Arena shutting down

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Okjoek, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Okjoek

2. Campagne

Wow, already?

At least they had the guts to pull out I guess.
    • Up x 1
  3. AlcyoneSerene

After the fixes to mouse responsiveness I did enjoy PS:A, but was too busy playing PS2 instead.

I hope PS:A assets can be salvaged and somehow ported into PS2, minus the cartoonish style artwork. Special mention to the sound effects in PS:A, they were so well done.

So in part sad, cause PS:A was a fun game to have on the side, but glad that now they finally realize efforts should be put into the main game, PS2, as it should have been done from the start.

I should also add that the gamble box crates system is no fun whatsoever, and PS:A lacked something more persistent as PS2 does with certs, ISO, event items, stats, different factions, outfits, and the big scale battles.

Similarly, mini-goals are not fun in comparison to an open world sandbox (PS2) where you choose how to play or what you feel like doing or what to practice and improve on.
  4. OgreMarkX

5. FLHuk

All the time effort and drive PS2 could have benefited from :(
    • Up x 11
  6. TR5L4Y3R

don´t know exactly what you mean by minigoals, but "fun" being subjective and me being a Mechwarrior: Online player it doesn´t have to always be openworld sandbox for me ...

sandbox has both advantages and disadvantages .... with a linear experience you know what you are getting and likely are to play with consistent competition ... sandbox as PS2 very well shows your competition can be very inconsistent and random ..

the way i see battle royal it´s a compromise between the 2
  7. Towie

Inevitable i'm afraid.

[IMG]

Going from 1461 players peak to less than 100 in 1 month is a very poor performance - and flatlining way below that for the next 2 months - DBG call it 'brave' to pull it, I call it 'common sense'.
    • Up x 3
  8. Leidz

Finally PS2 can get more attention now!
  9. TR5L4Y3R

yea ... "more" ... considering the last wave of layoffs i rather say it merely gets the attention it had back then ..
    • Up x 1
  10. Pelojian

because allowing transfers from briggs to connery was a good idea alongside the time when they de-equalized the velocities of tank guns, made stock tanks have front and side armor with the same mitigation % until they realized they goofed.

i wouldn't hold my breath on PS2, i'd wait and see if they make a proper sequel that isn't a carbon copy of battle royal which is already crowded with successful competitors.

i mean c'mon they blatantly recycled assets for PS:A.
  11. OpolE

"LONG LIVE PLANETSIIIHAHAHAIDE 1"
    • Up x 3
  12. DarkStarAnubis

Arena was not DOA but DBA even without Apex Legend.

Let's hope DBG will learn something from its catastrophic failure, even if I do not have a lot of hope judging the last stream and the idiotic discussion about ASP re-cert that followed.
  13. BloodArmoredApostle

Hate to say it, but it tells you that Daybreak has no ideas of how to improve its current brand. It basically is leeching off the PS2 brand to death. They can't come out with new things for ps2 population. They go ahead with a failing project PSA. Anyone that like the game to me is like a child going to a fast food restaurant. Battle Royals are the fast food of gaming. If this is how Daybreak Sees the current IP they own right now, PS2 is doomed to die and the only ones that will hold this game up will be the playerbase. Companies after awhile get lofty and lazy and forget about their player base thinking they can increase the size of non-existent customers in this genre. Im actually glad PSA failed it was a cash grab that was a molded cheeseburger from Mcds. So, much depth of play in PS2, but yet they do not have an idea of how to improve their product? IT is so simple to look at the product to see it for what it is and improve upon it. Stop trying to skip, the actual meat of your product DB. No one wants your fast food trash PSA knockoff embarrassment. They didn't think before submitting that mistake of a title as a product. They hurt planetside 2 even more. I can come up with a better idea of how to improve the game and I bet every veteran or even new player could. Such an embarrassment, and well deserved for DB I do not have any remorse for a bad product.
    • Up x 1
  14. DarkStarAnubis

I do hope DBG will invest some time to figure out why Arena failed so quickly and - most of all- to understand PS2 player base.

PS2 is not and will never be a game for the masses/casual players. It is way too complex, it has a steep learning curve, it takes an awful lot of time to master even marginally (e.g. a single class).

If they want a product for the masses (I am not saying that in negative sense, just pointing out that there are a lot of people who want a quick entry point and fast acclimatation and then start to rock and roll) they should consider something else, an over-simplified PS2 with vanilla vehicles and weapons (almost no attachments, too complex to learn and master) and lots of cosmetics to make money with.

But this is not PS2 as it is now. And it is not something the vast majority of people playing this for more than one calendar year want (my impression of course).

DBG is at a junction now. Time to choose a path.
  15. Liewec123

nope!
    time for them to waste resources on another spinoff game instead of PS2!
    they've already mentioned PS3 and how they want it to be massive on scales like Star Citizen,
    and this is a company that couldn't even downsize PS2 into a BR game, now they want to upscale it a thousand times.
    might aswell just flush our PS2 cash down the toilet XD
    • Up x 1
  16. Kristan

F

Thanks for the Diamondback.
  17. BrbImAFK

Those video's in your post. SO MUCH THAT!

Oy, DBG - Quit pissing about with all this new fangled nonsense, and go back to doing what made Planetside great in the first place!
    • Up x 2
  18. iller

Calling it right now... Most of their resources will go into some Autoplay Strategy Mobile phone game instead
    • Up x 1
  19. YellowJacketXV

Press F to pay respects.

F

I think this should be considered a new start for PlanetSide based content. Now DBG knows (in a more business and concrete setting) that the Niche of PlanetSide 2 is stronger than an attempt at lowest common denominator gameplay attempts.

This can only mean good news for PlanetSide as a whole going forward, where the product identity will still remain firm.

I can only home that in the future, once the new player content updates are completed, PlanetSide receives a much-needed relaunch and improved visibility.
  20. OneShadowWarrior

LMAO! They didn’t listen to the Veteran Community and Arena was a good idea, just poorly implemented, look at how much Call of Duty raked in by hype alone, eventhough it’s a ridiculous farm fest game several years out before it’s fixed.