Vehicle Physics Are Garbage

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NCLH, Jan 7, 2020.

1. NCLH

- Sunderers and FNTs tend to fall aside or tumble and then take hugh amounts of damage
    - Sunderers and Lightnings have rediculously low grip on the ground << compare this to real chain or 6x6 Military Vehicles makes this embarrassing
    - In general Vehicles tend to tumble when driving fast or downhill wich ruins the game. Imagine being chased by an enemy and your vehicle destroying itself due to tumbling around.
    • Up x 2
  2. ObiVanuKenobi

Have you tried looking where you're going? Just because there's a cliff doesn't mean you have to drive off it.
    • Up x 1
  3. PlanetBound

Sailing off a cliff is a coin toss. If you go over at the right spot it isn't too bad. The straight drop from high never works out.
    • Up x 1
  4. JibbaJabba

Dude the physics are already bent to compensate for bad driving.

The real physics said your sunderer was supposed to flip over because of the bad driving you did, but the game self-rights the sunderer for you under all but the most extreme circumstances.

I think you should drive better :D
  5. Terrince

I've read this 3 times and I still don't see where NCLH talked about falling/driving off a cliff. He did say

"In general Vehicles tend to tumble when driving fast or downhill witch ruins the game."
    == Driving fast and driving downhill ==

For me, speed management is key.
    Yeah the tanks do seem too slippy and Sunderers are just top heavy. I think the seemingly smooth terrain causes the random tumbles. Can't tell you how many times I've been driving just fine and suddenly go two wheel'en!

As for other physics, how about when you ram/RUN OVER a flash with a harasser and it doesn't explode...
  6. iller

ANT Physics are superb... I've gotten mine up onto tricky ledges I couldn't even maneuver a Liberator into.
    Harassers physics are just plain Overpowered & brain dead easy to drive, they need a nerf TBH.
    Sunderer & MBT's are limited for a REASON.

If you really really really want a Sundy up on a sketchy plateau that tanks can't normally get to, then unlock a Vehicle terminal and build a Silo up there first. Everywhere else... the Sundy is supposed to move slowly or be difficult to steer because it's a frikkin' Clown Car that unlimited numbers of infantry can spawn out of. CHANGING that would require a whole new round of balance tweaks to Air to Ground weapons to make up for the increase difficulty of hitting the damn Bus
  7. NCLH

Im talking about on-road driving.

I can also add that that if you exit a vehicle and press forward short before your vehicle will jump forward and accelerate without a driver inside.

These are just a few things wich are very dumb and wich dont exist in any modern FPS.
  8. karlooo

To stop and park a vehicle you got to put it into neutral gear and apply the hand break.
    I guess if you press forward key for a short duration game thinks you want to accelerate so it shifts you into the first gear (applies some gas) and your vehicle moves forward with no one inside.

Vehicle physics, extreme landscape in PS2, together with some vehicles being badly designed all together causes your problems. The Sunderer drives like a garbage truck.
  9. Trigga

Why is everyone around here so eager to shout 'git gud' like a bunch of 8 year olds on a playground?

What the OP mentions is absolutely ridiculous in a modern shooter:

• Tracked vehicles(MBT & Lightning) with very limited grip; on an incline and want to turn your tank around? Be prepared to slide sideways as you do it. Can grip forwards and backwards, but sideways hell no. This CANNOT be intended gameplay.
    • 80 tonne vehicles(MBTs) that can get pushed around and flipped over by a harraser, or worse a flash.
    • Tanks do not sit still if youre on a slope, no matter how tiny the slope the tank will move slightly, meaning constant adjustment to aim when shelling. Same problem sundy had at BETA / launch, when deployed it would move slowly killing people and even turning itself upside down or moving up cliffs.
    • If your driving a tank over a ridge and you turn at the same time, about 40% of the time your tank will drive up into the air, as if taken by the wind like some sort of giant sail. If you dont release your forward key youll end up flipping right over. This is NOT intended gameplay.
    • Sundys roll far too easily, as mentioned.
    • Small rocks and pebbles can sometimes decide to send you into orbit...
    The vehicle physics are broken and always have been, you get used to it, but calling it gameplayis pushing it a bit.
    I cant help but think most people posting in here dont drive very often, probably have an 'i hate vehicles' mentality, and are generaly biased against anyone who does.

PS: also a good place to mention the ever present double reload bug, double vehicle spawn bug, and of course the age old 'cannot exit vehicle because all exits are blocked' despite them clearly not being blocked
    Side note: If your a passenger and it says 'all exit blocked' the driver can still kick you out by locking the vehicle. In this case it places the passenger on the top of the vehicle. So the top clearly is an exit point, why wont the game let us exit to there if the sides are blocked?
    • Up x 4
  10. KillerXDLZ

I hate that it feels like everything is made of soap. Almost all vehicles slide everywhere all the time even with high levels of "Combat Chassis" this is really noticeable with a lightning, even the smallest angles can make the lightning slide all way dowhill with no control. Combat Chassis is obrigatory in every vehicle.
    • Up x 1
  11. Johannes Kaiser

Don't forget that Harassers seem to have their center mass in the spot where the top gun is. Now, I'm all for that thing being hit some with the nerfhammer, but it shouldn't happen via physics. Often enough this has prevented us (a few friends and me) from reaching a destination because of, say, a tiny root that SHOULD NOT DO ANYTHING, but completely flips over the vehicle. Cuz, we are few enough to actually use the little buggy as a transport.
  12. PlanetBound

The Ant does the same thing. You hop out and it jumps 50 feet.