zoning in when I was a member and didn't run into these issues. There is still an issue with either the UI, code, zones or all of it.
  12. NotziMad

what you're seeing in this case is lag, and you're confusing it for other issues.

FPS and ping are two really super really different things.

The game's been lagging a lot since the population increased a lot. I've been following Rogue Planet on twitter, and they seem to be actively working on this.
  13. OneShadowWarrior

Yes, never had this many issues since the Outift War update, but game definitely doesn’t support resolutions above 1980x1080.

I admit I do have some bottlenecking with my CPU/GPU and personally don’t want to classify this game as a first person shooter. The immersion with so many high graphics settings is worth far move than worrying about if your frame per second dips below 40 because of the size and number of players on the servers.

Now that I know it puts heavy demands on the CPU and cooling overtime, I can work on some remedies on my end.
  14. InForWar

i got:
    i5-3450 cpu which is from 2012
    gtx 1060 which is from 2016
    and some 2x4ghz DDR3 1333mhz ram sticks.

My pc has by no means what you would call "recent hardware" and still I can max out most games i played recently with 60+ fps.
    examples are farcry 5, destiny 2, gta 5(i know it's pretty old one but doesn't matter because this game came out in 2012) and rust(which has the same intense open world kind of graphics)

i run this game with 45~ fps at large fights with the lowest possible settings available and it's ******* annoying.
  15. InForWar

I bought my pc 8 years ago fully specced for 1080p gaming with an 1080p monitor that cost just over a thousand dollars.
    nah... you're talking 15 years ago
  16. Grandizer

But mine is recent hardware, and this game only uses 35-40% CPU usage. I know what ping is and I relate my low ping to good connection with ZERO dropped packets. Bad ping would could initiate poor connection, therefore low frames which is ruled out.

You're talking apples and oranges. I run and have been running 1080p on this game since last year. Despite stating why framerates are bad and why there is stutter all of a sudden has nothing to do with hardware. In case you haven't ever looked up feature updates for this game since 2013, the complaints of all this come after updates and it affects some and not others.When pop dwindles down at night, as in OVERALL in the server, the issues get much much better if not completely gone.

I max out 250fps in warpgate with no Nvidia V-sync and run 120fps with FAST V-sync on. If I used to get these issues, then I would agree with you but another PC running windows 7 with 16gb RAM, GTX 950 and Asus WS Revolution mobo, not a cheap mobo by any means, has the same stuttering on textures, fps all over the place in certain areas with no action taking place, until a re-deploy back in the zone fixes it and using different Nvidia drivers, and I played Battlefild games on that PC for years. Game still stutters with onscreen facility capture message when displayed on screen and on both PC's, the UI in settings tab sometimes lags the game when selecting them as well as the OUTFIT names. That takes forever to re-sync when I select MEMBERS ONLINE and takes forever to scroll through the names, it lags and stops after scrolling a few names and have to wait.. I did this specifically to test this game, yet I run Borderlands 3 on Ultra everything and Outer Worlds on Ultra everything and have no issues. Even an old game like Path of Exile runs smooth maxed out.

My game crashed for the first time ever this week and I put a ticket. It happened when the onscreen message of the Vanu controlled Esamir. As soon as it popped up, the game stuttered and crashed and that was after playing the whole alert.

i7-9700k
    32bg Trident Z ram
    GTX-1070TI FW2
    Asrock Phantome Gaming 9 running full MCE and without with no difference in issues
  17. Xboxer

I confirm, very strong frame drops, after this update with bastions, a terrible update.
    Previously, the game worked so-so, it was especially noticeable on the tank in big battles, now it has become unbearable ...
    And this is with a fairly powerful PC .....
    I can’t imagine how things are going with people with weak PCs, but developers should take this problem very seriously, the performance problem is clearly overdue.