Aircraft controls: yaw with a mouse?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dragoniel, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Skraggz

It's ok, if you get a program that functions properly you will most likely get a community backing. I dont suggest the forums but rather reddit if you do make said program. Devs are active on there not the forums.
  2. blackboemmel

It's not funny that you are using me as an example for people who deny the possibility, the need to introduce the possibility of choosing between: yaw on the mouse, rotation on the keyboard and vice versa. :confused:

Here is what i said:
    "I'd be happy if the devs would just throw out what you desire."

I also explained why it would make no sense. Trying again:
    There is almost NO yaw movement in PS2. If you want to make a U-turn with yaw, and put it on the mouse, you'd have to wave your mouse over the keyboard for more than 10 seconds. The mouse feeling would be extremely odd: Move mouse horizontally: Nothing happens. Move mouse vertically: Plane (especially ESFs) overreacts.
    Rolling is very fast and needs to be fine tuned for advanced movement. Only very, very few gamers could do this with "rolling" on keys: Video

I'm sorry that i wasn't able to explain my point without making you think i'd be "aggressive". I'm just a salty vet that knows everything better... :rolleyes:
  3. adamts01

There's almost no yaw in real life either. Games such as Warthunder and Arma that use "yaw" on the mouse actually combine roll and pitch to move the aircraft right or left. But, when you learn to fly in Warthunder and Arma the very fist thing any tutorial will tell you to do is uncouple that combined movement and put pitch and roll on your mouse. That said, I don't see any reason why that arcade system shouldn't be an option here. It'll kill anyone's ability to use hover mode, and will hold them back in the end, but to each their own.
  4. Ancalagon

LET.
    ME.
    USE.
    YAW.
    WITH.
    THE.
    MOUSE.
    X AXIS.

WHY is this not fixed? This thread is from 2014. It's EIGHT YEARS OLD. How in 8 years can such a simplistic, menial issue be completely overlooked?

You want new players in this game?

Then fix these hardcoded, nonsense limitations which complete deviate from ALL OTHER GAMES WITH FLIGHT CONTROLS.

Jesus H. Christ it's so sad that such a great game has these absolutely atrocious and counter-intuitive control setups.

If you like to roll with mouse X axis then great! Good for you! Happy you have what you need.

For those of us that absolutely hate roll with mouse X axis... give us the option to change it... just like we can change to inverted mouse Y axis for the pitch.

Why in the seven hells is this still an issue in 2022 when it was already brought up in 2014?
    • Up x 1
  5. Demigan

1: You can alter the Yaw speed depending on the user using keyboard or mouse. The reason Yaw seems to be hampered is purely because it was tied to the Keyboard, not for any balance reasons. Even then it's weird that the Yaw is much less capable than up/down.
    2: Even if the Yaw is still crappy... So what? Why not let people pick the "crappy" option if it gives them the controls they want?
    3: Why? I've rolled in games like GTA and Just Cause using keyboards, works like a charm. The only time it doesn't work like a charm is when you lose control to fine-tune your nose in the Yaw direction because it's tied to a keyboard which gives you more control of where you'll end up after a roll. And you know what would fix that? Making the Yaw bound to the mouse and the roll to the keyboard.
    • Up x 1
  6. GreenCZ

Totaly Agree!!!!!!!!
    Planetside Devs, do something already! This must be a simpel fix for it. This is really pain.
    • Up x 1
  7. OSruinedPS1

8 years later and these fight controls are still just as annoying and unintuitive. Or is that 10 years later?