[Suggestion] Increase Orbital Strike Material Cost

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Trebb, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Trebb

Orbital strikes are way too common, and are crapping on all the good fights. There's no counter, no base to kill, no nuke radius slowly creeping up on your fight. The past few days, I've had 2, sometimes 3 OS in a row, and it just kills the fight.

They used to be *somewhat* special, but now are just an unavoidable nuisance.

Maybe put a huge cooldown timer, or bump up the mat cost by 2x!
    • Up x 10
  2. JobiWan

Yeah, at a TI alloys fight the other night, it was like OS every 60 seconds for about 30 minutes. Totally kills the fun.
    • Up x 2
  3. Magma52

I'm all for that. Orbital Strikes were supposed to be a special thing that happened only occasionally, but they've ended up becoming a regular hindrance to the core gameplay. It's all very well giving the Minecraft enthusiasts and outfit loyalists their toys, but at the end of the day this game is an online FPS at its core. The moment that is hindered is the moment people just stop playing.

Having said all that, you should put stuff like this on Reddit. I don't think the devs look at these forums.
    • Up x 3
  4. waystin2

Too easily attained, and used too often. Had 3 in a row dropped onto a base Me and the Outfit were defending and they had a Bastion above us as well. Too much. A cooldown timer is a good idea or force the next OS to drop in a different sector.
    • Up x 2
  5. ZDarkShadowsZ

They should either have outfits the ability to call 'mini' versions of the OS, or disallow them completely and have them exclusively for base-building. I was sat at a base and trying to defend it, only for there to be 3 dropped in quick succession. I already have a hard time playing this game due to some of the gripes I have with it these days and this is just adding to the pile. The only thing that keeps me going at the moment is the population increase... which ends up getting killed off by the repeated OS's.
    • Up x 1
  6. Thk54

I think part of the problem is that they can be deployed directly from the map, I feel it would be better if the stuff was deployed via designator (like all the PMB stuff). Not sure if it should be possible to just obtain the designator any time or if you should have to go to a infantry terminal to grab it. i feel that would potentially reduce the orbital volume or at least potentially enable SOME counterplay (stalker infils will still be the best at deployment)
    • Up x 1
  7. Talthos

Like how Battlefield: Bad Company 2 used a designator for mortar strikes?
  8. Liewec123

they could atleast make it work like dropping a big explosive from above so it doesn't pierce through the entire map,
    atleast that way it wouldn't ruin base fights,
    though personally i'd rather they just disable it in no construct zones entirely.
    • Up x 4
  9. TRspy007

The problem is that the system is too general. Resources should be adapted to the size of an outfit, and their effectiveness in the field. A large outfit seen constantly getting resources should have the prices of war assets inflated, to prevent them from spamming them. Smaller outfits which rarely earn resources could have the costs reduced to help them compete with lager outfits.

I do think a cooldown in regards to how many orbital strikes can be placed in the same hex should be put in place.

If I were to express myself even more honestly, I think the bastion, orbital strikes and construction bring nothing to the game, and the routers/elysium spawn tubes should become war assets.
    • Up x 5
  10. SarahM

Having a factionwide or basewide limit on OS (e.g. cooldown timer) so you can at least try to get a sunderer repaired/relocated would be great.
    • Up x 1
  11. Trebb

Ok I just had a fight where it was used SEVEN TIMES within several minutes. I tried to get a strategic router for 3 of those then just gave up.

1) Increase the material cost by 3-4X.
    2) Somehow code a cooldown per base, so it's not spammed in the same fight
    3) DO NOT LET IT KILL ROUTERS, these are important for keeping the fight going. It's a brainless way to kill spawn points, which is bad for the game.

FIX ASAP please.
  12. iller

The Synthium cost of them is ALREADY too damned high! .... No the real problem is there's no Cooldown timer on crafting the damn things.

It's really infuriating even to be in an Outfit that's 2nd place in the overall War Leaderboard, and there's no goddamned f****ing resources to build ANYTHING because every other Officer has been spamming Orbitals all day! I'll also point out that they could have spent a FRACTION of the time and collaborative effort getting an Orbital off if they'd just spend 2k lousy certs on the Base Contruction one and rush-built a Silo inside the Hex they plan on going to next

It's like goddamned Cigarrettes man, If all you do is raise the Price, it's NOT going to stop the addicted morons. It's only going to make them poorer and unable to afford the Health Insurance they'll need later which means ALL OF US will have to shoulder even more of the increased Costs and burdens they're already putting on all of us collectively!
    • Up x 3
  13. Trebb

I hear ya! After putting up with even more abusive OS spam yesterday (5-6 at some larger fights) I'm 100% for removing this as a crafted item. Let base builders have it!
  14. Pelojian

this would be a good idea, each hex has a OS cooldown of 3 hours per faction.
    that way they can't be spammed unless one faction is continually being pushed back hex after hex.
    • Up x 1
  15. Botji

If they arent removed as a craftable then they should at least be reduced in scale by like 500%. Make it a high damage 'precision' OS instead of a base wiping "Oh you were outside the danger zone? well now you are 500m up in the air, GL!".

Best would be to remove them, construction OS at least has a looooooooong warning even before its charged up and is static which both limits the range it can be used at, how many OS that can called down on the same location(cant be built too close to each other) and provides a stationary target if you want to get rid of it before it can even be used.
    • Up x 1
  16. SolRG

MY god yes, I return after not playing for like three years and there are SO many orbital strikes, so so so many., all the damn time and they screw you over so much, usually wiping a good chunk of the troops outright, even survived one in a MAX, but died from the fall.
    Why are these in the game at all? Theres no skill in pointing a laser at one area and having the game just kill everyone for you.
  17. iller

I was just in a Base on Indar on friday night (pushing back out of our own Warpgate) that had 6 Orbitals dropped on it 3 minutes. I'm not exaggerating. And I think it was only 1-1/2 outfits even behind all these orbitals. We the infantry couldn't even fight eachother. I guess it was "okay" for me as a Necromancer Medic at the time, I still got my points in. But it was completely unproductive, it was like Sherltering in Place during a pandemic which is the last thing I think any of us want to be reminded of while engaged in our virdyogarrmes escapism here!

Again... Cost won't stop these Zergfits, only a Cooldown timer will
  18. badname123

Ehhh.. ill say it again. Orbital strike any fight and people just respawn and resume business as usual like any death.

quit trying to nerf **** and ruin peoples fun. nerf your self you filthy casual

have you tried the glaive artillery? people set them up quick and start shelling other peoples orbital strike uplinks. messes them up pretty good.

mister no counter guy. are you on the dev team by chance ? you seem to know as much about the game play as they do.
  19. Yavimaya

im guessing you play nc
  20. Trebb

I don't think you've actually read any of the posts in the thread.

Are you aware that the OS spam is not coming from enemy bases? Am I replying to a fully committed troll?