Ideas to improve PS2 or for PS3..

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tozze101, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Tozze101

I'll just start off by saying i've been around this game for 4-5 years and have little to no experience with PS1. I play for a few months then take a break for a couple of months and sadly i lost my main account in 2017 due to pc issues and general poor password maintenance. Yes, i also get salty and yes i question ps2 sometimes when it acts in weird ways and when that bad connection player kills you several seconds after you reached the safety of cover or a spawnroom.

Now when that's done with, how do we make PS2 more interesting?
    I'm no elite player or "tryhard" as some will call it but i still enjoy being an average player going up against a mix of low skill and high skill players when it's a big fight. I tend to avoid smaller fights because of the high skill players often dominating those fights and for people below high skill it's often not fun. That being said, i would like to see more big battles.

I've heard alot of ideas over the years with some being hexbased capturepoints in open fields to bases being more closed so you can't get hit by aircrafts or vehicles. Some of the ideas sound pretty good but i have no idea how it will change the experience or the flow of the battle.

I do think that a second continent opening up is bad for the game with the games low pop in recent years and the limit should be higher before a second continent opens up. I would rather see thousands of people stuffed into one continent with every lane being filled with 96+'s. The closed bases is also something i would like to see in that getting from spawnroom to points should be secured but NOT thin hallways. Even a densely packed set of buildings with the point being a big building with point in the middle and outlying rooms bordering it or buildings people can move through. The room with the point should also be more open and not a small compact place where a c4 can easily clear it. Ti Alloys is one good base in my opinion because of the big room with ok cover against aircraft and vehicles. I would like to see more cover to get to that room like buildings and/or roof with barriers making vehicles and aircraft useless.

Yes i still think there should be an outside access so light assaults and airdrops can ambush it but not a direct access to the point. In my mind that would force vehicles and aircraft to battle on the open fields instead but there's still a problem with how to make big vehicle battles happen more often. First you need the pop. Yes this means a zerg basically. These vehicles would have to push points in the open field between bases until they reach a base and can setup for a base assault.

Now i'm open to constructive thoughts on this and pointers to how YOU feel about it. Forget what you heard from a third party and give your own ideas. Keep in mind that i'm not talking about weapon dmg, designs or anything like that. I'm talking about the macro scale and how to improve the experience.

Yes, this discussion probably came up before but i'm curious what you guys think (veteran or new players)
  2. Johannes Kaiser

Not viable. THis would only create queues, so about 500 players are stuck on Koltyr for hours on end.
  3. ZDarkShadowsZ

While I can agree there should be only one continent open at a time, I can't say I agree with cramming everyone onto it. I made a thread about opening up Koltyr as a battle island: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps...should-be-turned-into-a-battle-island.253034/

I think this would be a far better option than jamming a ton of players into a continent. I know the game was designed for big fights, but the problem is that the bases are clearly not. You use Ti Alloys as an example, so I will use that too. That base is the absolute cancer of Indar. 96+ at The Crown (or 48-96 at the very least), Ceres Hydro having 48-96+ pushing up to Ti, defenders at Ti being 48-96 or more often, 96+. That's a lot of population eaten up for the game. Cobalt and Miller alone have a max of about 800-870 players during primetime. imagine 96+ on those 3 bases. And if we were to assume that those 3 bases had a total of 100 players on each side (and that's just assuming..there's likely more than that on many occasions), that's already 300 of that population eaten up.

Now, if we were to include other lattice bases like the fight between Indar Excavation and Quartz Ridge Camp, that's about 60-100 players on either side. This means 120-200 of that max pop is taken out again. So a total of 420-500/800-870 gone. Then we take another base lattice fight, Mao and Howling Pass Checkpoint. That's another 60-80 players (sometimes more in favour of whomever defends HPC) on either side. So another 120-160, totalling 540-660 of the max server population gone.

Next, we take another fight, the constant push-pull fight between Regent Rock Garrison, Xeno Tech Labs, and Crossroads Watchtower. Tower bases are often more difficult to acquire as they end up working in favour of the defenders (as usually one point is within the tower itself, closest to the spawn room). This fight can be between 60-100 players on each side. This means another 120-200 of that max population eaten up. This means a grand total of players fighting at common locations to be between 660-860. That's a lot of population eaten up and leaves very few players left over to fight at other bases.

Sometimes I will grant you that Allatum gets a good fight, so does Indar Comm Array. But overall, they end up being secondary 'common' fights should Ti, QRC, or Indar Exc. be taken.

I will agree that Ti Alloys is a good base, but I will wholeheartedly say that the hexes that it incorporates are most certainly not. It's a terribly designed region of the map that promotes hours of stalemates, gridlocks, and wasted population during alerts. I have seen many a time when a faction has lost an alert they should have won, not just because they had the most pop on the server, but had the most regions nearing the end of the alert, but lose because everyone wants to join the big fight, and that big fight in the centre of Indar literally eats into that population needed to keep the lead, and win the alert.

Ti Alloys in that respect, is an absolutely terrible base and should a nuclear blast obliterate that area, I won't shed a single tear. The rocky bridge that connects it to The Crown, the crappy designed vehicle area for defenders where they can't even leave their own damn base. Attackers can't even spawn close to the base because any Sunderer parked close enough ends up being a shielded one which can be seen from miles away, or a cloaked one in which is left open for easy attack because it's a known spot everyone uses. Players are then forced to park their Sunderers across from the base, requiring them to do the walk of death across an already rammed tight enemy vehicle bay often filled with vehicles popping them off one by one. In addition to that, players are forced even further to walk, by use of a useless Sunderer parking spot by rocks, which further forces attackers to pass an open field that causes them to be farmed. Anyone attacking from Ceres Hydro is stuck at a height disadvantage by which defenders of Ti can just pop heads. I could go on and on about how poorly designed that area is.

I get that Ti is a fun base to you, but it's not for me. And I can 100% guarantee it's not for many other players too. When you've played the game for years and years, the only use it has is to aurax weapons. All it's good for is watching players in Yell chat brag about how they scored some whopping number of kills.
  4. Tozze101

Holy crap, ok i'll try to get through it all.
    First of all i was refering Ti Alloys as a good base design in general. The outlying areas, yah those are bad. It's one of the reasons i think Indar is the worst continent. Towerbases in my opinion are also not fun. It ends up being an arty fest with just a squad or two trying to cap points. I often say that bases should be about infantry only and no vehicles but alot of bases end up being a question of "did we bring enough vehicles to supress the enemy in their spawn?"

Ok then, no hexes. What if bases were just about infantry then? I've made another post about why i grow tired of this game after just a month or two. It's the same boring thing. As you said, people zerg and that brings alot of vehicles and it's fun for a base or two but then people start to leave because it's not fun gameplay. There's often no counterzerg and only thing stopping it is when they reach a towerbase, ampstation or even biolab etc. Yes, open fields should be about tankbattles and aircraft bombings etc but right now vehicles can get almost everywhere and it turns infantryplay into another vehicle vs infantry play.

Amerish and Hossin is two of my favorite continents due to the limiting factor of vehicles in many places even though aircrafts can get anywhere. A couple of bases in Amerish have plenty of AA turrets and Hossin is a pain for amateur pilots. There's also Hossin which is hard for wide vehicle convoys to traverse and lots of cover for infantry to hide behind to take out vehicles. I'm not saying remove vehicles but remove them from basecapping.

Ok, when it comes to pop i get what you're saying but i also can't agree that another continent opening up so early is a good idea. IF the three hotspots on Indar weren't there then the entire map could field more people. A balance need to be made so areas like those three bases doesn't become the epicentre of pop. It's not just infantry. It's just as many people in aircrafts and groundbased vehicles.

Edit: Oh i forgot to clarify. I'm not saying jam them all into one continent but let the pop build up until they reach a big enough level to field enough of 48-96 or 96+ fights on both continents. Right now it's more like we get a handful of 48-96 fights then suddenly a new continent opens up and 1/3 of the pop goes there instead
  5. icufos

These ideas are just off the top of my head and probably flawed. I'm sure some will have problems with them or maybe not.

1. Add hoverbikes to all factions. Both hoverbikes.
    2. Add rear view to all vehicles.
    3. Add ability to 'name change' which is free.
    4. Add some kind of 'advantage' to 1st time players for a limited time period.
    5. Add very generous 'bounty's' on the best players heads.

Incidently a nice post 'Tozze101'. This game needs alot more players like you. Happy New Year.
  6. Tozze101

Thank you but i can't say i'm good in any way for the game. I'm starting to get frustrated by the game and how it has evolved over the years.

1. Not bad and sure that would be nice to see. Always wondered how they handle but i don't see them that often.
    2. Yes, i've seen this suggested before and would be a nice feature.
    3. Yes, definetly
    4. Sure, why not. Extra shields, extra health or something in those ways. They already earn certs pretty fast.
    5. That could help new players who keep dying to that same high skilled player. Atleast it would motivate them more to try especially when trying to defend their base when it gets assaulted by high skill players. Who knows. Maybe even get newer players off zergs and out to smaller fights to get that bounty

Happy new year to you too. Hope 2020 becomes a great year