[Suggestion] MAX HEIGHT LIBERATORS

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TRspy007, Mar 9, 2020.

1. TRspy007

I don't like complaining about how none of the launchers except the decimator kill stuff, how AA doesn't work and how we need faction specific reskins for every NS vehicle, but something needs to be done about MAX height dalton libs destroying armor with no counter.

Nerf the optics on the dalton in order for the gunner to not be able to see anything past 1000m, or simply prevent liberators from reaching such heights (make MAX height lower for the liberator than anything else). Or make the dalton round simply disappear/have significant dropoff after a certain range. Kind of like what the lol pods or AI nosegun do.

We simply don't have the ability to counter MAX height aircraft with any of the AA weapons. Most can't get an angle, locks don't work unless the aircraft is within knifing distance, bursters fade off or do insignificant damage at such height...

Basically everyone who is not manning and air vehicle is powerless to do anything. And ofc the dudes have hyenas on their liberator to shred any esf that comes to get them.

I'm just tired of seeing this cancerous "gameplay", where a MAX height lib destroys all the armor (the deployed sunderers) in bases without garages, effectively killing the fight.

If asking to do something about G2A is too much to ask, can we at least get a fix for MAX height dalton lib trolls?
    • Up x 1
  2. LodeTria

A max height lib has to predict your movement for 2+ seconds, 4 at the maximum in northern indar. If your ground vehicle is getting hit it's because you aren't moving.

You can also use stealth bus to be invisible to aircraft beyond 200m+ since sunderer's seem to be your only concern in this "It killed me nerf it" whinge post.
  3. Demigan

There's many reasons not to be moving much. For example when repairing, or doing the tactic of popping up behind cover, firing a few shots and then falling back to repair that 99% of the players use. If they could move and then the danger is over it wouldnt be a problem, but this danger remains ever present. Although usually not at 1000m height ofcourse. Still besides "move and pray" there is practically no defense against them. Beyond 400m a Liberator might as well be invulnerable to flak sources, lock-ons dont have that range and things like the Walker have got a 75% damage reduction if I recall. Ofcourse that is ignoring the fact that equipping G2A sources nerfs you heavily against everything else, something aircraft and AV sources dont really suffer from as most AV can still murder infantry just fine.
  4. DarkStarAnubis

Buff G2A wouldn't work because it would (as usual) alter other balances - you need a specific counter against Liberators that works well against high altitude/big and slow moving targets and works bad against low altitude/fast moving and nimble targets.

So a SAM system firing a not-so-fast/not-so-agile but longer-reaching missile and make it available:

1. In bases, replacing one or more fixed turrets
    2. as a chassis variant on common pool Lightning

Something like this graphically (ignore the fact the Crotale is a CIWS please, it just to give an idea of what I mean):
    [IMG]

This SAM variant of the Lightning would be practically defenseless against any ground threat and not so effective against ESF - it must be protected by other vehicles (it is always good to promote cooperation in PS2).

A couple of hits should kill a Lib. Tweak the lock-on time to make it more or less lethal.
  5. AbsinthSvK

it will be fun as now skyguard. you kill that 1 liberator and spawn something usefull because with your suggestion it will be useless agains other vehicles. Why so complicated? Just reduce liberator resistances and its done.
  6. xMeserionx

The way the balance works for many vehicles has to with how many people it takes to effectively use them. A Liberator generally requires 2 players to effectively use it as a weapons platform, and as such It takes atleast 2 sources of AA to effectively counter the Liberator.

Concerning the fact air does not die instantly like infantry when exposed to AA or lock-ons: Not only does air cost resources to pull (infantry effectively costs nothing), but air vs. air battles are drawn out where the focus is on avoidance and skillful aim. The way the balance works, is When engaging any Air or Armor, Infantry have their damage scaled back to respect the conventional rules of engagement, and in the case of A2G damage dealt to them is adjusted based on their rules of engagement (for air, direct hits are like headshots and more headshots means faster kills).
  7. Wadelma

I agree. Max height libs are immune to infantry and bursters if they're directly overhead thanks to gimbal lock prevention and skyguards are not terribly effective at that range either giving it ample time to return fire. ESF become the most effective counter but most people don't have the experience or certs in their vehicles to go after them reliably so they suck it up and keep getting farmed letting the lib hang in the air for extended periods of time.

Personally I would be a huge fan of reducing the projectile velocity in the Dalton to reduce its effectiveness in A2A and long range sniping against slightly moving targets. Alternatively add enough damage drop-off so that the lib needs to come down to lock-on range to be effective as a risk vs reward kind of play. Having flown in one again it feels like Dalton hits too hard and can be cheesed, rest of the lib feels alright honestly.
  8. Pikachu

Makes me think of this. :D 9K330 Tor.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  9. TRspy007

Oh great idea bud. Because our only worry is air, we'll get a stealth bus.

Unfortunately, since not all of us main air, our problem isn't just pilots, we also have to defend the spawn from C4, mines and the wrel rifle. (I'll give you a hint, the stealth bus might be good to hide against max height libs, but doesn't do much against anything else).

Also who cares whether it takes 1 second, 2 or 60 for his dalton to reach the ground. The point is he can shoot ground players while they can't shoot back.