Battle Scoreboard should display ping

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OneShadowWarrior, Jan 21, 2020.

1. OneShadowWarrior

I don’t need to see everyones ping but a snapshot of players ping on the battle scoreboard would settle things quite nicely.

I think it would help as a tool to see if it’s performance related or lag as a gauge to see how things are going.

The big complaint for instance on Connery at Prime time is people with high ping times destroying the fun for everyone else.

What do you guys think?
    • Up x 5
  2. adamts01

Yes. But this isn't entirely the player's fault. I travel between the US and Asia and am either closer to Soltech or Emerald, but my characters are all on Connery. I'm not grinding from scratch, and I'm certainly not buying more heroic boosts for new characters. They need to have an option to transfer characters combined with some sort of ping limit, even if it's 400ms.
  3. Johannes Kaiser

Character transfer in general would be nice. I know ~5 people who'd jump on this game again were it possible to move their chars between servers, even as a one-time thing.
  4. Atorum

No, players with poor and bad connection should be automatically kicked from the game.
  5. Demigan

Also add this to the deathscreen? with a comparison to their own ping? Often players say "oh my god he must have been lagging!" and ignore that they might have experienced a spike themselves or that there might not have been lag.

On the other hand this might just feed bias and people will think with every single death by a higher ping player that it was purely by the lag, so maybe not.
  6. OneShadowWarrior

Drools at that statement.

Players with poor or bad connection kicked. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
  7. OneShadowWarrior

Addition of being able to see ping on death screen another great idea!
  8. Rooklie

call me noob, but I've sometimes played with very high ping because I forgot to stop my torrents and I couldn't see any advantage?

In fact, isn't it the opposite? I mean players with low ping have an advantage? (which is why many use ping boosting vpns?)
  9. OneShadowWarrior

You know it’s been a interesting rant from the Veterans on Connery Server I hear all the time, they gripe about Asian players at prime time hours after 6pm West Coast time. The common complaint is they warp, can’t be hit because they stutter or move to fast or the client hit detection isn’t working because it takes so many shots to take a person with high ping down or your dead before you know the shots are hitting you.

So I run Emerald during the prime times and there might be some truth to this, because when I run higher ping on the West Coast and they are on the East. It does appear the shots when they hit them hit faster than they can react. Meanwhile when they shoot, I appear to move faster than they can get them on target.

I have a better kill death at higher pings on East Coast, than being based on a West Coast Server direct.

TTK - Time to Kill is one of the biggest issues in game, I don’t think anyone has fun when they die before they can react.
  10. Scroffel5

You guys are kind of stupid. When your ping is SUPER high, like 1k or higher and holding steady, then everything you do is 1 second behind. If you have a sniper rifle, for instance, you can headshot people and 1 second later, they will die. If their ping is at 300 or so, all that means is that if you shoot at them first, they can't get away. They only have the advantage if they shoot at you first, whereas if you have the low ping, you have the advantage if you are getting attacked but not necessarily when you are attacking. Lets put it this way.

You have 1 ping and they have 500. If you peak out on your screen, you peaked out to the server, however the person with 500 ping hasn't seen it until 0.5 seconds has passed. Your damage registers instantly, and you will take them down before they have truly seen you, supposing your TTK is 0.5 seconds or less. However, that means that if they are peaking you, you won't see them for another 0.5 seconds. However, their damage is going to take 0.5 seconds to register too, so even if, after they peak and you finally see them and the damage starts coming in, you still have the chance to kill them, but you will probably die even if you do kill them, depending on how much damage they got on you while you weren't able to see them. That ping is doable. You guys should be mad at the super high ping, not just 300, and if they got all the hits on you anyways, whether or not they would have had ping advantage doesn't matter in a type of game like this. They probably woulda gotten the damage if they had the low ping too. Its just a placebo effect, and even so, it allows you to be able to kill them since they do have the high ping, just it'll be after you die.