What to set as render distance?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Okjoek, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Okjoek

I normally have it cranked all the way up to 6000 since my PC can handle it just fine, although I keep everything else potato settings, what I want to ask is there any benefit to having it at 6000? Do projectiles actually travel that far? Or can I actually see incoming aircraft out that full distance?
  2. JibbaJabba

I think it's 3-4k that's your super max viewing.
    If flying 1k is roughly minimum.
    For infantry the minimum, 500, is fine. Anything you'll interact with will fall in that range.

There IS input lag on any value above 200 (achievable via the .ini, 500 is minimum for ingame slider). See Iridar for details I think.

Even on a PC running 150-200fps, you'll FEEL it. Try it out. Do some mouse whips at 6k then slide it down to 500 and do the same.

What I do:
    Most of the time I just leave it at 6k or some arbitrarily high value above 4k (I slide it sloppy :p )
    If I'm in a longer infantry fight where I need my "A game" against formidable opponents I'll slide it down to 500.
    I don't usually flip back to 4-6k again until I go to fly and realize how I can't see.
  3. LodeTria

Vehicles stop rendering at 1,000 odd meters, so anything beyond 1.2k is just for scenery. I tend to run 2k when flying so I can navigate the map without pulling up the map.
  4. Pikachu

Terrain render distance is determined by the map.

Amerish 2700m
    Indar 2400m
    Esamir 2200m
    Hossin 1500m
    • Up x 1
  5. icufos

Extremely helpful. Thanks.
  6. OneShadowWarrior

It’s capped at 2600, anything beyond that is diminishing returns that negatively effects your performance. I know the default is 4000, but the developers nerfed this awhile back without changing the values in settings.