Why PS2 is a doomed cash cow (Like the others)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OpolE, Feb 29, 2020.

1. OpolE

If you didn't come from Planetside 1 era you should know these things.

1. DBG / SOE. Yes I mention SONY have always had the same mentality when it comes to games. Make something great and do whatever they want with it without much care. See where it goes and throw an expansion into the mix. (You have heard of Matrix Online / SWG / PS1 / EQ / h1z1...... The list goes on. They all had 2/3 of the player base quit right after. I'm not saying this will happen with this rubbish update they are bringing. Nothing on the scale. HILARIOUS)

2. We can see DBG have a habit of clearing out high levels of dev's. I give it till after this update or potentially a 2nd update later in summer until 90% of the dev team are fired an it's back into a bad state.

3. Your forum posts aren't read anymore by devs. Otherwise my constant years of talking about PLANETSIDE 1 EMULATOR would be removed each week. Radar-dev once gave my account a black mark for mentioning PSForever. Now nothing. Brilliant

4. Finally did you know all you really are is an experiment and a cash cow. Yes the game can be enjoying at times and is FTP but no one is achieving anything solid! And no one has true power to control and stop an attack on a rightfully owned base or continent. You are wasting your days sat behind your PC.

I ASK YOU THIS: WHEN HAVE YOU EVER BEEN PASSIONATE ABOUT TELLING A NON-PS FRIEND OR FAMILY ABOUT A TIME YOU PLAYED PS IN A TEAM AND EMPIRE AND HELD A CONTINENT FOR WEEKS ON END FROM 2 OTHER EMPIRES......... NEVER

WELCOME TO PLANETSIDE 1.
    • Up x 2
  2. Cyropaedia

1. EQ1 is still going strong. They have tens of thousands of players on that game. DCUO is a popular IP.

2. The gaming industry has a high turnover of games and devs in general.

3. Planetside 2's F2P is actually very generous. I can play F2P really without the urge/need to sub. I want the game to survive so I am happy with the current shop/microtransaction model.
    • Up x 3
  3. Katshina

i think the progression model itself is way too slow and punishing to new players and most players in general, but i do not think the monetization therein is a real issue, im fine with it too, but i'd like a large chunk of the weapons in the game to have their cert costs cut, maybe even give vehicles and infantry/max several starting weapon options so you dont feel like you need to play for 3 weeks before you're comftorable even pulling your first max

another option would just be to do more double xp events, or just increase cert gain across the board more
    • Up x 1
  4. Johannes Kaiser

That would get people to play a bit more often, I'm for it. And it wouldn't be much work implementing that, I assume.
    • Up x 1
  5. Halo572

I can only imagine how frightening it must have been for you to have been in a coma for the past 8 years and to wake up in what must be a bewildering and unfamiliar world, especially with a pandemic event not seen for nearly a century.

And PS2 must have made a massive impact upon you before the event that caused your coma to still be obsessed with what is a dead, back water game that no one actually cares about and hasn't for a long time.

Another shock - while you are in 2012 still everyone else moved on to other things years ago leaving the handful of your fellow enthusiasts to keep the flame alive.

I hope you receive the care and support that losing nearly a decade of your life must need for you to be able to cope and that you can catch the rest of us up quickly and understand that most people who ever played this game knew 5+ years ago.
    • Up x 4
  6. ObiVanuKenobi

As if playing PS1 was time any more usefully spent than any other game.
    Because it would be weird. And if you don't realize they don't care you're obsessed.
    • Up x 3
  7. OpolE

Hows things going? 1 month in.

Last 30 Days
    -5.36 %
  8. NotziMad

for a 8 year old game, I'd say it's doing pretty well, and if anything, "doom" is quite a way in the future.

I mean just the number of players, it's more than doubled since Escalation.

There aren't that many games alive and active today that can celebrate 8 whole years of existence...
    • Up x 1
  9. OneShadowWarrior

Until a replacement comes for Planetside, there is no substitute.
  10. ican'taim

Where'd you get those stats?
    Steamcharts:

[IMG]

Fisu:

[IMG]

Quite well actually.
    • Up x 3