ZERGSCALATION UPDATE REMARKS

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TRspy007, Mar 13, 2020.

1. TRspy007

As I expected, I was a bit disappointed by the update. Sure, there's less bugs than usual (although the minimap zoom and the constant toggle of "show mission" in order to see the capture times is pretty annoying), but this patch has still brought up a few problems, and overall not added much to the gameplay:

• As an active veteran player, I'm not surprised by the bugs this update introduced. I'm not sure how a new/returning player would react; I'm not sure the update was polished enough for release (at least not as an update meant to attract and retain new players).
    • Overall, the outfit update has simply encouraged zerging. There are only a few outfits per server which have enough pop to do massive zergs (about 2 per faction). Before, bases didn't mean much. Now, these large outfits will zerg bases on multiple latices (trying to get the blue and purple ressources), and will instantly redeploy to defend their bases. This is an amplified issue of redeployside. A simple fight will easily turn into a 96+ zerg when the outfit owning the base sees it is losing it; suddenly all the pop will disappear when the base is secured, and move to defend a new base. This means no fun for people who simply want a fun and fair fight.
    • Aside from encouraging zerging, the update also removed the cert and iso reward for winning an alert. While this change is getting fixed, it is at the detriment of a faction. "Meltdown alerts once again grant 250 certs and 300 ISO-4 for a victory, and will grant 150 certs and 150 ISO-4 for a loss.
      • UPDATE: VS will receive no A7 for a loss or runner-up in a Meltdown alert. We're currently looking into this issue. (Fight hard, VS!)"
      • This quote taken by the devs explains how the patch will completely remove prizes for VS. Lets hope this is fixed soon, but I do not like the idea of handicapping one faction. A patch that adds (known) issues of solving them shouldn't be implemented in servers, especially not at the detriment of one faction like stated.
    • Finally, the sanctuary. The only purpose of the sanctuary is to collect some alert rewards and harvest resources from expeditions, all of which could have simply been conducted through the main menu. Sure, a ton of people came to check it out on the first day, but it's already empty only a day after the patch. This feels like a huge waste of resources that could have been directed to Oshur, bug fixes, skinning the vehicles to make them all faction specific in looks, improvements to map flow or simply just improving the daily experience. Instead, this is just a place people will be forced to go to collect items they want, and with the queues still in existence, they will likely be stuck in the sanctuary against their will.
    In the end, the only interesting change from the update asides the alert weapons not being unlocked simply through chance is the fact cloaked infiltrators/flashes will no longer be able to flip points. Finally, a change that has been requested forever. Although infiltrators can still capture points, cloak and sit on them, then uncloak to capture again. But maybe the first steps forward to removing a certain kind of trolling?
    • Up x 3
  2. T-G-K

Zergs are never going away
    No matter what you add, change, or remove, zergs will always be a fact without losing the core of what separates PS2 from every other shooter in the world, which is:

Massive pop limits per continent.
    Sandbox capacity to do and go where you want without restriction or artificial limitation

The only way to remove zergs, is to remove those two things. But if you remove either, its no longer PS2. This update only encourages more players to be part of outfits and platoons, which will, as a result, create larger chaotic fights than before with maybe a bit more incentive to do so with a group instead of solo.
    if you really hate zergs, this will never be the game for you
  3. Johannes Kaiser

Biggest problem in my opinion is it makes outfits into rivals. Before they worked together, now they are competing over base ownership. And while the big ones might get along by dividing lanes between themselves, the smaller ones simply can not compete.
    I'd suggest that every outfit that helped capture a base gets a share of the passive resource gain.
    And that base defense also yields resources. Because only offense counting is simply stupid.
    • Up x 6
  4. Lord_Avatar

Good. A zerg spread across several lanes is no longer a zerg.
    Also good. Fights are fun - ghostcapping isn't.
    • Up x 1
  5. Johannes Kaiser

We (UAX) just got Eisa captured. Then the VS took it back, while we had 24-48 warpgate warriors. Once we lost it, BHO swooped in and got it for themselves.
    This system is so ****** up and ******, pitting us against one another, making us refuse to help others for gain. We didn't want to do that. Although from now on WE will refuse to help THEM, but frankly based on this grudge and nothing else.
    • Up x 2
  6. TRspy007

Not sure you read the post correctly.
  7. TRspy007

Yes, also the point I was trying to convey. Outfits only care about bases if they own them, and will let bases be captured only to recapture them moments later to own ressources for themselves.

Turned the game into a free for all, where there’s competition between people of the same faction. Not very fun, and there’s no way for smaller outfits to actually earn the rarer resources due to this.

The larger outfits will Zerg bases owned by smaller outfits which don’t have the pop to defend them, then will redeploy across the map to steal and defend bases, looking for resources.

Not sure this patch was thought out through.
    • Up x 1
  8. Johannes Kaiser

Update: They now lost it to a double-team from hell, they got about 90 minutes worht of resources from their sumbaggery.
    • Up x 1
  9. OneShadowWarrior

Pretty fair assessment.

As a Veteran player of both PS 1 and 2. There was nothing exciting in this update besides a few fixes, they need more fixes, more server upgrades more optimizations.

Unfortunately the game is older than a Playstation 4 and they are already moving on to 5. Battlefield concept for this game I do believe has reached it’s zenith.
    • Up x 1
  10. TRspy007

Yeah I think this game reached its peak when they added Hossin, and after that things pretty much deteriorated.

But usually games die before they reach 4 years, this one is still doing ok. I like to keep hope, even though I don’t get much reason to preserve the way the game is managed.
  11. iller

Couldn't have said it better myself...

...Though MOST of it should come from Defense, not Capture since Capturing in and of itself is the default REPTILE brain stimulus to most players and especially for power hungry wannabe Commander type people who always jockey to put themselves in officer positions... The Meta was already slanted too much towards capturing and now it's just become Player VS. Point-Timer.
    • Up x 2
  12. Demigan

Gee, upgrading outfits is a negative thing and not supportive of teamwork? Who could have guessed...
    • Up x 1
  13. Liewec123

wait until outfits all start getting the resources and there is a bastion fleet carrier up 24/7,
    we thought orbital strikes were obnoxious and ruined the fun?
    just wait...
    videos are already coming in, this guy got 400+ kill streak and THOUSANDS more gunner assists.
    for...right-clicking on the map.

probably funny to see the first time but its gonna get real old, real fast.
    • Up x 2
  14. TRspy007

Yeah this is what I feared. The large zergfits are the only ones who will actually farm enough ressources to pull these war assets on demand, and the smaller outfits will not be able to compete. Another thing to troll fights, and one more air vehicle that dominates everything.

Very odd how the devs nerf tank rounds and rocket launchers, yet have no problem with air shredding everything.
    • Up x 1
  15. JobiWan

I think zergfits are getting an advantage. On Miller last night, DIG were stomping all over every one through sheer weight of numbers and seemed to have OS every few minutes.

We had a full platoon and tried a max crash to dislodge them from a base and they hit the whole max crash with an OS and killed us all. It's exciting gameplay, but I do feel as if the bigger the outfit, the more advantage they have, and it needs more balancing.
    • Up x 1
  16. Johannes Kaiser

Whenever small outfits take a base with a lot of work, they get zerged out within seconds of taking it. And noone helps defending. When it's lost, the next "allied" (using it in the widest possible sense, read as "technically wearing more or less the same color") zerg comes along and takes it.
    Leaving everyone else in the dust, cursing those annoying spoilfuns (on both sides, though being all but openly attacked by "allies" does hurt more) to just please rot on the spot.

I used to think this update might be what the game needed: Outffit-promoting new content, with likely a few downsides along the way. These days I think this is the worst that could have happened to anyone who is not in one of those scumbagging friggin' zergfits. Before it cutting out one's work was hard enough, nowadays you are actively sought out by enemies as well as "allies" - who are just closet-enemies - as prey. It's pretty hard to phrase the contempt one feels when one (with at that moment 6 players) is pushed out of a base by 45 enemies 2 min affter taking it, only to have the base recapped by 60 "allies" 1 minute after the base changing hands.
    • Up x 1