* Cry in NC MAX Shield *

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Leidz, Dec 19, 2019.

1. iller

No it usually goes to Vanu who are most often the WINNING faction.
    This is reportedly or possibly because of population weighting which has NOTHING to do with territory control and the Devs need to admit it and stop keeping real Transparency on the issue hidden from us
  2. Liewec123

its VERY hit and miss.
    sometimes i raise the shield, face the c4 and die anyway,
    sometimes i raise the shield, face the c4 and the shield takes all of the damage.

its better than nothing though, it's still currently the only max ability that can (sometimes) counter c4.

i tried activating the NSO max bubble (which apparently reduces damage by 60%) while i was at full hp the other night,
    and c4 still oneshot me.

i do think for pushing into rooms the NSO bubble is way better though,
    when they're spraying at your team and you're eating ALL of the bullets at 60% reduced damage.
    • Up x 1
  3. JibbaJabba

Bro.

Are you frickin' Hellen Keller or something?

What hypothetical bullcrap situation are you throwing at me to try and prove some point?

You have a comms issue. I do not.

You should probably sort all of this crap out. Your comms issue doesn't have anything to do with the NSO shield being OP or not.

If we apply your circumstances elsewhere in the game we'll find things like harassers needing a buff because driver and gunner aren't working well together.

I cannot account for your issues in this discussion. Sorry.

I personally don't type and really won't notice if someone else does. I use ingame voice for pubbies, but really if I'm trying to get something done I'm with my outfit mates. We're always on the teamspeak (discord audio is a backup but the quality particularly in larger groups is poor).
    Deaf, dumb, AND blind??? c'mon man.
    /smh
    Here's how you do it.
    1. Tell your homies you're going to do a shield push. Tell them to fall in behind rep, conc ahead, and protect from C4 fairies as best they can. Some people will do this, some will suck and won't. Perfection is not needed.
    2. Start with your back to the wall in the crescent building, pick a walkway.
    3. Shield up, announce the push, start walking towards the door. No further comms needed.
    4. It will take a moment to reach the door and in that time 2nd max forms in beside you, shield up.
    5. You walk across the bridge side by side and tight. That's it.
    Folks in your squad should know what to do (because you communicated). Pubbies nearby will quickly see what's happening.

Don't try to make some crisp military maneuver out of it. It's gonna be sloppy, you'll take some fire at the edges, an LA may get through and drop one or more of you by the time you hit the door. But the push of people behind you will go through.

If you are not running with an outfit that can pull this off, switch outfits.

It's but a tiny trick in a bag of many.

So you're telling me you run repair on your NC Max instead of the Aegis shield??
    And you would choose the NSO shield over the Aegis?

Alrighty then.

Let's just wind it down ok? You have your opinion, I have mine. :D

Not giving you a citation. Go dig in the patch notes if you want. OR just have a buddy help you test it on live. It works now in great contrast to when it worked unreliably or never before. See C4 or a grenade? Put your crosshairs on it, or otherwise keep your crosshairs just below level (gap at bottom makes it fail). It ain't gonna save you if you walk over it though :p
  4. Campagne

"What hypothetical situation" am I making? One where the MAX is shot at. Is that such an incomprehensible thing for you? You think no one will shoot at the shield?

I was going to draw you a diagram in paint, but honestly you'd have to be choosing not to understand at this point.

Just go ahead and find a friend to play with and test it out yourself. Without exerting a stupid amount of effort or planning, use two NC MAXes to do what one NSO MAX can do without opening holes or exposing allies.

Players can't look beside themselves while facing forwards, so it would be literally impossible to know where the other MAX is if moving in unison. That's kind of an issue when trying to adapt on the fly.

The rest of this is just the usual strawman. Do you people get off on creating false arguments?

Show me where either of us discussed with each other in this thread where the NSO's shield's balance was in question. No, you're making stupid baseless claims and as always someone had to point that out.

Second part of your strawman is virtually anything to do with communications. Because typing doesn't work in a situation where constant movement is required somehow I specifically can't communicate effectively? Once again I have literally never described this as an issue, only pointed out that it doesn't happen with any kind of frequency.

When the very first thing you do is resort to strawmanning and baseless "insults" the case doesn't look so good for you.

1. Mass recruitment requirements greatly impede the purpose and benefit of this strategy. It would simply be easier and far more effective to just tell everyone to bum-rush the room in question. Secondly, imperfections negate the purpose. A wall with holes in it does little.
    2. You're just pulling a random building plan out of your ***. You say I create hypothetical situations "try and prove some point" yet do just that. No where in this thread have either of us even mentioned any specifics of any sort. What crescent building? Stop, think, and formulate an argument or situation from the beginning.
    3. Start the push then have it fall apart with a complete lack of cohesion. A group of mostly random players all without the ability to talk to each other mid-action, all vying for their own selfish goals, all blocking shots and getting in the way. Again, please demonstrate this yourself.
    4. As above, you're pulling an artificial situation out of your butthole without giving any prior background or establishing shot. Get your ideas down on "paper" before planing what happens next.
    5. As above.
    Pubbies don't know what's happening when there are two people shooting each other at point blank and one of them is on their team. Or how about when someone is waving a flashlight around? You think they'll somehow get the idea of this grandiose plan without ever being a part of the planning an without communication? I almost wish I had such a blind, foolish optimistic view of others.

Sloppy maneuver, sloppy results.

And again, why? Why go through all the planning and effort when one or two NSO MAXes can just walk in with the shield active and achieve roughly the same thing without a second thought?

No, I'm telling you I would, if I ever used MAXes. I don't, really never have and probably never will. Much less the crapshoot that is the NC MAX.

Aw. Wind it down? But it was just getting fun. :rolleyes:

Failure to support a dubious claim is the same thing as admitting it's false. Your claim, your burden of proof. If you can't support it, I will assume you're lying for an argument.
  5. pnkdth

TL;DR: The shield works against C4.
    • Up x 3
  6. Campagne

Interesting, thanks!

Doesn't totally protect against the blast in most cases, not what I'd have expected. Didn't show how the shield's activation delay can come into effect though.

It's a little dated as well. July of 2018 is well over a year ago. I'd like to see how things are affected by latency and lag in large fights, but good enough as evidence.

I don't suppose you've got the patch notes?
    • Up x 1
  7. pnkdth

Found it by accident when looking up the shield on the wiki (https://planetside.fandom.com/wiki/June_6,_2019_Update) it also correlates with reddit threads how the AEGIS shield had been broken in a patch awaiting the aforementioned patch. As such the wiki is inaccurate when claiming the shield does not block C4 or explosives (though that entry is dated in 2017 and the video I posted is from 2018). In other words, some time between the wiki entry and iridar's test video it was fixed.
    • Up x 1
  8. JibbaJabba

YOU were the one that made the claim that the shield doesn't protect against C4.

But… you seem like a guy not willing to assume the best intentions in others so piss off. :)

"assume you're lying"... indeed.

You're wrong about a whole lot more here but I'm done with you. Good luck getting your nerf/buff or whatever your goal is.
  9. Campagne

Sorry friend-boy, that doesn't have a citation. I can't provide a patch note for something that isn't listed anywhere and is default. As provided by pnkdth, the NC MAX's shield did not originally protect against explosives. Therefore one would assume it to be common knowledge in the absence of the contrary that nothing had changed. Is it not (flawed) common knowledge, given the only presented patch notes were a singe line under the miscellaneous changes of a very small update?

Honestly, I feel we ought to spread the word out.

You made a claim that something was changed from the long-standing default, you have to provide evidence to prove this standard has changed. Also didn't see anything regarding mines, only C4. I'd be interested whether looking at a mine while walking over it would do anything or not.

If I said some shotguns are free now, I'd have to show the patch notes indicating this as they weren't free by default and haven't been for the majority of the game's lifespan.

Assume the best intentions? Surely you must be joking. I assume you think little of me and my opinions and positions, as evidenced by your constant attempts at insult. I assume you would be as great an opposition as possible, which you subsequently have been. (Strawmanning, cutting out large segments of my post then saying I'm wrong without saying why...)

My goal is simply to describe reality. The NSO's MAX shield ability cuts into the purpose of the NC MAX's shield. This is more or less fact, the only subjectivity is to what degree. You dispute this, I argue the opposite. I don't want anything buffed or nerf'd, because I quite frankly don't really care about the NC's shield ability and I don't know much of anything about the NSO MAX yet.

That's really it, you're making some huge production out it. You said the NC's shield is "essentially invulnerable," it's not. You say the MAX can reload while "invulnerable," but ignore all the weaknesses of the shield. You create some elaborate maneuver to form a shield wall and use this as justification to say the NC's shield is "the best by far," yet expect unrealistic amounts of effort to achieve what can already be done at random by both the NC & NSO MAXes.

The partial protection against explosives does make the NC's shield a lot better in my eyes, but it's still quite limited in application and usefulness and isn't enough to overcome the massive difficulties of the weakened shotguns, nor does it serve a significant purpose on its own.

And just a final closing thought... You tell me to piss off yet you abandon the argument? :p
  10. JibbaJabba

I'm abandoning the argument because you are tiresome and won't admit when you are wrong. What is the point? Look at ya. Still trying to flip it back to me. I said Aegis blocks C4, you said it doesn't.

You've got other things wrong but the sheer effort you require to converse just isn't worth my time. Maybe someone else will go look it up for you like they did here. Dunno.

So yeah, I'm done. You win! Your prize is ignorance...

Be more open minded and less argumentative next time and you'll learn something. I mean heck, you learned about C4 today. There were other things you COULD have learned.
  11. Campagne

How sweet it is to taste this irony.

No, everything else you've said is contentious at best. You happen to be right about one thing which you couldn't even prove yourself. I'm honestly not totally sure you even knew if it was the case or not, given the way you carried your words.

If anything else was at all even remotely incorrect it wouldn't take any time to point any of it out. "The sky is purple, but I'm not going to convince you. It would take too long. Just look it up yourself."

Hilariously, if anything I got more out of this than I expected. The usual entertainment of discussion plus a patch note, though as I said little changes as far as I'm concerned.

The funny thing about having an open mind is that people will try to fill it. :rolleyes: I forget where that paraphrased quote comes from... But otherwise, you hurl abuse and insults at me and as always you say I'm being argumentative because I refuse to concede to a faulty argument without merit or support. You pull nonsense out of your *** and ignore all counter arguments, and debate with fake positions rather than face what I've actually said. Until next time, then.

Otherwise all I "could have learned" is more anecdotal bits of human nature. You've contributed nothing as far as a discussion goes, and I'm fairly certain the only thing you could ever teach me is patience through adversity. :p
  12. ican'taim

aaaand what were we talking about again?
  13. NCLH

NC Max ist mostly rediculous due to its guns. Just compare damage/second with the other factions.

Also NC Max Shotguns arent allowed to oneshot at any range while semi-automatic headshot-rifles get sold...
  14. rsonny

[IMG]
  15. AllRoundGoodGuy

It only happened once, but I remember once back in the day I was defending a base as NC max. A point was in a building up on a hill from spawn, there was a couple maxes in a building down below taking cover. I had decided that I had enough and equipped my aegis shield with the intent of making to A or die trying. It was one of the coolest feelings seeing 3-4 other maxes decide to follow me and form a line. I can't remember if we held the base or not, but I can imagine the TR scum's reaction to seeing a blue wall approaching.
    • Up x 2
  16. pnkdth

This put a smile on my face. Really wish it would be easier to communicate intent to those nearby with contextual voice commands or a dropdown menu with a countdown for pushes and other more situational commands.
    • Up x 1
  17. NCLH

Just for example> 1306 is not the dps of the Hacksaw because you didnt calculate the reloadtime.
    Having to reload 2 Seconds every :eek: >> 9 Shots << will propably lower the dps of the Hacksaw zu maybe being equal to the Onslaught.
    Keeping in mind that this only counts for the first 8 meters gives you the real circumstance of the NC Max.
  18. JibbaJabba

With pubbies it's tough. The local voicechat can be a nightmare. It's why we have squads/platoons/outfiths though.

But yeah, you see few maxes shielding up shoulder to shoulder and pushing towards a door, you know what's up. :)
  19. Clipped!

Personally, NC's Aegis shield could use a small extension to the bottom and side edges so their feet are covered and has a little better coverage from a 30 degree angle. Not to mention slightly less pull up/put away time to help account for latency or a bit more movement speed while active would be nice. Would also be nice to have some adjustments to the Defector bubble and the Prowler's deployment shield to make them have separate health sources rather than just increasing their hit box, and have allies be able to shoot through them with both large and small projectiles (bullets and rockets respectively) without causing damage to the barrier. All other basically all other games have done this at least in some aspect, even in Halo where it didn't allow friendly shots to pass through it still had it's own health bar rather than the players.

I'm just asking for some quality of life improvements is all, nothing major.
    • Up x 1