Frame rate Hitching and Jitter

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Grandizer, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Grandizer

Is anyone else having this issue for 2 weeks? Has any of the Devs responded that this is a thing lately or not? Jitter and hitching in the game was responded to by Devs on Reddit 3 years ago and asked for uploads on youtube to identify it. It's been a complaint for other content updates in the past, where people state the game jitters and stutters right after an update.

I thought I had it figured out with a UI textures by changing them in game, but it's still there.

Intermittant jittery scenery and hitching running or driving vehicles. Like buildings and scenery move in a slight stutter. Fighting in a base and all of a sudden when you turn real quick, the frames freeze for a second but sound does not lag nor does the fps change. When you ADS with a 3.4x scope, it doesn't feel smooth either. Map scrolling lags a bit as well at times.

As I posted in Bugs Forum last week, almost every server overlay message that comes up on the screen causes a hitch in gameplay ( captured the facility, Faction has taken control of continent, continent event has started)

Can someone confirm I am not the only one seeing this? I just installed this to test on my older Windows 7 rig using a i7 950 and a gtx950 and the exact same thing is happening there. Ran quality line tests, ping tests, latency tests as well including ping monitoring on my dslreports.com account and everything comes up clean, no drop packets, low constant pings and A+ line quality for jitter and speed. Comcast engineer confirmed there are no issues in my area as I have a relationship with him from past issues last year that they cleared up.
    • Up x 3
  2. Grandizer

ok, so I just played Vanu on Connery after posting with the same settings I have on Emerald and the game not only looks cleaner and color brightness looks normal, it plays super smooth with a 75ms self ping and 108 server ping. No hitching of graphics while playing, no stutters and we locked esamir and had about a 1ms hitch when the overlay came up on screen. stating Vanu locked it.

This is a huuuuge difference from Emerald experience right now. Now, understanding that on West Coast, there are 2 continents open now with fewer players but why the graphically different experiences and gameplay?
  3. Magma52

Sorry to hear that, I know how frustrating it can be. First of all, trying try capping your framerate with a frame rate limiter to just below your monitor refresh rate. I use RivaTuner to set it to 170 FPS (180Hz monitor). If you're playing on a 60Hz monitor, 59 FPS should do fine.That helps avoids the constant stutter found in most games that are running beyond your screen's refresh rate. It doesn't fix the unique mega stutter that this game has ever since the DX11 update, though.

Since the DX11 update, it happens occasionally in every single game session, and it only happens in certain areas. If I move out of that area, it's smooth again. Very bad stutter, and it seems that a lot of people get it. It's just a part of the game now.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps...itching-stuttering-on-parts-of-esamir.253864/

Someone in that thread suggests turning off shader cache in GPU control panel, which I am going to try today. Fingers crossed.

I don't get it all the time, though, and, for the most part, I can play the game quite happily. Have you checked the polling rate of your mouse? A few years back I was tearing my hair out because, out of the blue, every single game I played had horrendous stutter. I jumped through every single trouble shooting hoop thinkable before I remembered the polling rate setting in my mouse's software. I had never adjusted it, but it was set to 250. That's very low for a 180Hz monitor and the 'stutter' I was seeing was literally the discrepancy between a high refresh rate and the low rate of data coming from my mouse. Set it to 1000 and everything was fine again.
  4. Magma52

That's very odd. If you keep playing your Connery character for an extended period, let us know if things worsen or stay as good.
  5. Talthos

I was the one who suggested disabling the shade cache, yes. A simplified explanation of what it's supposed to do 'on paper':
    Code:
    The cache is only used the first time a shader is built when running a game.

The next time the game wants the same shader it will pull it from the cache rather than building it again.
    I vaguely recall something about Planetside 2 just overwhelming the shader cache feature, causing it to constantly try and 'rebuild' the shader cache over the course of a game session; HDDs will 'notice' this the most.
  6. Grandizer

I played Connery last night for 2hrs without one single problem, not one, I ran around without any hitching and could even tell my fire rate was faster and the game never hitched once. Game was super smooth. I kept looking for rendering issues and not one.

So I must reiterate, since playing last year in August exclusively on Emerald ( Florida resident), I never had this issue until the bastion update/patch. As soon as update was done, game noticeably had a problem. I never had to fiddle with nvidia settings before. Also, since the emrald update, my personal 38-45ms ping has now increased to 50-60's and the server ping has also increased from 55-65ms to up to 90ms. This ping is slightly lower than what I get to Connery from Florida ( 75ms personal and up to 108ms server). I'm playing on SSD and there should be no reason to change shader cache after a year of no problems.

The issue isn't lag on my end. My mouse moves smooth, it's the environment that moves in slight micro steps running in a straight line or randomly turning it will just snap to where I'm pointing like it missed the panning movement and just snapped into place. All this is random times, not constantly. It could be fine until I get "somewhere" in an area then it starts.

It even feels like I'm running in mud, slow and sluggish and fire rate of weapons feels like it's slower. It's as if the server isn't providing content to me as fast as I need it. I can tell the difference because on different play sessions, the game responds better or worse to these anomalies I just mentioned.

This isn't an issue with frame rates on my end. With Nvidia Vsync off, I get up to 250fps in warpgate and over 100fps in huge battles. With Vsync on as Fast, because of my high frame rates, I start at a locked 120fps and dips to 80-100fps in large bases or battles with High graphics, Ultra textures, High models, high everything else or medium with occlusion, shadows, smotthing, flora, etc, off

I have played with Vsync off and on in the past and had not experienced any problems except some tearing without sync but since server update the other day, the tearing is 100x worse forcing me to use Vsync.

I already tried the shader cache thing and it didn't make a difference( why I'm doing this after a year of playing shouldn't be needed) and what I can't figure out is why on Emerald, does the game lag when a game continent overlay message comes up ( continent lock, captured the facility)? I'm not the only one who sees it either. We had a platoon members all exclaim in comms" what the hell was that? This was during the bad server issue last week where poor connections were happening with everyone but it's still happening. Not on Connery though.

I have i7 9700k
    GTX 1070 TI
    32gb Trident Z
    1000wt Seasonic PSU
    Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SSD
    Cruxial m500 SSD
    Phantom Gaming 9 mobo
    Asus 1080p 60hz monitor.
  7. Grandizer

I played Connery last night for 2hrs without one single problem, not one, I ran around without any hitching and could even tell my fire rate was faster and the game never hitched once. Game was super smooth. I kept looking for rendering issues and not one.

So I must reiterate, since playing last year in August exclusively on Emerald ( Florida resident), I never had this issue until the bastion update/patch. As soon as update was done, game noticeably had a problem. I never had to fiddle with nvidia settings before. Also, since the emrald update, my personal 38-45ms ping has now increased to 50-60's and the server ping has also increased from 55-65ms to up to 90ms. This ping is slightly lower than what I get to Connery from Florida ( 75ms personal and up to 108ms server). I'm playing on SSD and there should be no reason to change shader cache after a year of no problems.

The issue isn't lag on my end. My mouse moves smooth, it's the environment that moves in slight micro steps running in a straight line or randomly turning it will just snap to where I'm pointing like it missed the panning movement and just snapped into place. All this is random times, not constantly. It could be fine until I get "somewhere" in an area then it starts.

Another thing I forgot, when slow walking in a semi-circle back and forth and following a an object up close, you can see the object slightly ghost stutter in micro movements, like it shifts/shimmies instead of being solid placement. It's like it's screen tearing or wants to but can't.

It even feels like I'm running in mud, slow and sluggish and fire rate of weapons feels like it's slower. It's as if the server isn't providing content to me as fast as I need it. I can tell the difference because on different play sessions, the game responds better or worse to these anomalies I just mentioned.

This isn't an issue with frame rates on my end. With Nvidia Vsync off, I get up to 250fps in warpgate and over 100fps in huge battles. With Vsync on as Fast, because of my high frame rates, I start at a locked 120fps and dips to 80-100fps in large bases or battles with High graphics, Ultra textures, High models, high everything else or medium with occlusion, shadows, smotthing, flora, etc, off

I have played with Vsync off and on in the past and had not experienced any problems except some tearing without sync but since server update the other day, the tearing is 100x worse forcing me to use Vsync.

I already tried the shader cache thing and it didn't make a difference( why I'm doing this after a year of playing shouldn't be needed with a 1070 TI with 8gb Vram. Shader cache is for low memory cards) and what I can't figure out is why on Emerald, does the game lag when a game continent overlay message comes up ( continent lock, captured the facility)? I'm not the only one who sees it either. We had a platoon members all exclaim in comms" what the hell was that? This was during the bad server issue last week where poor connections were happening with everyone but it's still happening. Not on Connery though.

I have i7 9700k
    GTX 1070 TI
    32gb Trident Z
    1000wt Seasonic PSU
    Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SSD
    Cruxial m500 SSD
    Phantom Gaming 9 mobo
    Asus 1080p 60hz monitor.
  8. Grandizer

Just logged into Indar emerald with vsync on, 120fps. Spawned at Rasnuu Cavern with 120fps and like 5 vs 5 and ran on the little bridge, when I turned around a crate, frames skipped. Another thing I forgot, when slow walking in a semi-circle back and forth and following a an object up close, you can see the object slightly ghost stutter in micro movements, like it shifts/shimmies instead of being solid placement. It's like it's screen tearing or wants to but can't.

I just warped and took Crimson Bluff at 4:58pm with a big battle. frames were 90-100fps, game looked like it was running half of that and textures looked grainy. Moving wasn't 100fps smooth and was getting slight frame hitching randomly.

Each time the "we've captured the facility" message popped up, the graphics stutter but not the sound. It DOESN"T happen when the "We've Defended the facility" popped up though. It's like the bigger overlay of capturing causes it.

Just took Indar and went to Hossin. Moving and looking at objects doing same thing. Walk semi circle or side to side focusing on say a computer terminal or crate, you can see the edges jitter.

Settings were kept the same as I was on Connery last night when I logged off at 10:30pm EST.
  9. Grandizer

Just logged into Connery at 5:15pm, no issues. I was taking out heavies 1v1 as a medic and ttk was great, no stutters or hitching and could evade fire without dying around corners. Fire rate of Puldar VS1 was NOTICABLY faster. On Emerald TTK is 30 rounds to the head and body and sometimes no kill and recoil also seems greater.
    Settings were kept the same as I was on Connery last night when I logged off at 10:30pm EST. Something is wrong and it's not on my end
  10. Grandizer

my ModelO

MY Model O polling is at 1000. My rig and setup is more than capable to handle the game and has been running since last year. Nothing has changed on my end as far as settings or hardware. Why would this explain why Connery has a better experience and why would the game overlay messages for facility capture or other continent lock cause the game to start to stutter? again, just happened after update.

There must be an asset issue or server issue that DBG hasn't bothered to look at. Yeah I get a little graphic stutter in some places, like mountain areas in between large formations but not like what's happening on Emerald. Game is unplayable there for me now
  11. shlimon bakous

I'm a eu player,i have the same problem most time in indar.my rig i7 7700k/gtx1070/16gig ddr4 3200cl16
  12. Grandizer

Unfortunately, this is every continent. As of right now, 3:40am on Emerald with one continent open, Indar, I'm in a 96+ vs 96+ at TI Alloys against TR and it chaotic and not one single frame issue or stutter. We're stuck trying to get up the mountain to the top.

My inclination, if the Devs wish to comment or even acknowledge, is with high server pop and all continents open, something can't handle the loading and rendering correctly as I'm having zero issues right now and all settings are still on Ultra and High, nothing changed. Not one single stutter or frame hitching.
  13. Avendorz

i can confirm this too.
    a friend and me both get random stuttering/fps drops, from what i've seen probably almost simultaniously.
    this is happening since the dx11 update. while it got better, it still makes the game unplayable sometimes when you're in combat and can't aim properly anymore and die due to that. it's really frustrating.
    i'm running it on a radeon 8970m on low-mid settings, 60 fps with vsync.
    oh yeah..and i'm playing on cobalt if that makes a difference.
  14. SikVvVidiT

This is back for me too! Along with this wired mouse lag problem... I have top of the line everything, ALL other games run flawless... Yet I play this crap and have weird hitching and lag with 140+ fps....

Not to mention all the other bugs that I encounter... Getting redeployed for no reason, no score on scoreboard no matter what I do, can't put deployables down...
  15. Pincock

Hello,

This caught my attention "It even feels like I'm running in mud, slow and sluggish and fire rate of weapons feels like it's slower." I started having the same issue around 2020 too. I genuinely don't think it's a Planetside 2 only thing, I've been experiencing all sorts of weirdness in other titles too.

Do you happen to have an update on this? If you're still playing the game, which I highly doubt you are, specially not with those issues as I am about to quit the game too.